EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
May

LithiaWx

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply

39 here at the airport. Dropped to 60 in the house :shiver: I wish we could bottle up this air for whats coming next week and most of the Summer. Its actually refreshing. Next up is a couple of interesting waves for the Carolinas. Tomorrow a strong, but moisture starved system will move overhead, probably be able to rain in eastern and southern GA and eastern CArolinas, maybe light sprinkles anywhere early tomorrow. The better chance comes Mother's Day with a much stronger and wetter system. That actually could have severe cells anchoring on the spine of the APPS and cutting southeast across the Piedmont of both Carolinas Sunday. This is possibly the beginning of the MCS environment I mentioned a while back. I think Sunday could be an active day , north of the system in VA more general rains, transitioning quickly in NC and SC to isolated supercells.

post-38-0-86279800-1304608551.gif

I got down to 36 at the top of my yard. The bottom sits 20 feet lower so Im sure it was lower. I had frost on the roofs and cars. I didnt notice any on the vegetation but I got out late. Ive never seen it frost like this in May. Now all we need is for Snowstorm2011 to come report that KATL was 50 degrees this morning and start complaining about the warmth.

I'll complain for him, lol. I could only muster 41 last night.

But man, it felt good with the windows open and under a blanket. I hope this is the start of many more surprisingly cold summer nights in a year of oddities so far...well, ok, so Christmas snow was last year...but I count it as this year, because it was this winter :) And, if it is truely the beginning of a new ice age, we will be getting some June snow one of these years, lol, so I'm really looking forward to that!! T

Hey foothills, MHX sorta hits on that MCS or NW flow that you have been mentioning recently. Seems we will have a few shots at some of these kind of events next week.

...A NORTHWEST FLOW ALOFT WILL

CONTINUE AND THIS PATTERN WILL BE CONDUCIVE TO NW FLOW SHORTWAVES

WHICH COULD LEAD TO CONVECTION OVER THE REGION PER BOTH THE GFS

AND ECMWF GUIDANCE. TEMPS WILL REMAIN AT OR A LITTLE ABOVE NORMAL.-- End Changed Discussion --

Hey foothills, MHX sorta hits on that MCS or NW flow that you have been mentioning recently. Seems we will have a few shots at some of these kind of events next week.

...A NORTHWEST FLOW ALOFT WILL

CONTINUE AND THIS PATTERN WILL BE CONDUCIVE TO NW FLOW SHORTWAVES

WHICH COULD LEAD TO CONVECTION OVER THE REGION PER BOTH THE GFS

AND ECMWF GUIDANCE. TEMPS WILL REMAIN AT OR A LITTLE ABOVE NORMAL.-- End Changed Discussion --

I agree with them. The ridge is going to setup over MS/AL meaning nw flow in the Carolinas, and the GFS has been honing in on this a while, but is now beefing up daily convection. There's strong diffluence shown in 1000/500mb thkns pattern on atleast a couple days next week and thats usually good enough to fire storms if there's moisture and no cap..so far, I think chances are excellent for eastern NC especially to get nailed. Even west of I-77, a lot of times in May and June, thats a prime period for nw flow severe events here , and esp. the central and eastern Carolinas. I hope it happens because it would be once again the synoptic pattern dictating what happens against a very bad MOS.

I agree with them. The ridge is going to setup over MS/AL meaning nw flow in the Carolinas, and the GFS has been honing in on this a while, but is now beefing up daily convection. There's strong diffluence shown in 1000/500mb thkns pattern on atleast a couple days next week and thats usually good enough to fire storms if there's moisture and no cap..so far, I think chances are excellent for eastern NC especially to get nailed. Even west of I-77, a lot of times in May and June, thats a prime period for nw flow severe events here , and esp. the central and eastern Carolinas. I hope it happens because it would be once again the synoptic pattern dictating what happens against a very bad MOS.

I've always been a fan of the NW flow events. Its always fun to sit here and watch a line of convection clearing the mountains wondering if it is going to fizzle or ramp up as it drops SE towards us. Sometimes they are severe and sometimes not but they usually cover alot of the area with a good bit of rain. While we aren't in drought conditions here and the ponds are staying at bankful i'm not sure how well our ground table has recovered from the years of drought yet.

Down to 36° here as well for the low. Unbelievable of cold it has gotten around here considering the time of year we're in. I was forced to turn on the heat just to stay comfortable.

I'm pretty interested in how next week pans out. Depending on where that frontal boundary sets up will determine the direction that these individual systems go. I'm thinking that they will cross from say IL through NC. Of course timing of each disturbances will be important in just how much convection we manage to see develop, influencing rain chances but given the setup of this pattern the opportunities look good for your typical afternoon/evening thunderstorms; something that I've been yearning for a while now. It would make May look good in the long run with decent amounts of rainfall.

Didn't keep up with the board while I was on Spring vacation whats the word Phil?

I got a full ride into SUNY-Albany for Tropical Meteorology to work towards my PhD. I'll be moving in August! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Gonna miss all you folks though!

to keep this post on topic... we have had a nice recovery today! Looks like our high will be somewhere around 66 degrees.

Yep, we went from 34 to 68... nice 34 degree rise! smile.gif It's kinda overcast now, very high clouds.

On a side note, if anyone is going to be around the Atlanta Motor Speedway this weekend, the SCCA Atlanta National Tour is being held on Saturday and Sunday. There are 256 drivers competing. You can read more about it here. Oh yea, I'll be there! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

If you're in the area, come on down, it's free for spectators and you can wander just about everywhere except the course. I'll be hanging out around the silver car in my avatar (but not the old guy, he's the owner)! Our class runs in the morning both days and starts at 9 am on Saturday and 8 am on Sunday. So sometime between 9-11 I'll be driving.

I noticed that they will also have a live online stream: http://ustream.tv/channel/SCCASolo

I saw a little thing on our local forecast saying that the Cartersville airport broke it's record low yesterday morning. They hit 33 and the old record was 36. Normally, I'm the same or a little colder than the airport but I only showed 36 yesterday morning.

Yep, we went from 34 to 68... nice 34 degree rise! smile.gif It's kinda overcast now, very high clouds.

On a side note, if anyone is going to be around the Atlanta Motor Speedway this weekend, the SCCA Atlanta National Tour is being held on Saturday and Sunday. There are 256 drivers competing. You can read more about it here. Oh yea, I'll be there! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

If you're in the area, come on down, it's free for spectators and you can wander just about everywhere except the course. I'll be hanging out around the silver car in my avatar (but not the old guy, he's the owner)! Our class runs in the morning both days and starts at 9 am on Saturday and 8 am on Sunday. So sometime between 9-11 I'll be driving.

I noticed that they will also have a live online stream: http://ustream.tv/channel/SCCASolo

the Mitty?.... I was there last year. We are going to Summit Point this year with our Datsuns...

I am intrigued that you guys are in the mindset a NW flow pattern bods well for ENC as I have been thinking the opposite since it starting showing up on some of the guidance about a week ago. My experience this time of year in NW flow, barring weak coastal development, has been a QPF screw pattern here... I attribute this to down-slopping, limited instab given time of year and flow, and usually lackluster impulses which are already predisposed to underperformance. Not nearly as vested in the garden as in years past because I am back in school, trying to finish up the elusive masters (3 classes left!), however, the brambles are almost down flowering and setting fruit, and that means I need 1-2" a week till the middle of summer. Also, the blueberries look to have what I would call a bumper crop, and need the H20. Got a few maters, and the usual perennials which I can hit up with the hose if need be during dry periods, but the berries would put to much of a hurting on the water bill to even consider dowsing them with 1-2" a week.

As is life in Eastern NC, if you don't like the weather wait a couple hours and it will change. American guidance in the short term was all over the place, as was RAH and MHX. Case in point, RAH had Goldsboro with 70% pops for today in the evening package yesterday, MHX had Greenville in the 20% pop for the same period. This morning, offices switched, RAH gave Goldsboro 20% chance of QPF during the day, MHX gave PGV 70% chance we see some liquid gold. 6z NAM paints a swatch of >0.75" QPF along the coastal plain, 12z NAM taketh away. GFS somewhat consistent on 1/2" or so centered along the NC/SC boarder, Lumberton to ILM type deal. Looking at the radar unfold this afternoon, what a cluster on all parts, and I will be happy with whatever falls, as we need it!

post-382-0-03853400-1304712829.png

I am intrigued that you guys are in the mindset a NW flow pattern bods well for ENC as I have been thinking the opposite since it starting showing up on some of the guidance about a week ago. My experience this time of year in NW flow, barring weak coastal development, has been a QPF screw pattern here... I attribute this to down-slopping, limited instab given time of year and flow, and usually lackluster impulses which are already predisposed to underperformance.

Yeah normally I don't like nw flow east of the mountains either, but in this case I think for central and eastern sections of both Carolinas it will be pretty good for daily storms on atleast a couple days next week. Not just the MCC events, if any of those even materialize, but there will be good low level convergence and a very high dewpoint/muggy atmosphere with no cap. Usually the opposite is the case, esp. for my area in nw flow, with a strong ridge and cap, but that may not be the case, even here, next week. So I'll stick with pretty good Tstorm coverage for Mon/Tues, and perhaps Sunday with a strong disturbance, but of course my forecast could bust. Dewpoints will be near 70, and a good southeast to southerly/sw flow at the surface, with weak ripples aloft, and temps easily reaching convective potential, no cap until you get closer west to the ridge, probably on the Al,TN side. After this, the GFS and ECMWF are worlds apart for the long range. GFS has a massive upper low in the Ohio Valley retrograding to a good spot for rains east of the apps again. The Euro did have this but lost it. Lately the GFS has really been killing the Euro in the day 7 to 10.

GFS dewpoint 108 hour:

post-38-0-78671200-1304722660.gif

post-38-0-52267700-1304722712.gif

post-38-0-80836800-1304722683.gif

Archived