• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3.5-6 obs and discussion - rain! (and some snow!)

Ian

Just in from snow walk.

2-1/2" on elevated surface and 2" on the car... maybe a few pictures if i can find the cable for my old camera.

Still snowing at a good clip and small flakes now.

just hit freezing for the first time now 32.0

So you picked up a couple of inches of snow with temps above freezing, during the day, in March, after an extended warm spell and temps near 50 this morning ? Guess this should lay to rest several myths that get thrown around this board occasionally.

:snowman:

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you picked up a couple of inches of snow with temps above freezing, during the day, in March, after an extended warm spell and temps near 50 this morning ? Guess this should lay to rest several myths that get thrown around this board occasionally.

:snowman:

im sure both sides will continue to misunderstand the myth forever and ever

rates always win

Yes I was very surprise to see the complete covering and accumulation. I honestly believe the one hour of sleet which never really covered the ground did laydown a cool surface?

sleet is a good start too if it's been warm. nice shots.

As a counterpoint to snownut's pix of fresh, gorgeous snowcover out in WV, MBY is asea and washing quickly away. Currently 50 w/ light winds, temp dropped about 3-4 degrees in last hour. Have received about 1.1" so far today...

there is quite a lot of standing water for the amount of rain we've seen today and lately.. i guess the ground is still frozen at some level??

there is one down off 77 in Bluefield, WV and then another one at the state line on I 64 with Va/WV, but those are the only two I seen. I wish they put one at least near Hazleton, WV off i 68 and one near Ghent and Beckley area

I saw an article in the paper a while ago that they were installing them along the interstates, but apprently haven't made them public yet.

I saw an article in the paper a while ago that they were installing them along the interstates, but apprently haven't made them public yet.

Sweet, thats good news to hear. WV really needs them with the varying wx conditions. I emailed the one site about expanding their cams and they told me they are working with various DOT in the states in the mid altantic

there is quite a lot of standing water for the amount of rain we've seen today and lately.. i guess the ground is still frozen at some level??

Ground might still be frozen down below, Ian -- but that's pretty much SOP for MBY if we get more than 1"-2" within a 12-hour period, no matter what time of year it is...

Ground might still be frozen down below, Ian -- but that's pretty much SOP for MBY if we get more than 1"-2" within a 12-hour period, no matter what time of year it is...

yeah it's a fair amount of rain but it looks like it's rained more here than it has.. was sorta surprised to see small stream flood warnings here given the dry of recent. i do think the ground is probably slower to suck this up right now compared to growing season for whatever reason.

looks like on the whole the system overperformed everywhere.. the model idea of heaviest northwest of the cities up into the apps worked but just about everyone ended up getting more than shown.

yeah it's a fair amount of rain but it looks like it's rained more here than it has.. was sorta surprised to see small stream flood warnings here given the dry of recent. i do think the ground is probably slower to suck this up right now compared to growing season for whatever reason.

looks like on the whole the system overperformed everywhere.. the model idea of heaviest northwest of the cities up into the apps worked but just about everyone ended up getting more than shown.

the 12z euro at the last second today really increased the qpf for the area for this storm

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but going back to my Hydro. class I remember that dry ground often allows for runoff to start more quickly than an area that has seen regular rains about every 3-4 days.

the 12z euro at the last second today really increased the qpf for the area for this storm

sref was pretty continually bullish for the 1"+ zone where the others tried to put us right on the edge of the heaviest.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but going back to my Hydro. class I remember that dry ground often allows for runoff to start more quickly than an area that has seen regular rains about every 3-4 days.

part of the reason you get flash flooding in deserts -- well and the hard rocky ground in many. ;) im not sure i'd characterize the ground as "dry" of recent.. we have had some rain lately. it might be totally normal given how much we've seen in a short period today. i would think that once you have green up moisture starts to almost instantly go into the greenery as well as running off which we dont quite have yet. a rare time where that river guy might come in handy.

SPECI KBWI 062227Z 00000KT 3SM -RA BR FEW007 OVC015 13/12 A2960 RMK AO2 P0008

29.60 inches of mercury = 1 002.256 millibars

I'm 9 miles SE of BWI and I'm getting winds gusting to 25 out of the SE.

There is most definitely some smoothing that occurs.

EDIT: Fixed cuz my cache hates me.

Archived