Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Tulip Trouncer Threat III - April Fool's Joke

Baroclinic Zone

The precip shield is really compact. Reminds me a bit of 1/12

Yeah... I think Anyone North of the pike should feel really good that they will get a 6"+ snowstorm out of this one. GFS is now the western outlier with the Euro sitting perfect and the NAM out well east. GFS and NAM negotiation calls for a euro track which is good.

Also, GFS sucks with dynamics (bombing lows) so its thermal profile is going to be terrible with this one. We'll have to rely on the NAM for a good thermal output. I know its not 1/12 or boxing day, but remember how that trended colder and colder every run in because of the dynamics. The low crossed the cape and plymouth/bos was snowing. We could see a similar situation here.

Whats good is that GFS is hammering us with wrap around snows. At that track the dry slot would probably be from ORH to MHT points east, but wrap around could save us. Lets hope the trend west stops here

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully we can get some good qpf out here. Snow disappearing quickly now. :(

36.8/17

Looks like you've got a little more than I do here, probably owing to your slightly higher latitude. My lawn is totally bare here at 1150' in Lenox save for some piles in the shady areas, but there are some scattered patches in the woods where it is several inches deep and the ponds are still ice covered (not safely so).

I was on MA-116 in Savoy at 2K earlier today and there's still a solid 8-12" snowpack up there that is shiny and frozen solid. It may be even deeper in the woods away from the road. Heck, they're still ice fishing there as I was driving by a pond near the Savoy/Plainfield line. Great area for snow and cold. By the time I was in Northampton, not a drop of snow with buds on the trees and temps in the mid-40s (no ice on the ponds either). It was 28 at 2K.

High was about 37 with off and on upslope flurries here all afternoon. 12Z Euro slams this areas with major deformation, comma head snows. Verbatim we should do very well.

Thanks!

I can only access the abstract, but here's a relevant excerpt:

Radiosonde and aircraft data combined are the main contributors to the skill of short-range forecasts over North America. However, as the effect of satellite observations over the North Pacific Ocean moves downstream over the continent, their impact on forecasts becomes dominant for forecast lengths longer than 36 h over western North America, and longer than 72 h over the eastern part of the continent.

And interestingly, data was collected January-February 2007...

To keep everyone on their toes. We aren't a lock yet to get hammered. I think we're looking pretty good, but there's still time left for bad things to happen.

With the kicker upstream I just don't see how this thing can come much farther west than the BM... That argues for this to remain an offshore track..I still think a whiff is more likely than a rainer

With the kicker upstream I just don't see how this thing can come much farther west than the BM... That argues for this to remain an offshore track..I still think a whiff is more likely than a rainer

Agree 100%, plus we still have some confluence maintained to our north. I think a whiff and a rainer are equally UNlikely. Completely serious

To keep everyone on their toes. We aren't a lock yet to get hammered. I think we're looking pretty good, but there's still time left for bad things to happen.

Yeah... they're the 18z runs, so take them with a huge grain of salt.

Archived