• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Spring Thread

Allenson

KSLK hit 32 last night. Which of course makes sense if you know KSLK. I've argued with people that it's one of the consistently coldest reporting stations in the US ...only the very high elevation stations in the central rockies (Montana/Idaho/Utah) beat it.

J. Spin what my relocation really means besides real-time obs is one more line snaking BC skier. Of course if you'll know it was be because there will be two sets on tracks. A friends tight line. Then mine filled with bomb holes where I ate ****.

But that's a long way away. Until then just happy to get beers and talk wx.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KSLK hit 32 last night. Which of course makes sense if you know KSLK. I've argued with people that it's one of the consistently coldest reporting stations in the US ...only the very high elevation stations in the central rockies (Montana/Idaho/Utah) beat it.

J. Spin what my relocation really means besides real-time obs is one more line snaking BC skier. Of course if you'll know it was be because there will be two sets on tracks. A friends tight line. Then mine filled with bomb holes where I ate ****.

37F for a low here last night... no sign of any frost though. BTV's climo page showing a low of 31F for SLK, and 32F at Sutton & Island Pond in VT. But the winner is Caanan, VT at 30F (way up there on the border of VT/NH and Canada. That's about as far away from civilization as you can get.

What's interesting is that in the Greens, it appears the colder locations were those with elevations in the 700-1,200ft elevation band... with those stations like Stowe Mesonet (1,550ft), Brookfield (1,600ft), Bolton Valley (2,100ft), Jay Peak (1,800ft) all staying up in the 39-45F range.

24 HOUR MINIMUM TEMPERATURE DATA IN DEGREES FAHRENHEIT,
FOR VERMONT AND NORTHERN NEW YORK, ENDING 
7 A.M. EST/EDT SATURDAY JUNE 4, 2011.

VERMONT 

CANAAN MESONET                 		30
   ISLAND POND AIRPORT                    32
   SUTTON 2NE COOP                        32
   GALLUP MILLS NERON             		33
   EAST CHARLESTON                        34
   ISLAND POND COOP               		34
   RANDOLPH MESONET               		34
   IRASBURG COOP                          35
   MT MANSFIELD (NEAR SUMMIT)     		35
   NULHEGAN RAWS                          35
   BURKE MOUNTAIN                 		36
   DANBY RAWS                     		36
   ENOSBURG FALLS COOP                    36
   HARTLAND FOUR CORNERS                  36
   MARSHFIELD MESONET             		36
   NASHVILLE 1 E                          36
   NEWBURY AOT                            36
   RIPTON MESONET                 		36
   SUNDERLAND                     		36
   BETHEL COOP                            37
   CAVENDISH COOP                 		37
   LYNDONVILLE AIRPORT ASOS       		37
   LYNDONVILLE MESONET                    37
   MORRISVILLE ASOS               		37
   NORTH TROY                     		37
   ROCHESTER COOP                 		37
   SHARON                         		37
   UNION VILLAGE DAM COOP         		37
   WALDEN 4N COOP                 		37
   EAST BERKSHIRE                 		38
   HANKSVILLE COOP                        38
   NORTHFIELD COOP                        38
   RUTLAND COOP                   		38
   SPRINGFIELD ASOS               		38
   WOODSTOCK COOP                 		38
   CORINTH COOP                   		39
   JAY PEAK COOP (1875FT)         		39
   MONTPELIER KNAPP AIRPORT ASOS          39
   MT HOLLY MESONET               		39
   NEWPORT COOP                   		39
   NORTH HARTLAND LAKE COOP       		39
   RUTLAND SOUTHERN VT REGIONAL AIRPORT   39
   SOUTH LINCOLN COOP             		39
   ST. JOHNSBURY ASOS             		39
   WILLISTON AOT                          39
   BRATTLEBORO                            40
   CHELSEA COOP                   		40
   NEW HAVEN RIVER USGS           		40
   PASSUMPSIC                     		40
   BOLTON VALLEY BASE (2100FT)            41
   BRISTOL 1NE MESONET                    41
   BROOKFIELD AOT (1597FT)                41
   HIGHGATE AIRPORT AWOS                  41
   NEWPORT AIRPORT ASOS           		41
   GRAFTON                                42
   WESTFORD                       		42
   EDEN COOP                              43
   ESSEX JUNCTION                 		43
   STOWE MESONET (1522FT)         		43
   WATERBURY CENTER               		43
   WFO BURLINGTON VT                      43
   EAST ADDISON SNAKE MOUNTAIN            45
   FAIRFAX MESONET                        45
   FERRISBURG                     		45
   HINESBURG 2W                   		45
   UNDERHILL                              45
   WALTHAM MESONET                        45
   CHESTER                                46
   NORTH UNDERHILL                        46
   BURLINGTON ECHO CENTER         		48
   LUDLOW MESONET                 		48
   COLCHESTER REEF                        52
   DIAMOND ISLAND                 		52

NORTHERN NEW YORK 

SARANAC LAKE / ADIRONDACK ARPT ASOS    31
   WHITEFACE MTN (4880FT)         		32
   MT VAN HOEVENBURG                      35
   INDIAN LAKE (1600FT)           		37
   PARADOX MESONET                        37
   LONG LAKE MESONET                      41
   NORTH CREEK (1030FT)           		41
   SCHROON LAKE                   		41
   WANAKENA RNGR SCHOOL COOP              41
   MALONE COOP                            42
   GLENS FALLS ASOS               		43
   MOIRA                                  43
   BRASHER FALLS RAWS             		44
   PLATTSBURGH INTL AIRPORT ASOS          44
   ELLENBURG DEPOT                        45
   MASSENA RICHARDS FIELD ASOS            45
   POTSDAM AIRPORT                        45
   WHITEHALL                              45
   OGDENSBERG AIRPORT ASOS                46
   FORT DRUM                              48
   KEENE                                  48
   NORTH HEBRON (1100 FT)         		48
   SCHUYLER FALLS RAWS                    48

END 

Wow, what a Saturday! Just spent 4 hours wandering around the mountain and it was just gorgeous. If it hadn't been so damp recently, these would be red-flag conditions... RH<30% with dews in the 30s and valley temperatures in the 65-70F range under full sun and nice breeze.

At 3pm BTV was 70/33 and in this neck of the woods MVL was 68/37. If we could keep the dews in the 30s all summer that would be fantastic, lol.

Currently 65F after a high of 68F, following an early morning 37F. I already can't wait for fall weather like this.

Wow, what a Saturday! Just spent 4 hours wandering around the mountain and it was just gorgeous. If it hadn't been so damp recently, these would be red-flag conditions... RH<30% with dews in the 30s and valley temperatures in the 65-70F range under full sun and nice breeze.

At 3pm BTV was 70/33 and in this neck of the woods MVL was 68/37. If we could keep the dews in the 30s all summer that would be fantastic, lol.

Currently 65F after a high of 68F, following an early morning 37F. I already can't wait for fall weather like this.

You should get another fall-like airmass in NNE when the next shortwave passes through Quebec Friday...a -NAO as we're seeing develop keeps the Northern Tier cold in summer.

What a Saturday indeed! We took advantage of the primo weather and did some skiing on the East Snowfield on Mt. Washington; it’s getting somewhat small now but it’s still fun. It’s not too often that one gets a calm, sunny, and relatively warm day at 6,000’ on ridge lines of the Rockpile, so we enjoyed that. The new white that was visible up there on the web cam was mostly rime, but it was a foot thick in places, so it really built up in those sub-freezing temperatures. I’ll put some snow pictures up when I get them together. We’ve stopped in for the evening at Israel River Campground in Jefferson, NH, and they’ve got some tremendous views of the Presidentials. It’s quite clear and dry like you said, and the temperature dropped like a rock as the sun went down. It certainly feels like sometime in late August, September or even early October, or in the case of NNE… June. It looks like the elevation is around 1,100’ here at the campground, and the point forecast says upper 30s F for the low, so it should be good sleeping weather.

37F for a low here last night... no sign of any frost though. BTV's climo page showing a low of 31F for SLK, and 32F at Sutton & Island Pond in VT. But the winner is Caanan, VT at 30F (way up there on the border of VT/NH and Canada. That's about as far away from civilization as you can get.

What's interesting is that in the Greens, it appears the colder locations were those with elevations in the 700-1,200ft elevation band... with those stations like Stowe Mesonet (1,550ft), Brookfield (1,600ft), Bolton Valley (2,100ft), Jay Peak (1,800ft) all staying up in the 39-45F range.

24 HOUR MINIMUM TEMPERATURE DATA IN DEGREES FAHRENHEIT,
FOR VERMONT AND NORTHERN NEW YORK, ENDING 
7 A.M. EST/EDT SATURDAY JUNE 4, 2011.

VERMONT 

CANAAN MESONET             			30
   ISLAND POND AIRPORT                    32
   SUTTON 2NE COOP                        32
   GALLUP MILLS NERON         			33
   EAST CHARLESTON                        34
   ISLAND POND COOP           			34
   RANDOLPH MESONET           			34
   IRASBURG COOP                          35
   MT MANSFIELD (NEAR SUMMIT) 			35
   NULHEGAN RAWS                          35
   BURKE MOUNTAIN             			36
   DANBY RAWS                 			36
   ENOSBURG FALLS COOP                    36
   HARTLAND FOUR CORNERS                  36
   MARSHFIELD MESONET         			36
   NASHVILLE 1 E                          36
   NEWBURY AOT                            36
   RIPTON MESONET             			36
   SUNDERLAND                 			36
   BETHEL COOP                            37
   CAVENDISH COOP             			37
   LYNDONVILLE AIRPORT ASOS   			37
   LYNDONVILLE MESONET                    37
   MORRISVILLE ASOS           			37
   NORTH TROY                 			37
   ROCHESTER COOP             			37
   SHARON                     			37
   UNION VILLAGE DAM COOP     			37
   WALDEN 4N COOP             			37
   EAST BERKSHIRE             			38
   HANKSVILLE COOP                        38
   NORTHFIELD COOP                        38
   RUTLAND COOP               			38
   SPRINGFIELD ASOS           			38
   WOODSTOCK COOP             			38
   CORINTH COOP               			39
   JAY PEAK COOP (1875FT)     			39
   MONTPELIER KNAPP AIRPORT ASOS          39
   MT HOLLY MESONET           			39
   NEWPORT COOP               			39
   NORTH HARTLAND LAKE COOP   			39
   RUTLAND SOUTHERN VT REGIONAL AIRPORT   39
   SOUTH LINCOLN COOP         			39
   ST. JOHNSBURY ASOS         			39
   WILLISTON AOT                          39
   BRATTLEBORO                            40
   CHELSEA COOP               			40
   NEW HAVEN RIVER USGS       			40
   PASSUMPSIC                 			40
   BOLTON VALLEY BASE (2100FT)            41
   BRISTOL 1NE MESONET                    41
   BROOKFIELD AOT (1597FT)                41
   HIGHGATE AIRPORT AWOS                  41
   NEWPORT AIRPORT ASOS       			41
   GRAFTON                                42
   WESTFORD                   			42
   EDEN COOP                              43
   ESSEX JUNCTION             			43
   STOWE MESONET (1522FT)     			43
   WATERBURY CENTER           			43
   WFO BURLINGTON VT                      43
   EAST ADDISON SNAKE MOUNTAIN            45
   FAIRFAX MESONET                        45
   FERRISBURG                 			45
   HINESBURG 2W               			45
   UNDERHILL                              45
   WALTHAM MESONET                        45
   CHESTER                                46
   NORTH UNDERHILL                        46
   BURLINGTON ECHO CENTER     			48
   LUDLOW MESONET             			48
   COLCHESTER REEF                        52
   DIAMOND ISLAND             			52

NORTHERN NEW YORK 

SARANAC LAKE / ADIRONDACK ARPT ASOS    31
   WHITEFACE MTN (4880FT)     			32
   MT VAN HOEVENBURG                      35
   INDIAN LAKE (1600FT)       			37
   PARADOX MESONET                        37
   LONG LAKE MESONET                      41
   NORTH CREEK (1030FT)       			41
   SCHROON LAKE               			41
   WANAKENA RNGR SCHOOL COOP              41
   MALONE COOP                            42
   GLENS FALLS ASOS           			43
   MOIRA                                  43
   BRASHER FALLS RAWS         			44
   PLATTSBURGH INTL AIRPORT ASOS          44
   ELLENBURG DEPOT                        45
   MASSENA RICHARDS FIELD ASOS            45
   POTSDAM AIRPORT                        45
   WHITEHALL                              45
   OGDENSBERG AIRPORT ASOS                46
   FORT DRUM                              48
   KEENE                                  48
   NORTH HEBRON (1100 FT)     			48
   SCHUYLER FALLS RAWS                    48

END 

That's consistent with my empirical experience....generally those mid level reporting stations on nights with radiational cooling and cold air sinking are the coolest. Lower down it starts off too warm, higher up the cold air sorta bleeds away and ens up pooling in those pockets around 1500 feet. For example- MVH in the high peaks is often colder than the summit or mid-station at whiteface.

Curious what this cold air is doing to our friends the mosquitos and black flies. With all the water this year I'm dreading the woods in july. Hopefully a few COLD nights could thin the heard and be a saving grace.

Otherwise....

Wow, what a Saturday!

Second that PF! tale of two directions on yesterday's ride, looking down toward your way, Mt Norris, Hadley, White Face, Belv. milky skies

IMG_2424.jpg

compared to the view nord (bear mt on the right). First cuts are done in our valley and the corn is in. we haven't seen the wet like those folks down by J Spin

IMG_2423.jpg

final plantings in yesterday, now its time to just whisper sweet nothings and see what grows

blueberry bushes are loaded - looks like a good year in that regards

Here are some pics from yesterday's hike around the mountain... couldn't ask for any better conditions up on the Mansfield ridgeline.

IMG_6074_edited-2.jpg

Here are some views... starting with south down the Green Mountain spine

IMG_6080_edited-2.jpg

Looking due west over the Champlain Valley. This picture was taken exactly 4,000ft above KBTV's 300ft elevation down there by the lakeshore. Whiteface Mountain in the Adirondacks on the other side of the lake stands tallest in this view at almost 5,000ft.

IMG_6064_edited-2.jpg

Looking north to northwest out over the flats towards Canada. Its easy to see how upslope precipitation works... moisture comes unabated out of the northern Champlain Valley and southern Canada and hits a 4,000 foot wall.

IMG_6071_edited-2.jpg

And lastly, looking east over Stowe village in the valley, with the 3,000ft Worcester Range ridgeline across town.

IMG_6078_edited-1.jpg

Beautiful shots fellas...

A few chilly mornings and otherwise, not much to report from over here other than we really could use a good shot of rain. We missed out on most of the action in May, only receiving 3.87" at this locale for the month. A solid inch would come in handy right now.

It's great that you will get to do more BC skiing in this area too (hopefully that will mean some BC weather and snowpack obs); I'd say it's better to see the 300+ inches of the Northern Greens enjoyed by more skiers, rather than wasted and washed back down into Lake Champlain, although not everyone has that same take on the matter. ;)

It's great that you will get to do more BC skiing in this area too (hopefully that will mean some BC weather and snowpack obs); I'd say it's better to see the 300+ inches of the Northern Greens enjoyed by more skiers, rather than wasted and washed back down into Lake Champlain, although not everyone has that same take on the matter. ;)

Those 300+ inches are still melting... becoming more wildly spaced and fewer, but the natural snowpack is still there. Particularly the Cliff Trail (hiking trail, not the Cliff Trail ski run) that goes up the 500 verts behind the Gondola terminal (3,600ft) to the ridgeline (4,100ft). Those Spruces are still harboring snow and while last week the hiking trail was impassable due to snow, this week it was fine but still with patchy snow.

Near the top of the Gondola, piles in the start zone of "Tomba's."

IMG_6036_edited-2.jpg

Drift on the Perry Merrill turn.... this was still huge a week ago. Heat and humidity did a number on it.

IMG_6019_edited-2.jpg

Cliff Trail which was fully covered and slippery a week ago, is now only patchy snow along the hiking path. I love how the buds are just starting to show up at this elevation. Green-up and the growing season has yet to begin up here on June 4th, lol. Short growing season.

IMG_6053_edited-2.jpg

And the obligatory June snowball... the parents hiking behind me definitely thanked me for reminding their kids what snowballs are. As I hiked up I could hear the constant squeal of kids enjoying throwing slush balls at each other.

IMG_6058_edited-1.jpg

Curious what this cold air is doing to our friends the mosquitos and black flies. With all the water this year I'm dreading the woods in july. Hopefully a few COLD nights could thin the herd and be a saving grace.

Otherwise....

Well, the 11 days of cool rain delayed AND shortened the blackfly reign IMBY. Now they're mostly gone, with deerflies (my UNfavorite insect) starting to show up. Mega mosquitos in the crepuscular hours, however.

Had 37 both Sat/Sun, though Sun was fractionally cooler, and low 40s this AM. Not much effect on the bugs, and I hope not much ill effect on tomato plants or cucurbit seeds, all of which went into the ground Sat. Assuming they survive, they'll get what they need temp-wise Wed/Thurs. Hard to believe that, after all the May rain/cloud, we could use some water here, as all of last week's sturm & drang missed or merely grazed my area.

14 days with no rain and I'm getting really tired of dragging hoses around and watering and having the lawn start to turn brown anyways. :(

I understand your frustration! Im watering like crazy to keep things lush. Missed every storm last week and never had one good thunderstorm last summer. I am in need of a nice storm with some 60mph gusts, some hail and a nice roll cloud preceding it. Things will stay green if we get at least one nice T storm sometime this week!

Jay and PF....how's the mud pits on the trails. Along the rocky tree-line it looks like it's starting to dry out.

I know some friends in the ADK have reported surprisingly less mud than would be expected.

Also- Jay - what are your atomics mounted with? I can't tell if they are Voile's or G3s.

Jay and PF....how's the mud pits on the trails. Along the rocky tree-line it looks like it's starting to dry out. I know some friends in the ADK have reported surprisingly less mud than would be expected.

Also- Jay - what are your atomics mounted with? I can't tell if they are Voile's or G3s.

Since we used the auto road for the main ascent we were only above tree line in terms of hiking, but things were nice and dry up there in general, even in the flatter alpine meadow areas that we encountered. The only areas that seemed to build up any moisture or exhibit ponding were where that rime was melting. Unfortunately we haven’t been out in the Greens for hiking yet, but with all his hikes, I’d say Powderfreak probably has a better handle on the Mansfield conditions than even the Long Trail/AMC folks!

I’ve got Voilé Switchbacks on the Atomics; I’ve found a couple of minor issues like one of the lower heel bars slipping a bit on really cold days (single digits etc.) and the switchback mechanism needing a bit of cleaning from ice-up on some deep days, but overall I’ve been very happy. With the switchback mechanism they are a load of fun for touring.

Unfortunately we haven’t been out in the Greens for hiking yet, but with all his hikes, I’d say Powderfreak probably has a better handle on the Mansfield conditions than even the Long Trail/AMC folks!

Haha, yeah I look at Mansfield as the local "town park" for when I want to take the dog for a walk or just get outside for an hour or two in the afternoon/evening. But speaking of trail conditions, there's still some mud but nothing like two weeks ago. It has really, really dried out since the vegetation has fully opened and greened up into the 3,000-3,500ft elevation. In the Spruce forests between 3,500-4,000ft its still quite damp with the snow just leaving and a lot of the foliage still in the budding stage. The ground is also a lot rockier up high there so there's not a lot of places for the moisture to go. Of course, up on the ridgeline its bone dry as the water tends to quickly drain off it or dry up in the sun/wind.

Overall though, the Greens are pretty much open for business as far as hiking goes without worrying about sinking to your knees in mud.

Another great evening walking the dog at the "Town Park" aka ski resort. Gotta love these sunny, warm June afternoons that quickly turn chilly as soon as the sun goes behind the Greens. We radiated from 80F yesterday afternoon down to 47F overnight, perfect for sleeping.

14 straight days of no measurable and counting. 84.3F for a max today, but already down to 69.3F.

Wow, its been that long since any measurable? We had a tenth on June 5th and 1/4" of upslope QPF on the 2nd, which isn't much but still up near 0.4" so far for June. Enough to keep the dirt roads from getting dusty and following April and May, this little dry spell seems appreciated by many up this way.

Speaking of temperatures, I really do not like that its only noon and its already 84/62F out. Our max yesterday was 84F just like dendrite, but today we've already hit that by noon. Last night only got down to 55F which is about 10F higher than the night before, giving us a launch pad for today's heat. Even at 2,100ft temperatures are already up near 80F. That's when you know its hot out.

Wow, its been that long since any measurable? We had a tenth on June 5th and 1/4" of upslope QPF on the 2nd, which isn't much but still up near 0.4" so far for June. Enough to keep the dirt roads from getting dusty and following April and May, this little dry spell seems appreciated by many up this way.

Speaking of temperatures, I really do not like that its only noon and its already 84/62F out. Our max yesterday was 84F just like dendrite, but today we've already hit that by noon. Last night only got down to 55F which is about 10F higher than the night before, giving us a launch pad for today's heat. Even at 2,100ft temperatures are already up near 80F. That's when you know its hot out.

You think that is a long time since rain?

Down here, we haven't had any since May 30th, and that was only .2"...it's amazing the gradient between NNE and the Mid-Atlantic. Many of us in this region are starting to worry about low soil moisture whereas NNE is still dealing with the flooding that occurred on Champlain etc. This may be a remnant of the La Nina pattern which reinforces high soil moisture in the Northern Tier while starving the South of precipitation, and it may also be some degree of luck with thunderstorms. We totally missed the severe weather/tornado outbreak, only had a dry frontal passage down here with strong NW winds that leached even more moisture from the soil.

You think that is a long time since rain?

Down here, we haven't had any since May 30th, and that was only .2"...it's amazing the gradient between NNE and the Mid-Atlantic. Many of us in this region are starting to worry about low soil moisture whereas NNE is still dealing with the flooding that occurred on Champlain etc. This may be a remnant of the La Nina pattern which reinforces high soil moisture in the Northern Tier while starving the South of precipitation, and it may also be some degree of luck with thunderstorms. We totally missed the severe weather/tornado outbreak, only had a dry frontal passage down here with strong NW winds that leached even more moisture from the soil.

Not all of NNE is wet. Portland's last measureable came on May 24.

Archived