• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 30 and April Fools Day Potential

stormtracker

True, true, and true. What's your gut telling you about this week, hoff?

MDstorm

This first system is going to be washing out not amplifying and those have not been big producers lately but it will have more support then the last system. Probably not going to be a major storm but it could give some accumulating snow west of the cities and this late in the season that is significant I guess. The system for Friday I think is going to be a major amplification event. I am not sure if the amplification will focus on the second system like the GFS/GGEM or on the 3rd wave like the NAM but the end result will likely be a major phased event on the east coast. As for precip type, its gonna be hard to get snow this late in the season. NOt impossible but very difficult so of course I would lean wet versus white but its fun to be tracking something this late. I think my elevation might make things more interesting up here this weekend.

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This first system is going to be washing out not amplifying and those have not been big producers lately but it will have more support then the last system. Probably not going to be a major storm but it could give some accumulating snow west of the cities and this late in the season that is significant I guess. The system for Friday I think is going to be a major amplification event. I am not sure if the amplification will focus on the second system like the GFS/GGEM or on the 3rd wave like the NAM but the end result will likely be a major phased event on the east coast. As for precip type, its gonna be hard to get snow this late in the season. NOt impossible but very difficult so of course I would lean wet versus white but its fun to be tracking something this late. I think my elevation might make things more interesting up here this weekend.

Thanks for your input. Make it snow and this could be psuhoffman storm #2.

MDstorm

Anyone who posts the DGEX should be immediately five-posted.

For shame people, posting about a model on the weather forums. :lol:

PhineasC, thought you would be interested in what the 06Z DGEX was showing. :devilsmiley:

The 3rd wave shown on the NAM is suppressed when it gets extended to the DGEX. Looks like surface temps would be an issue except for maybe the higher elevations.

Did you see the clown map of total snow fall? Looked nice but I think I would argue to cut the totals by a 1/3 to a half with the extent of the snow being to far east on it.

I don't ever look at the clown maps unless someone posts one on here.

The GFS snowfall map the my company produces has DC and BWI getting fringed on the 2-4" as 4-8" falls over MoCo and a small area of 8-12" tries to work into NoMD/SoPA. WV panhandle with 8-12"+ as well.

NYC 8-12", SNE 12"+

I lol'd, but I'm still watching it.

Yup just remember guys what the snow maps where showing ric with this past weekends storm. Well guess what we got a dusting at best... Remember its going to be april i see nobody getting any snow south of bwi

Only this is a completely different system so you can't really compare the two snowfall forecasts.

I've seen plenty of wet snow storm with temps of 35

Not saying that it can't, but it would make it rather difficult to squeeze out 6"+ especially when the mid 30s would only be the low for the day (with highs in the 50s?).

Even with the timing off by about 6 hours, and the precip amounts not quite as great, it's interesting to see the NAM returning to its solution of Sunday morning wrt tomorrow morning.

Also, with the huge differences between the NAM and the GFS for the 72 hour or so time frame, any thoughts on which is more likely correct?

JB says heaviest snow could be close to DC

Wed-Sat period will see snow into the big cities with the threat of heaviest amounts very close by from DC to Boston ( though I think northwest) And like some of the other storms this winter… its a 2 system event!

I guess its a fitting way to end the coldest last week of March since at least 2001 ( I will look to see when all the stats are in if its even further back)

http://www.weatherbell.com/jb/?category_name=blog_home_page

Only this is a completely different system so you can't really compare the two snowfall forecasts.

Not saying that it can't, but it would make it rather difficult to squeeze out 6"+ especially when the mid 30s would only be the low for the day (with highs in the 50s?).

will see who is right

JB says heaviest snow could be close to DC

Wed-Sat period will see snow into the big cities with the threat of heaviest amounts very close by from DC to Boston ( though I think northwest) And like some of the other storms this winter… its a 2 system event!

I guess its a fitting way to end the coldest last week of March since at least 2001 ( I will look to see when all the stats are in if its even further back)

http://www.weatherbe...=blog_home_page

hype

Even with the timing off by about 6 hours, and the precip amounts not quite as great, it's interesting to see the NAM returning to its solution of Sunday morning wrt tomorrow morning.

Also, with the huge differences between the NAM and the GFS for the 72 hour or so time frame, any thoughts on which is more likely correct?

I am going with the NAM... it has been pretty much right all year.

Archived