SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Spring Thread

Allenson

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I passed by the stubborn snow pile that I've mentioned a couple of times recently. It's still there, down to about waist high.

A coolish 68.9F with cloudy skies. Purchased some annuals and pots ... thinking I might dump a can of insect repellant on me and brave the mosquito gangland.

Still 20' plus (and well insulated by road sand) on both the AUG snowdumps. Maybe the larger one, under the downstream bridge's east end, will make it for the 4th of July. Very typical BD wx yest, cloudy, a bit of dz, high of 64 after Friday's 80, and today is starting like yest, though that's supposed to change.

Nice TS at 10 Friday eve, lots of flashes (counted 15-20 per minute) but none close. 15 minutes RA dumped 0.22", but the rainfall map (by doppler estimate) showed 2"+ within 10 miles to the north (and zero 10 miles south) and up to 4.5" in the Bigelow-The Forks area. The Sandy was fairly high yest, and as muddy as I've ever seen it, with only June 1998 (Sandy's largest flow without snowmelt in 80 yr records, and over 3X yesterday's peak) for comparison.

Still 20' plus (and well insulated by road sand) on both the AUG snowdumps. Maybe the larger one, under the downstream bridge's east end, will make it for the 4th of July. Very typical BD wx yest, cloudy, a bit of dz, high of 64 after Friday's 80, and today is starting like yest, though that's supposed to change.

Nice TS at 10 Friday eve, lots of flashes (counted 15-20 per minute) but none close. 15 minutes RA dumped 0.22", but the rainfall map (by doppler estimate) showed 2"+ within 10 miles to the north (and zero 10 miles south) and up to 4.5" in the Bigelow-The Forks area. The Sandy was fairly high yest, and as muddy as I've ever seen it, with only June 1998 (Sandy's largest flow without snowmelt in 80 yr records, and over 3X yesterday's peak) for comparison.

Wow... that's d@mn impressive. Far outlasting the natural snow in the mountains.... and even the man-made stuff is going quickly now.

Yesterday the ski area had their last ski event of the season... a terrain park event that drew quite a few people on the remnant piles of snow near the base area.

This will last the longest up there...the half-pipe at Stowe...these walls are still 10-15 feet deep, and where I'm standing is closer to 20 feet deep. As you can see, with all the record rainfall we've had, the Green Mountains are, well, lush green.

IMG_5880_edited-1.jpg

Pretty sweet over here as well. Dunno what the temp is as I'm sitting in my driveway currently, but suffice to say it's warm in the sun on blacktop. lol. Planted some flowers, watering them in and letting the kids run through the sprinkler. Good day, humidity is being kept in check. A nice frosty libation would seal the deal.

77/66... humid. That's the problem with consistent rain... as soon as there are any breaks in the clouds and the sun can heat the waterlogged ground, it gets oppressively humid in a matter of minutes. You can see like steam rising off blacktop and mist hovering over the meadows.

0.10" of rainfall this morning; god forbid it doesn't rain for 12 hours so Mother Nature threw in another tenth between 7-9am this morning for good measure. I think people around here are about to breakdown if we don't get a couple dry days soon.

BTV calling for storms this afternoon with isolated supercells. Then there's the MCS tracking across Chicago and headed towards Detroit that should bring some more rain tonight.

Awesome day. It has become mostly sunny with just some SCT Cu. Up to 81.6F with dews running about 64-65F.

Planted everything the last few days. All kinds of heirloom tomatoes went in. Seems like we wont' get another frost. my soil gets dry quickly though...we need some rain. Yesterday was kinda nasty but today is gorgeous.

Planted everything the last few days. All kinds of heirloom tomatoes went in. Seems like we wont' get another frost. my soil gets dry quickly though...we need some rain. Yesterday was kinda nasty but today is gorgeous.

LOL... night and day difference between the north and south. I'd gladly pass some rain on to you.

Sun wasn't even close to coming out across the high elevations, but we did have a few sunny breaks down here in town. Certainly more clouds than sun though. I'm jealous of all you guys who keep talking about beautiful and gorgeous days of wall-to-wall sunshine.

Northwest to northcentral VT can't buy a sunny day right now. Mountain wave pattern brought the sunny breaks here in the village, but we are back to 100% overcast. More rain showing up on BTV's radar in NNY, if it doesn't come in by 9pm we'll have had our first rain-free 12 hour period in several days.

Next question is... where does that MCS over Detroit track later tonight?

LOL... night and day difference between the north and south. I'd gladly pass some rain on to you.

It must depend on the yard because I don't need any rain. Part of my backyard is still soggy from the past couple of weeks.

Max was 83.4F. Maybe I can flirt with 90F tomorrow although I suspect I'll fall just short with 88F or something.

Which heirloom varieties did you plant?

The heirloom tomatoes I've planted this year are: Dr. Wyche's Yellow, Moonglow, Cherokee Purple, Gold Medal, and Lemon Drop.

I'm also growing some more common hybrid tomatoes such as Better Bush, Lemon Boy, Bonnie Grape, and Early Girl. These are, no surprise, growing faster than the heirlooms but I enjoy the better-flavored tomatoes that yield later in the summer.

Really having nothing but success at this point...already harvested a bunch of arugula, have round two of arugula and mixed lettuces ready in a week's time, peas should be ready to harvest in two weeks, and all the heavy hitters such as eggplant, peppers, and tomatoes have their flowers. Above average temperatures FTW.

Took a hike this afternoon after letting things dry a bit from this morning... of course, the mountain was packed with tourists hiking around. Memorial Day weekend is historically the start of the hiking season and this year and this year the high elevation trails continue to have patchy snow cover (some areas rather sustained areas of snow) and are quite icy in spots. This isn't really even snow anymore... its like block-of-ice that makes for very slow hiking.

I ran into folks from Boston, Manchester, Hartford, Montreal... everyone seemed absolutely shocked to see snow. It seemed like a foreign concept this time of year, haha. "But we haven't had snow in 2-3 months back home..." Welcome to the northern Greens.

Nature's air conditioner...

Filthy pollen, dirt, pine needle covered snow, but nice view, haha.

And this really shocked me... the snow hasn't even completely melted or fallen off the trees up here yet, lol. I can't believe there's still a tree-branch that's holding snow after nearly 1-2 feet of rain pounding down on it over the past 6 weeks, and the severe wind at this 3,600ft location.

been immersed in marine fog for 3 days down here on the coast, finally burned off yesterday afternoon but never got above 68 with a perfect bug removing breeze. pretty good storm last night right over the top of us, 40 min of natures best light show, fishing hasn't been to great but the lobsters have been and the geary's pale ales are goin down nicely

finally lookin like a decent beach day - water at 52 which means Reid will be 49, refreshing!?

Great pics, I can tell you're a snow nut since every single pictures focuses on the white stuff.

I wonder if Marcy/Algnoquin still have solid coverage at like 5000'?

Was there any doubt I'm a snow nut?

There'll be plenty of time this summer for pictures without snow in them, lol.

Also as far as Marcy and the High Peaks go... they may have some left but remember its above treeline where snow actually melts faster on the rocks. Also, they probably get up to 10 feet/120" less snow than the Mansfield-Jay corridor... that's the big difference. I talked with some hikers yesterday who had been in the Lafayette area of the Whites and said there was no snow there last weekend. A Montrealer said they hadn't seen snow in the Adirondacks in a couple weeks but who knows where he was hiking. He could've been at 2,000ft or something.

This time of year you can tell the difference between the 'Dacks and Whites which generally average 200 to maybe 250", vs. the northern Greens where its 300-350" due to maximizing upslope/orographics.Like I'm sure Jay Peak still has snow in the upper elevations.

There are some lower elevation (about 1,000') sites in northern Maine that hold snow/ice well into summer; probably some in northern VT/NH, too. A few with which I'm familiar:

--The NW part of Allagash Lake; the "Ice caves" campsite is well named.

--A spruce-over-boulders area on the NW side of Deboullie Pond (20 miles SW of Ft. Kent) has pockets from which I've gathered ice in July. Nice places to store cool beverages on a hot day, too.

--A mile west of Deboullie lies a large talus slope at the northerly base of Gardner Mt. A few years back, researchers from U.Maine PQI discovered considerable ice 15'+ down among the openings between the boulders (sizes range from wheelbarrow to pickup plus), and have suggested that the ice is relict from the most recent glaciation.

The AUG snowdumps are obviously artifacts not comparable to natural (or even snow-machine) deposits. This year's residual (the bridge dump) is a bit smaller than in 2009 and much less than in 2008, when I took to calling it the central Maine glacier. That snowmass was producing fog on humid mornings into August and the last day I saw frozen stuff there was 8/25, which is nearly as late as the natural stuff has lasted at Paradise Lodge on Rainier.

Looks nice and cool for the end of this week. I for one am looking forward to that. BTV has us painted in for 35F by Saturday morning. Might be covering some of the garden up!

The polar caves in Rumney NH (Central NH) have ice well into summer. I spoke to one of the guys over there and they have to remove a bunch of ice to open them. He said if they didn't do that the ice would last all summer.

Back in the day, there were several large copper mines here in Corinth--a couple ridges north of where we live. My wife mountain bikes up around the old mines sometimes and she was up there just a couple days ago. She said that there's still big ice 'stalagmites' in the mines now. They last pretty deep into the warm season usually...

Some pics here of one of the mines in winter:

http://www.pauljdonovan.us/mines/pike1.html

Quite the thunderstorm early this morning. Woke up to brilliant flashes and cracking thunder. 0.3" of rain overnight. We are just so saturated that now the sun has come out, and in that first hour of sunshine our dewpoint went from 64F to 68F as the low level air is just saturated with moisture. Its steaming off the fields.

A filthy 70/68F right now.

Quite the thunderstorm early this morning. Woke up to brilliant flashes and cracking thunder. 0.3" of rain overnight. We are just so saturated that now the sun has come out, and in that first hour of sunshine our dewpoint went from 64F to 68F as the low level air is just saturated with moisture. Its steaming off the fields.

A filthy 70/68F right now.

Gross, just gross...

This is just freaking beautiful though... point and click for 1,400ft near the office. BTV is saying that 1,400ft does not get out of the 40s (!) tomorrow and follows it up with a low not far from freezing tomorrow night. 60s and 30s in the days following.

The high in the village tomorrow is 53F for 800ft... that's impressive for June 2nd and not due to easterly flow off the Atlantic.

Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 45. West wind between 9 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 41 mph.

Thursday: Scattered showers, mainly after 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 49. Breezy, with a northwest wind between 15 and 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Thursday Night: Isolated showers before 2am. Cloudy during the early evening, then gradual clearing, with a low around 34. North wind between 10 and 17 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Friday: Sunny, with a high near 61. North wind between 13 and 18 mph.

Friday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 38.

Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 68.

This is just freaking beautiful though... point and click for 1,400ft near the office. BTV is saying that 1,400ft does not get out of the 40s (!) tomorrow and follows it up with a low not far from freezing tomorrow night. 60s and 30s in the days following.

The high in the village tomorrow is 53F for 800ft... that's impressive for June 2nd and not due to easterly flow off the Atlantic.

Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 45. West wind between 9 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 41 mph.

Thursday: Scattered showers, mainly after 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 49. Breezy, with a northwest wind between 15 and 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Thursday Night: Isolated showers before 2am. Cloudy during the early evening, then gradual clearing, with a low around 34. North wind between 10 and 17 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Friday: Sunny, with a high near 61. North wind between 13 and 18 mph.

Friday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 38.

Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 68.

Maybe some flakes? :snowman: It snowed on Mount Washington last July 1

Archived