joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May

LithiaWx

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's good signs that the -NAO is resurging for May, and we're entering a time of MCC activity. The GFS and ECMWF both have this, strong west based Greenland blocking,and this time of year that equates to convective complexes coming down from the northern Plains and Upper Midwest, straight into the MidAtlantic or Carolinas. I think there will be a boundary numerous times somewhere between that area, stretching northwest to southeast, meaning a good chance of storms on both sides of the boundary, with cold rains in the Ohio Valley and MidAtlantic to very active thunderstorms on the other side of the boundary in the TENN valley and Apps region. This bodes well for the central Carolinas and eastern sections down to eastern GA to get into some rainfall which is badly needed. Unfortunately, there will be major thunderstorms, and a lot of hailers , esp. in and around the APPS (usually that happens in this flow). There's also a secondary max of tornadoes that occur in NC with nw flow storms in May and June, esp. in the lee sections west of I-77, just something to keep in mind. Otherwise, I'm expecting a very active first half of May for a big chunk of the East and on both sides of the Apps, with rainfall above normal generally in my green zone. I think particularly high rain amounts will occur in the Appalachians and in zone from Ind, Oh, WVA, VA ,KY, and TN/NC mtns.

The flip side is a bad drought continuing and heatwaves beginning in western Texas and the Southwest.

post-38-0-13826100-1304082530.gif

post-38-0-24008800-1304082536.gif

post-38-0-69928100-1304082538.gif

post-38-0-20604400-1304082541.gif

post-38-0-22848500-1304082545.gif

post-38-0-81337300-1304082564.jpg

There's good signs that the -NAO is resurging for May, and we're entering a time of MCC activity. The GFS and ECMWF both have this, strong west based Greenland blocking,and this time of year that equates to convective complexes coming down from the northern Plains and Upper Midwest, straight into the MidAtlantic or Carolinas. I think there will be a boundary numerous times somewhere between that area, stretching northwest to southeast, meaning a good chance of storms on both sides of the boundary, with cold rains in the Ohio Valley and MidAtlantic to very active thunderstorms on the other side of the boundary in the TENN valley and Apps region. This bodes well for the central Carolinas and eastern sections down to eastern GA to get into some rainfall which is badly needed. Unfortunately, there will be major thunderstorms, and a lot of hailers , esp. in and around the APPS (usually that happens in this flow). There's also a secondary max of tornadoes that occur in NC with nw flow storms in May and June, esp. in the lee sections west of I-77, just something to keep in mind. Otherwise, I'm expecting a very active first half of May for a big chunk of the East and on both sides of the Apps, with rainfall above normal generally in my green zone. I think particularly high rain amounts will occur in the Appalachians and in zone from Ind, Oh, WVA, VA ,KY, and TN/NC mtns.

The flip side is a bad drought continuing and heatwaves beginning in western Texas and the Southwest.

Cant remember who it was now but someone from TWC or NOAA was on one of the news shows last night and was asked what the rest of the spring looked like and he pretty much said the pattern is going to hold and with the days getting longer and warmer he was afraid that May was going to be as bad if not worse than April.

We are already really putting pressure on FEMA and other relief agencies, and the dollar amount of damage done by spring storms by the end of May is liable to be mind boggling, then throw in a few landfalling hurricanes in the summer and this is shaping up to be a very costly year.

While it's great that we are getting continuous chances of rain for once, I feared about us experiencing extreme storminess across the Southeast. This volatile pattern that we're in has proven to be one of, if not, the most impressive setups I have ever seen during a Spring season. Considering the events that we have already been through with the tornadic outbreaks and such, it begs the question: Are we possibly repeating history's worst severe weather events this year and if so, what analogs could we tie in into this? I don't know about the rest of you folks, but I sense that we have been overdue for several nasty rounds of extreme weather on a level like recent times to occur and unfortunately its decided to rear its head for this Spring. It is very interesting of how this season has been so far after a cold and snowy winter, and I had a feeling this could mean an active Spring was in order but that's just my thinking. This will surely be a season to speak of for years to come...

Another big rain event for the lower Midwest , same areas basically that have had 15" to 20" the last 4 weeks. This time it looks like ARK is ground zero. Still some questions on where the low closes off, but it doesn't look like a big deal for east of the mtns in GA or the CArolinas where we still need rain, but some is likely since the front is slow moving. I still think in a couple of weeks the Carolinas and eastern GA will be in a better pattern for rain, unfortunately storms could become severe with that setup as well.

post-38-0-52384300-1304191642.jpg

Another big rain event for the lower Midwest , same areas basically that have had 15" to 20" the last 4 weeks. This time it looks like ARK is ground zero. Still some questions on where the low closes off, but it doesn't look like a big deal for east of the mtns in GA or the CArolinas where we still need rain, but some is likely since the front is slow moving. I still think in a couple of weeks the Carolinas and eastern GA will be in a better pattern for rain, unfortunately storms could become severe with that setup as well.

post-38-0-52384300-1304191642.jpg

In a couple of weeks? I need some dry weather for a while. Seems like rain two and three times a week lately. Grass is growing out of control!!!! I know you need some but i will gladly let you get it for a week or twothumbsupsmileyanim.gif

In a couple of weeks? I need some dry weather for a while. Seems like rain two and three times a week lately. Grass is growing out of control!!!! I know you need some but i will gladly let you get it for a week or twothumbsupsmileyanim.gif

well actually my area is doing pretty good on the rain this Spring, believe it or not. (but I don't foresee me ever wishing rains to cease LOL) I think the central and eastern Carolinas are more in need of it now, and still probably not quite good enough yet there to deliver good rains (usually when mega rains occur west of the Apps--the opposite occurs east of the Apps). This front will once again probably have little rain in central SC esp, and much more as you get nw into NC near your area. You're just in a great spot for rain seems like, no matter what.

well actually my area is doing pretty good on the rain this Spring, believe it or not. (but I don't foresee me ever wishing rains to cease LOL) I think the central and eastern Carolinas are more in need of it now, and still probably not quite good enough yet there to deliver good rains (usually when mega rains occur west of the Apps--the opposite occurs east of the Apps). This front will once again probably have little rain in central SC esp, and much more as you get nw into NC near your area. You're just in a great spot for rain seems like, no matter what.

I know Robert we all will take rain but its hard to get work done in my line of work when it rains for 2 and 3 days every 5-10 days. Hard to make money like that.

Nobody has said anything but "could" there be a chance of some light frost Wednesday night for the typical cold areas (outside mtns)?

From RAD

FORECAST 1000 TO 850 MILLIBAR THICKNESSES FOR THURSDAY MORNING MORE

TYPICAL FOR MID MARCH. WINDS SHOULD CALM LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT A

SURFACE HIGH APPROACHES FROM THE WEST. IF TODAYS MORNING MODELS

CONTINUE THESE COOL THICKNESSES THE FORECAST OF LOW TO MID 40S WILL

HAVE TO BE NUDGED DOWNWARD. HOWEVER PLAYING THE GENERAL MODEL COLD

BIAS IS STILL JUSTIFIED AT THIS TIME.

Getting a decent t-storm here, heavy core with probably small hail going just south, but a lot of thunder and some OK rain, but it will be over quick. Not expecting too much, probably only a tenth or less.

:thumbsup: radar looked great here about 30 minutes ago. i felt sure that the storm would hit, but it ended up looking much more impressive on radar than it was. a little rain, a couple of claps of thunder then the sun came back out. hopefully we can get those storms south of atl to move through n ga :scooter:

5311thunderstorm.png

WUUS51 KRNK 032248SVRRNK

NCC005-009-171-193-VAC035-077-032345-

/O.NEW.KRNK.SV.W.0105.110503T2248Z-110503T2345Z/

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BLACKSBURG VA

648 PM EDT TUE MAY 3 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BLACKSBURG HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

ALLEGHANY COUNTY IN NORTHWEST NORTH CAROLINA

EASTERN ASHE COUNTY IN NORTHWEST NORTH CAROLINA

NORTHWESTERN SURRY COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA

NORTHERN WILKES COUNTY IN NORTHWEST NORTH CAROLINA

SOUTHEASTERN GRAYSON COUNTY IN SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA

SOUTHERN CARROLL COUNTY IN SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA

* UNTIL 745 PM EDT.

* AT 644 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING ONE INCH DIAMETER HAIL...

AND DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED

NEAR LAUREL SPRINGS...OR NEAR GLENDALE SPRINGS...AND MOVING

NORTHEAST AT 30 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

LAUREL SPRINGS...

DOUGHTON PARK...

WHITEHEAD...

GLADE VALLEY...

BARRETT...

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

DOPPLER RADAR HAS INDICATED SOME WEAK ROTATION WITHIN THIS STORM.

WHILE NOT IMMEDIATELY LIKELY...A TORNADO MAY STILL DEVELOP. IF A

TORNADO IS SPOTTED...ACT QUICKLY AND MOVE TO A PLACE OF SAFETY IN A

STURDY STRUCTURE...SUCH AS A BASEMENT OR SMALL INTERIOR ROOM.

WHEN IT IS SAFE TO DO SO...PLEASE SEND YOUR REPORTS OF QUARTER OR

LARGER SIZED HAIL...AS WELL AS WIND DAMAGE...INCLUDING TREES OR LARGE

LIMBS DOWNED BY CALLING THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TOLL FREE AT...

1...8 6 6...2 1 5...4 3 2 4.

&&

LAT...LON 3665 8084 3633 8081 3630 8135 3638 8137

TIME...MOT...LOC 2248Z 245DEG 25KT 3637 8129

$

DS

Pretty nasty storm passing Abbeville. Might need to keep an eye on this one for the folks living northeast of this cell. It's had a bad history...

Rotating Thunderstorm

Abbeville County, SC

Max Reflectivity: 70 dBZ

Severe Hail: 80% Chance

Hail: 100% Chance

Max Hail Size: 2.50"

Echo Top: 34,000 ft.

VIL: 54 kg/m²

Radar Site:JGX

2ueobus.jpg

I'm pretty surprised they never issued a watch for this line, there have been 3+ warnings running constantly for about the last 3 hours.

They had parts of western NC in the slight risk this morning then changed it to remove that area from the slight risk. If anything they should have extended it further south lol.......Charlotte looks to get a decent hit if those storms hold up a few are marginally severe.

Watching the one crossing Cherokee county in SC. That storm has strengthened bit by bit for the past several minutes.

About to have the northern fringe pass right over me, it's been going for a while now. Very impressive lighting and thunder, and hear comes the rain.

I just put the dog out and holy crap is it cold. Its 48 degrees with a wind driven rain. It feels like stepping back two months. Im sure Ill sleep good tonight. Its a shame I have to wake up so early.i bet SnoJoe sees some flurries tonight.

I just put the dog out and holy crap is it cold. Its 48 degrees with a wind driven rain. It feels like stepping back two months. Im sure Ill sleep good tonight. Its a shame I have to wake up so early.i bet SnoJoe sees some flurries tonight.

just got in from taking out my dog and noticed that too...its just pouring, windy and cold. there was a little thunder this evening, but nothing all that exciting. about .57" so far (which isnt all that exciting either lol)

Terrific thunderstorm. +50mph initial wind gust, torrential rain with plenty of CC lightning and thunder. The rain at one point fell so hard you would have thought you were beside a waterfall. There was also another point where the lightning produced the most unique sound. The thunder cracked on the west side and boomed on the east and then those sounds acted as if they switched sides ending with loud continuous rumbling for about 10 secs. Most unusual.

Archived