• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
3.5-6 obs and discussion - rain! (and some snow!)

Ian

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

part of the reason you get flash flooding in deserts -- well and the hard rocky ground in many. ;) im not sure i'd characterize the ground as "dry" of recent.. we have had some rain lately. it might be totally normal given how much we've seen in a short period today. i would think that once you have green up moisture starts to almost instantly go into the greenery as well as running off which we dont quite have yet. a rare time where that river guy might come in handy.

Another reason MBY receives that kind of "standing runoff" depicted in my earlier pix is because most of my subdivision is built on a sizeable deposit of marine clay, which is prevalent along and east of I-95. Marine clay has high potential to "swell upon wetting, and shrink upon drying," as FfxCo innocuously phrases it on the FAQ web page they publish on that very subject, a fact of which I'm painfully aware -- during the particularly arid summer of 2005 (or was it 2006?), the shrinking marine clay underlying the addition on the rear of my home began literally tearing it AWAY from the main structure. After some re-grading (to channel the water around the addition, as you saw earlier), 14 pile-driven foundation screws and $60K later, our addition is restored and level again. Nonetheless, marine clay constantly throws doorways out of plumb and causes hairline wall cracks ALL year long throughout our house -- it is VILE stuff... :thumbsdown:

There's a fair amount of signals pointing towards a decent pattern around the 16th-20th. If we pull off a 5+" event in mid March then this winter is a solid B+ in my book.

If we get a 5+" event in mid-march, this winter will go from a C- to A+ for me. When was the last time we got a 5+" event after march 15?

If we get a 5+" event in mid-march, this winter will go from a C- to A+ for me. When was the last time we got a 5+" event after march 15?

d10+ on the gfs is pretty reliable

<1" rain w/o convectivity?

those were scenarios.. yes, i was leaning lighter dc-->east than it ended up being it would seem. the nam was drier for a few runs y-day... it's hard to say it's wrong in a situation like this but it moistened back up into the end.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/watch/ww0041.html

ww0041_radar_big.gif

DISCUSSION...LOW-TOPPED CONVECTIVE BAND HAS FORMED ALONG A LOW-LVL

CONFLUENCE ZONE OVER ERN NC/SE VA THIS EVE...ON LEADING EDGE OF

MID-LVL HEIGHT FALLS/COLD ADVECTION ASSOCIATED WITH EJECTING UPR

VORT. STRENGTH OF LOW-LVL WIND FIELD AND WEAK LINEAR FORCING IN SRN

PART OF CONVECTIVE BAND SUGGEST POTENTIAL FOR LOW-LVL MESOS/ISOLD

TORNADOES IN E CNTRL/NE NC. FARTHER N...LOW-LVL LINEAR FORCING WILL

INCREASE THIS EVE AS SFC COLD FRONT OVERTAKES CONVECTIVE BAND. THIS

SUGGESTS A GREATER POTENTIAL FOR LEWPS WITH LOCALLY DMGG WIND IN NRN

PART OF WW.

Disclaimer: I realize I will get plain rain tonight - NO mix - But it has fallen to 38 degrees, dewpoint 34. I realize stormpc has a reading of 40 degrees but I stand by my WeatherBug no matter what - I don't use thermometers anymore

Dryslot with strong midlevel drying will end the rain before it can mix, even if it cools to 29 degrees, which it won't

NWS needs to get a clue and quit claiming our overnight low is gonna be 35 degrees. It's almost that cool now lol

I'm enjoying my rain

I do not have a rain gauge to measure but have had quite a stream just out back for most of the day. We are in new construction and the streets were a muddy stream most of the day. Currently 41 but earlier we were pushing 60. Seems to be picking up here again.

We went out to run some errands today and quickly decided that we should have just stayed in. Water was standing all over, and on I- 70 it felt like the car was pushing through the water.

Couple of decent stronger lines have been running NNE with this rainband, one right now working its way up towards the NE states which looks pretty solid.

Any thunder reports with these bands?

Archived