• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 5-8 storm discussion

OKpowdah

Some of the scenarios on the ensembles are close to a massive ice storm in the interior with wave #2....it doesn't cool off the mid-levels in time for big snow but the sfc cools ahead of it and it produces an ice storm.

The 06z DGEX is a Dec '08-esque ice storm. :lol:

f150.gif

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the scenarios on the ensembles are close to a massive ice storm in the interior with wave #2....it doesn't cool off the mid-levels in time for big snow but the sfc cools ahead of it and it produces an ice storm.

The 06z DGEX is a Dec '08-esque ice storm. :lol:

f150.gif

That's like the 06z GFS on roids with the second wave...lol.

This is the time of year for the die hard winter wx lover now. We aren't gonna gain base (generally) anymore, but if you can get rain to snow events etc. it is still fun. Gotta savor every bit of winter wx knowing that after March we enter the desert for about seven months.

It 4F when I went to bed a midnight and it says 34 now..... obviously a major spike ahead of the front.

Yeah there still could be a flip to snow, even the euro has that. The question is how much moisture is left.

That's like the 06z GFS on roids with the second wave...lol.

The gfs ensembles from 12z yesterday had a stronger 2nd wave/system forming (to a lesser extent 00z). Fair chance of it shaking out that way, IMO. HPC on board somewhat

This is the time of year for the die hard winter wx lover now. We aren't gonna gain base (generally) anymore, but if you can get rain to snow events etc. it is still fun. Gotta savor every bit of winter wx knowing that after March we enter the desert for about seven months.

Agree with all but the snowpack comment, which varies as one moves farther into NNE. Winter's deepest snow IMBY has come in March, in half of my 12 years here, and I'm only 1" from this winter's max to date. Admittedly, only 3 times has the peak come after 3/10. In Ft. Kent the max came in March about 80% of the years, and only the drift pattern prevented it from being in April 1982. (Began that 17" blizzard with 28" at the stake, finished with 27" and a 6" drift 10' away. Winter topped at 38" that year.)

GFS shows the ice potential in the interior...the low level cold will filter in easier than the ML Cold.

It will be interesting to see if this potential begin to ramp up on other guidance as we get closer. Hopefully everything trends colder and its just snow for the 2nd wave. But ice is a legit possibility.

GFS shows the ice potential in the interior...the low level cold will filter in easier than the ML Cold.

It will be interesting to see if this potential begin to ramp up on other guidance as we get closer. Hopefully everything trends colder and its just snow for the 2nd wave. But ice is a legit possibility.

Funny that some think an ice storm can't happen in March considering the heavy icing we just had.

Funny that some think an ice storm can't happen in March considering the heavy icing we just had.

Well there;s a big difference between getting some ice and a damaging ice storm. Sure there can be ice in March...but chances of an all out icestorm are less than they would be in Dec or jan..though there have been a few decent winds over the past 100 yrs

Early March ice storms are not that uncommon...we had a pretty good one on March 2, 2007. February 28-Mar 1, 1995 was a really bad one that got even downtown BOS with big icing.

Ray's biggest ice storm he remembers was in March 1990. We had an ice event near the equinox in 1991 too. I think it was Mar 22-23, 1991.

Until some other modelling besides the goof shows this scenario..it's hard to give it much credence

Euro last night essentially showed it...maybe it was a tad colder so more sleet and snow was in the 2nd wave, but its set up was not far off.

I hope it happens..it would quiet down the few enthusiasts on here who are hoping for flooding and home damage

It's probably going to have a wintry end for someone in New England, but could very well have a ton of rain preceding it. Someone is getting a ton of water I think.

It's probably going to have a wintry end for someone in New England, but could very well have a ton of rain preceding it. Someone is getting a ton of water I think.

It looks to me like much of the flooding rains will fall to our west. Maybe the OV into upstate NY get most of it. That would upset a few of the flood enthusiasts

It would be a huge slap in the face to the GFS if QPF averaged less than 2" considering what yesterdays runs were spitting out.

its qpf so cant take too seriously..

but

there has been plenty of face slapping of the euro/backpatting of the GFS for this event in the central forum, where the euro was predicting qpf outputs in the 4-6 inch range in spots. some of those same places now look to get maybe 1, much more in line with the GFS had there.

once again, its all about perspective.

Archived