amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 5-8 storm discussion

OKpowdah

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once the snow totally melts in April we'll go straight to mowing. It's probably 7-10 inches high and fully green under the snowpack. In fact i bet there's dandilions in some lawns already growing and yellow.

If you use synthetic, you bet your chemical weenie

No it isn't.

I'll do a time lapse...by the time the lawn temp hits 60 it's normally about 50% green. Some types like fescues will begin to green up long before that. Doesn't mean they're growing, just means they're green.

Phil said his grass and all over the Cape is as brown as a brown eye..and Phil used Lesco in the fall for early spring green up..so unless I see pics of a dark green lawn dated today I simply won't believe it.

I'm happy for him. I think he and I should go toe to toe on who has the better lawn come June. I'm pretty confident I'll win. :)

It's not even greening up in DC.

Of course it is in spots depending on the lawn type but it'll be weeks before it really starts to darken. If we start to torch more earlier in the month great, if not...

I'll do a time lapse...by the time the lawn temp hits 60 it's normally about 50% green. Some types like fescues will begin to green up long before that. Doesn't mean they're growing, just means they're green.

I'm happy for him. I think he and I should go toe to toe on who has the better lawn come June. I'm pretty confident I'll win. :)

Of course it is in spots depending on the lawn type but it'll be weeks before it really starts to darken. If we start to torch more earlier in the month great, if not...

You're not going to disappear like last spring, are you?

You're not going to disappear like last spring, are you?

My duties as Heat Miser require that I travel a lot during the summer months. :)

That and all the kids sports, i donate tons of time to charity to help the less fortunate in the summer and I just have no interest in summer weather. I enjoy it. I think tracking storms helps the cold winter pass..in the summer I'd rather be outside, at the beach, running, biking, paddling down a river etc.

My duties as Heat Miser require that I travel a lot during the summer months. :)

That and all the kids sports, i donate tons of time to charity to help the less fortunate in the summer and I just have no interest in summer weather. I enjoy it. I think tracking storms helps the cold winter pass..in the summer I'd rather be outside, at the beach, running, biking, paddling down a river etc.

Good for you! :thumbsup: Enjoy

I'll look more closely tomorrow but here the grass isn't entirely brown. But I never cut the grass before April 10th.

It'll be a few weeks before we see much in that area unless it gets a lot warmer.

Good for you! :thumbsup: Enjoy

It's pretty rewarding. Not enough people donate time to others. There's a ton of people out there right now that need help from Vets to seniors....

Man the euro looks like a disaster for ctrl and ern areas of sne wrt flooding.

It starts getting interesting here Mon morning. I'm not sure what temps are above H85, but it's below 0C under that level beginning 12z. Then we get 1" QPF beyond that point. All of that after 2" of rain. :arrowhead:

Well..our only hope is that last wave on Monday is far enough south to draw down some marginal air and flip over the snow. Euro isn' far from doing that..and I'm sure the ensembles probably succeed in doing it

Both are similar. You'll need it after the 2-3 day decimation.

Oh yeah it's over..This time I'm serious...If this 3 day rain high dew surge plays out there will be bare ground to the NH border ..I don't think anyone would disagree with that

I don't think that much will melt. GC might be the ones with almost continuous light rain and warm temps for a while before they potentially go back to snow. We'll have to deal 1-2 days of milder temps before any rain, but when it comes..it could be heavy. NNE may have problems because they will also get some rains in the warm sector.

I don't think that much will melt. GC might be the ones with almost continuous light rain and warm temps for a while before they potentially go back to snow. We'll have to deal 1-2 days of milder temps before any rain, but when it comes..it could be heavy. NNE may have problems because they will also get some rains in the warm sector.

I think that mucn will melt. It's March now with a 3 day torch rainstorm

It will be a nice rain event but nothing earth-shattering. Maybe 12-24 hours. The next cutter will hopefully drive in cold air to lock up whatever snow is left in the interior.

CNE/NNE returns to a snowy early-Spring pattern on the 06z gfs.

and their maps again show a coastal taking shape with a sig. hi to the nw...3rd day in a row i think.cant see temp profile but seems it would trend to the colder solution?reading our board i'd be leaning mostly rain and warm reading hpc i'd be thinking more frozen.PRELIMINARY EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSIONNWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD359 AM EST WED MAR 02 2011 VALID 12Z SUN MAR 06 2011 - 12Z WED MAR 09 2011 EXPECT A MODERATELY PROGRESSIVE PATTERN TO PREVAIL OVER THE CONUSDURING THE MEDIUM RANGE PERIOD WITH A COUPLE OF EMBEDDED AMPLIFIEDSYSTEMS AND ONE WEAKER FEATURE. GUIDANCE CONTINUES TO SHOW ENERGYCONTAINED WITHIN AND AROUND A PERSISTENT NERN PACIFIC MEANTROF/CLOSED LOW FINALLY SLIDING SEWD INTO THE WRN STATES EARLYNEXT WEEK. CONTINUED MOVEMENT OF THIS TROF INTO THE PLAINS BYMIDWEEK WILL LIKELY SUPPORT A SIGNIFICANT STORM SYSTEM OVER THEPLAINS/MS VALLEY/GRTLKS. AHEAD OF THIS MAJOR SYSTEM A NUMBER OFSOLNS BRING A WAVE TO NEAR NRN CA AS OF EARLY DAY 4 SUN. MEANWHILE A WAVY FRONTAL BOUNDARY SHOULD MAKE GRADUAL BUT STEADYPROGRESS FROM THE MS VALLEY EWD/NEWD.FROM THE WEST COAST INTO THE PLAINS... THE GFS/ECMWF/GEFS MEAN ANDFASTER UKMET FORM A LOOSE CLUSTERING OF SOLNS WITH A SRN STREAMWAVE THAT MAY REACH NRN CA BY SUN. THE 12Z ECMWF WAS EVEN FASTERTHAN THE 00Z UKMET WHILE THE CANADIAN HAS A MERE FRONT. LOWERTHAN DESIRED CONTINUITY/SOLN AGREEMENT KEEP CONFIDENCE FAIRLY LOWAND RECOMMEND AN AVERAGE OF LATEST GUIDANCE THAT IS CLOSEST TO THEGFS/ECMWF. WITH THE TROF MOVING INTO AND ACROSS THE WEST TOWARDTHE PLAINS... EACH MODEL OFFERS SOME DETAIL DIFFS WITH ENSEMBLEMEANS IN REASONABLE AGREEMENT. AS MIGHT BE EXPECTED THEOPERATIONAL MODELS SHOW STRONGER SFC DEVELOPMENT OVER THE PLAINSTHAN THE ENSEMBLE MEANS. A BLEND OF THE MODEL/ENSEMBLE SOLNSSEEMS REASONABLE TO ACCOUNT FOR GOOD LARGE SCALE AGREEMENT VERSUSTYPICAL DETAIL UNCERTAINTY IN THE DAYS 6-7 TIME FRAME.WITH THE WAVY SYSTEM OVER THE EAST THE AVERAGE OF ALL GUIDANCE HASADJUSTED SLIGHTLY FASTER COMPARED TO YDAY. THIS MAINLY REFLECTS ATENDENCY AWAY FROM A STRONG/WWD LEADING WAVE THRU THE ERNGRTLKS/ST LAWRENCE VLY AS FCST BY MULTIPLE ECMWF RUNS AND STILLSHOWN TO SOME DEGREE BY THE UKMET/CANADIAN. FARTHER SWD THERE ISGENERAL AGREEMENT AMONG NON-CANADIAN SOLNS THAT ANOTHER WAVESHOULD FORM AND TRACK NEAR THE EAST COAST EARLY NEXT WEEK. BYLATE MON-TUE AN AVERAGE AMONG THE WRN GFS/ERN ECMWF ALONG WITH THEBROADER ENSEMBLE MEANS HELPS TO KEEP CONTINUITY CHANGES MODESTGIVEN CONTINUED UNCERTAINTY OVER IMPORTANT BUT DIFFICULT TORESOLVE SHRTWV DETAILS ALOFT.AS A REFLECTION OF THE BETTER THAN AVERAGE LARGE SCALEAGREEMENT... THE DAYS 3-7 SAT-WED FCST IS BASED ON A SLIGHTMAJORITY OF 00Z GEFS/12Z ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN SOLNS... WITH THEREMAINDER COMPOSED OF THE OPERATIONAL GFS/ECMWF TO ADD SOME DETAILWHILE NOT SKEWING THE FCST TOWARD EITHER INDIVIDUAL MODEL.RAUSCH

and their maps again show a coastal taking shape with a sig. hi to the nw...3rd day in a row i think.cant see temp profile but seems it would trend to the colder solution?reading our board i'd be leaning mostly rain and warm reading hpc i'd be thinking more frozen.PRELIMINARY EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSIONNWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD359 AM EST WED MAR 02 2011 VALID 12Z SUN MAR 06 2011 - 12Z WED MAR 09 2011 EXPECT A MODERATELY PROGRESSIVE PATTERN TO PREVAIL OVER THE CONUSDURING THE MEDIUM RANGE PERIOD WITH A COUPLE OF EMBEDDED AMPLIFIEDSYSTEMS AND ONE WEAKER FEATURE. GUIDANCE CONTINUES TO SHOW ENERGYCONTAINED WITHIN AND AROUND A PERSISTENT NERN PACIFIC MEANTROF/CLOSED LOW FINALLY SLIDING SEWD INTO THE WRN STATES EARLYNEXT WEEK. CONTINUED MOVEMENT OF THIS TROF INTO THE PLAINS BYMIDWEEK WILL LIKELY SUPPORT A SIGNIFICANT STORM SYSTEM OVER THEPLAINS/MS VALLEY/GRTLKS. AHEAD OF THIS MAJOR SYSTEM A NUMBER OFSOLNS BRING A WAVE TO NEAR NRN CA AS OF EARLY DAY 4 SUN. MEANWHILE A WAVY FRONTAL BOUNDARY SHOULD MAKE GRADUAL BUT STEADYPROGRESS FROM THE MS VALLEY EWD/NEWD.FROM THE WEST COAST INTO THE PLAINS... THE GFS/ECMWF/GEFS MEAN ANDFASTER UKMET FORM A LOOSE CLUSTERING OF SOLNS WITH A SRN STREAMWAVE THAT MAY REACH NRN CA BY SUN. THE 12Z ECMWF WAS EVEN FASTERTHAN THE 00Z UKMET WHILE THE CANADIAN HAS A MERE FRONT. LOWERTHAN DESIRED CONTINUITY/SOLN AGREEMENT KEEP CONFIDENCE FAIRLY LOWAND RECOMMEND AN AVERAGE OF LATEST GUIDANCE THAT IS CLOSEST TO THEGFS/ECMWF. WITH THE TROF MOVING INTO AND ACROSS THE WEST TOWARDTHE PLAINS... EACH MODEL OFFERS SOME DETAIL DIFFS WITH ENSEMBLEMEANS IN REASONABLE AGREEMENT. AS MIGHT BE EXPECTED THEOPERATIONAL MODELS SHOW STRONGER SFC DEVELOPMENT OVER THE PLAINSTHAN THE ENSEMBLE MEANS. A BLEND OF THE MODEL/ENSEMBLE SOLNSSEEMS REASONABLE TO ACCOUNT FOR GOOD LARGE SCALE AGREEMENT VERSUSTYPICAL DETAIL UNCERTAINTY IN THE DAYS 6-7 TIME FRAME.WITH THE WAVY SYSTEM OVER THE EAST THE AVERAGE OF ALL GUIDANCE HASADJUSTED SLIGHTLY FASTER COMPARED TO YDAY. THIS MAINLY REFLECTS ATENDENCY AWAY FROM A STRONG/WWD LEADING WAVE THRU THE ERNGRTLKS/ST LAWRENCE VLY AS FCST BY MULTIPLE ECMWF RUNS AND STILLSHOWN TO SOME DEGREE BY THE UKMET/CANADIAN. FARTHER SWD THERE ISGENERAL AGREEMENT AMONG NON-CANADIAN SOLNS THAT ANOTHER WAVESHOULD FORM AND TRACK NEAR THE EAST COAST EARLY NEXT WEEK. BYLATE MON-TUE AN AVERAGE AMONG THE WRN GFS/ERN ECMWF ALONG WITH THEBROADER ENSEMBLE MEANS HELPS TO KEEP CONTINUITY CHANGES MODESTGIVEN CONTINUED UNCERTAINTY OVER IMPORTANT BUT DIFFICULT TORESOLVE SHRTWV DETAILS ALOFT.AS A REFLECTION OF THE BETTER THAN AVERAGE LARGE SCALEAGREEMENT... THE DAYS 3-7 SAT-WED FCST IS BASED ON A SLIGHTMAJORITY OF 00Z GEFS/12Z ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN SOLNS... WITH THEREMAINDER COMPOSED OF THE OPERATIONAL GFS/ECMWF TO ADD SOME DETAILWHILE NOT SKEWING THE FCST TOWARD EITHER INDIVIDUAL MODEL.RAUSCH

Yeah there still could be a flip to snow, even the euro has that. The question is how much moisture is left.

Archived