• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3.5-6 obs and discussion - rain! (and some snow!)

Ian

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just noticed winds are north. peak gust is north 20 mph. temp is 47 degrees. hmmmmmmm....................

It was my understanding that this was not supposed to happen here til about 11pm.

why is the cold front already this far east?

Thought this was a s-l-o-w mover - guess not - well if the front is moving faster - so will the precip

I categorically refuse to get excited about a mix - I know where I live - and it is not at 3700 feet on a mountaintop in west virginia

I live in northeastern VA at 70 feet above sea level.

There is NO -NAO, there is NO high to supply cold air

Therefore I will get 2 inches of RAIN - then the rain will shut off, probably around 6pm with rapid clearing intrusion of a STRONG dry slot with NW winds off the mountains and strong mid and low level drying. End of storm. Non rain precip will be confined strictly to the mountains.

I live in tropical northern VA - Bring on SPRING - I am ready for EF 6 tornadoes in Dale City

Temp at 40.2. Rain still falling

NAM 18z continues to model a good bit of snow in NW Va and eastern WV. Hope it verifies.

I looked at Snownut's station graph. Trend lines look the same as here in the valley. He's been running about 2 hours ahead and also consistently 5-6 degrees colder by benefit of his elevation. But his changeover happening at 37 is a good benchmark for us to watch for this evening..

19Z RUC puts me in the 'commahead.' :weight_lift:

Has snow here from 9 p.m. until 2 a.m.

Lock it up bro, LOL.

down to 44 here now with rain. Quite a bit of small stream and poor drainage flooding when I was out the last few hours. I just got back and havent looked at my station yet, but I would imagine between 1.5 and 1.75 inches of rain since midnight so far

Indeed it is snowing. You are at over or near 1000 ft here on US 48

I was thinking that location might be closer to 2000 feet. I'm not sure though. I am at 900 here in the northern part of the county, so I feel confident that's a good bit higher. If you've ever been over there, that's a pretty good incline up there.

I looked at Snownut's station graph. Trend lines look the same as here in the valley. He's been running about 2 hours ahead and also consistently 5-6 degrees colder by benefit of his elevation. But his changeover happening at 37 is a good benchmark for us to watch for this evening..

Still above freezing here at 32.2 but snow has covered everything and pines are bending over.

Getting ready for a surprise walk in the snow and a measurment.

Over and 1" for sure.

Looking for a nice freeze tonight and a beautiful snow covered morning.

Will certainly be interested in how the 1000 ish' of elevation from the valley below has effected the snow covering???

I was thinking that location might be closer to 2000 feet. I'm not sure though. I am at 900 here in the northern part of the county, so I feel confident that's a good bit higher. If you've ever been over there, that's a pretty good incline up there.

Yeah it may be a bit higher there, Star Tannery, VA is only at 1110 FT asl. That cam isnt far from there. Yeah been on that stretch many many times, the elevation does play a huge role in these set ups

Meanwhile further west at 2880 FT in Keysers Ridge, I 68 is snow covered

This is 219 at 68, they have been plowing up there already

Yeah it may be a bit higher there, Star Tannery, VA is only at 1110 FT asl. That cam isnt far from there. Yeah been on that stretch many many times, the elevation does play a huge role in these set ups

Meanwhile further west at 2880 FT in Keysers Ridge, I 68 is snow covered

This is 219 at 68, they have been plowing up there already

Getting the occasional "survivor" snowflake here now. You can see the come screaming down to their ultimate demise. The temp is still awfully warm though, 37.9 currently.

Archived