Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Spring Thread

Allenson

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you want to know?

Just more about how the mountains affect the way some of these things show on radar. It is very obvious in the winter. These spring storms seem less affected by the terrain?

I also need to googlemap some of the places you folks live when I see what you post.

I'm pretty set on NH and southern Maine...

Just more about how the mountains affect the way some of these things show on radar. It is very obvious in the winter. These spring storms seem less affected by the terrain?

I also need to googlemap some of the places you folks live when I see what you post.

The area around Rt 100 between Stowe and Morrisville is some what blocked by Mt Mansfield on Burlington's radar.

Well some of the terrain actually acts as a trigger to produce spin ups and enhance storms... I've heard a couple people mentioning north south valleys as an enhancer..

But you seem to be comparing winter in vt versus summer convection in CT.. which I really don't fully understand what your asking

Meant vt in the second part of that lol

I was about to say :lol:

Well, watching loops showing upsloping in the winter you can really see enhancement (well, duh). The storms like tonights, granted, moving W/E and of a totally different nature, don't seem phased one bit. "Mountains? We don't give a crap about mountains" they seem to say.

I would like to overlay the radar onto a topo map sometimes... probably lots of ways to do it.

I was about to say :lol:

Well, watching loops showing upsloping in the winter you can really see enhancement (well, duh). The storms like tonights, granted, moving W/E and of a totally different nature, don't seem phased one bit. "Mountains? We don't give a crap about mountains" they seem to say.

I would like to overlay the radar onto a topo map sometimes... probably lots of ways to do it.

Well convection and upslope are just two totally different forces which probably explains alot of it..

I'm pretty sure mountains can also act to destroy updrafts because of their height and the way they can disrupt the convections natural flow.. I noticed almost all of our tornado warnings were featured in valleys which supports the thought..

Well convection and upslope are just two totally different forces which probably explains alot of it..

I'm pretty sure mountains can also act to destroy updrafts because of their height and the way they can disrupt the convections natural flow.. I noticed almost all of our tornado warnings were featured in valleys which supports the thought..

Thanks Jay, makes sense.

Any met courses in your fall schedule?

oh my god.

first you gloat about awesome lightning and make me jealous and then post pictures of snow.

you're becoming my nemesis. :lol:

(nice pics)

Haha... I gotta do it. I could have a tornado rip through town and I'd be more intrigued by how much snow is up there. :lol:

With that said, just got power back again after another 10 minute outage. In a year at this location I've never had the power go out, until tonight. 3 times now since the storms began. Still incredible lightning at times with fire trucks racing around on RT 108, first up towards the mountain, then back down. Something must be going on.

Pretty shocked to be under a rather large severe t-storm warning given the storms are still an hour away and the southern half of the line fell apart and doesn't really exist. I guess I'll wait up for it just in case.

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

SULLIVAN COUNTY IN CENTRAL NEW HAMPSHIRE...

WESTERN BELKNAP COUNTY IN CENTRAL NEW HAMPSHIRE...

MERRIMACK COUNTY IN CENTRAL NEW HAMPSHIRE...

SOUTHWESTERN GRAFTON COUNTY IN NORTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE...

* UNTIL 115 AM EDT

* AT 1216 AM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZE HAIL...AND DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THESE STORMS WERE LOCATED ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM 38 MILES WEST OF HANOVER TO 11

MILES WEST OF CHARLESTOWN TO 55 MILES SOUTH OF CHARLESTOWN...AND WERE MOVING NORTHEAST AT 55 MPH.

* SOME LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO CHARLESTOWN...CLAREMONT...NEWPORT...LEBANON...HANOVER...NEW LONDON...GRAFTON...CANAAN...DANBURY...WARNER...HENNIKER... PLYMOUTH...MEREDITH...LACONIA...HAVERHILL...AND CONCORD.

post-18-0-76771100-1306472105.png

couldn't begin to tell you what your lookin for Dave, but it was interesting yesterday, I live and work on opposite sides of Coburn Hill here in Newport Center, watched very confused clouds last night from the SE side of the hill , wouldn't say circulating but they were clearly shifting in opposite directions, minimal wind, rain, hail, 7 miles to the NW (the other side of the hill, home) heavy hail, wind, downpours, downed trees/limbs. certainly seemed the W facing slopes caught some enhanced energy, but the storms were ripe coming right up our valley (rt 100)

gonna be a pretty rough start to thru hiking season on the LT, any N to S bounders are in for some "unique" conditions. no problem finding water though

Not a drop of rain from the activity overnight. Plenty of mosquito activity, however - the instant I left the house this morning I was assaulted. Vile creatures.

GYX calling for localized heavy rain and hail. Could be an interesting afternoon ... kinda wish I'd closed the windows a bit back at the ranch.

Only .33" of rain, quite the contrast from the 4-6" rainfalls along the Rte 2 corridor, not that far away. We received all our rain in about 5-10 minutes with those cells that came up from Southern VT moving Northeast and went through around 0115.

It didn’t seem like it rained a lot last night, but I found 1.63” in the gauge this morning, so it obviously added up. We had some losses of power similar to what Powderfreak noted – a couple short ones in the evening, and then it went back out again around 8:00 P.M. and it was gone for the night. It came back on early this morning at some point. I didn’t stay awake for it, but apparently we had thunder and lightning pretty continuously through about 2:00 A.M. This morning I was surprised to see the Winooski way back up to a level even with our local V.A.S.T. bridge and hogging almost the entire valley in our area, just like back in mid April when the snowpack was starting to melt. I think it may have even been a bit higher this time, as the typically flooded residences and farmland west of the Cider House seemed quite inundated with water. The water was probably the closest I’ve seen it to washing over Route 2 in that area – I think another foot of depth and there would have been water on the road. I was surprised it got so high relative to the amount of water I recorded in the gauge, but then I checked the CoCoRaHS maps and saw that one observer over in Caledonia County reported 3.66” of water with this event. I don’t think they are actually in our drainage, but clearly someone out to our east got a load of water from these storms overnight. Our bus was late this morning due to road closures in the Montpelier area, so things have certainly been disrupted by the water. I added an image of the VT CoCoRaHS table of Daily Precipitations Reports as of ~7:30 A.M. this morning, and it indicates that someone over in Danville got over 4 inches of liquid from these storms, so there are reports of some large amounts of liquid coming in from Caledonia County.

27MAY11A.jpg

Only .33" of rain, quite the contrast from the 4-6" rainfalls along the Rte 2 corridor, not that far away. We received all our rain in about 5-10 minutes with those cells that came up from Southern VT moving Northeast and went through around 0115.

Yep, pretty much the same here--had 0.30" last night with some windless storms between 1:00--1:30am this morning.

Incredible lightning show last night. Alas, we have a high ridge just to our NW so my view in that direction is limited but the sky was almost constantly lit up from that training line from roughly Barre--St. J.

Wow wow wow. What a night of storms! We had the first hit a few minutes after I posted about having the tornado warning. Both of the first two storms came with tornado warnings. We didn't get much wind but we had a ton of rain and some quality hail. The Biggest hail was large marble/small golf ball size hail and came with the start of the first storm. At this point with the hail and the tornado warning I figured we better play it safe and got the family in the basement for about 10 minutes. The storms were nearly continuous until late in the night. We lost power 3 times. There was quite a bit of water in the basement this morning. The heavy rain was impressive but the lightning is what was truly the most compelling part of this event. It was so constant, continuous. In cloud and cloud to ground. A fantastic display with some very close by hits.

The drive to St. J this morning was also very impressive. There were a number of washouts and the rivers/streams were raging though down from last night. It was very easy to tell just how high they had gotten from the debris everywhere. Route 2 in Danville was washed out on both side so there was only space for one lane of traffic down the middle of the road. Fortunately this is right next to where they are starting a major road project so it looked like they had all the equipment and personnel already there to do a fix. There are a number of road projects going on right now so it looked like the equipment was already being used for cleanup.

It sound like Barre/ Montpelier got it even worse.

Very impressive storms.

Not a drop of rain from the activity overnight. Plenty of mosquito activity, however - the instant I left the house this morning I was assaulted. Vile creatures.

GYX calling for localized heavy rain and hail. Could be an interesting afternoon ... kinda wish I'd closed the windows a bit back at the ranch.

The mosquitos the last couple of days have been driving me crazy in the morning when I take out the dog around 6AM or so. Same thing around 7-8PM. Swarming...

Last spring they were def. not as bad (drier after April flooding?)

Archived