12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
March 5-8 storm discussion

OKpowdah

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro is rain ending as snow, but its quite concerning the pressure pattern in the interior for that 2nd wave with the wind out of the N...there is definitely the possibility of significant icing in that setup where the LL cold filters in ahead of the ML cold. Its a lot of qpf that falls too after the winds go northerly.

At any rate, a lot of time to work out a fragile setup like that.

Euro is rain ending as snow, but its quite concerning the pressure pattern in the interior for that 2nd wave with the wind out of the N...there is definitely the possibility of significant icing in that setup where the LL cold filters in ahead of the ML cold. Its a lot of qpf that falls too after the winds go northerly.

Looks like more ending as ice or sleet to me... 850s still pretty warm.

Looks like a lot of rain in ct though. Kevins weenie lifeless

That's true. He doesn't mind 39F and r/r+

I do think this needs to be watched very closely though in the interior for a possible decent wintry impact. Probably the more typical "ice climo" areas like ORH hills N of the pike, Monads, Berkshires and Litchfield hills.

Some of these runs are nearly 1.5" of qpf in ice/snow with the 2nd wave. There's like a 1040mb high building into E Ontario and W Quebec as the low is climbing the coast, so it will probably have some decent LL cold to tap into.

Still quite a ways out and it the whole thing could turn to horse sh** in another few runs, but as of now, I think it will have to be watched.

I do think this needs to be watched very closely though in the interior for a possible decent wintry impact. Probably the more typical "ice climo" areas like ORH hills N of the pike, Monads, Berkshires and Litchfield hills.

Some of these runs are nearly 1.5" of qpf in ice/snow with the 2nd wave. There's like a 1040mb high building into E Ontario and W Quebec as the low is climbing the coast, so it will probably have some decent LL cold to tap into.

Still quite a ways out and it the whole thing could turn to horse sh** in another few runs, but as of now, I think it will have to be watched.

yeah that's been a pretty stable feature for a few days now and guidance is certainly seeing the low level cold quite nicely. not too often we see the surface chilling off so far in advance of the mid-levels at this time frame on a global.

it's such a fine line in the evolution there. could see it being a pretty challenging forecast set-up for parts of the area because timing is obviously going to be key - assuming this plays out somewhat close to modeled attm.

We were just talking about th 2m temps looking cold despite being probably "climo" contaminated. Nasty..lol. Kevin might have Ray's 33F rain.

I'd be ice if that setup ends up verifying..It'd be like a 29-30 ice on trees only event. Pays to know your climo

Certainly does...how many times have you been like 35F and rain while I was 31F and ZR? I think its happened like at least half a dozen times in the past 3 winters alone.

Only time i recall is Dec 08 and I even had some ice in that one

Three times in February alone...this past event you flipped to a 34F rain for hours and hours while it was 30-31F up in this area. Feb 25th event we iced all afternoon while you were mid 30s and rain, and then the Feb 5-6 event...marginal ice while it was all rain S of the pike.

Archived