amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 5-8 storm discussion

OKpowdah

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man I would give up my firstborn for some blocking right now. These last few weeks could have been unbelievable if we had it.

yeah this pattern had/has NNE written all over it. so many big qpf events but a big old fat se ridge and transient cold.

hopefully something like the 12z gfs or yesterday's 12z ec run can come close to verifying. if not, for the sake of interesting weather i hope it doesn't just end up a meh fropa. i'd rather see a hvy rain event/torch and follow the hydro issues than watch a cold front come through with a quarter inch of rain followed by gusty W winds.

True, but HPC has been liking the Euro on this for 3 days now so to see the GFS come to it is good. Big Highs in Ontario generally mean colder outcomes no?

Well you could also have something the euro op has in which the trough just lifts out with no real flip to snow, or the 06z GFS in which low pressure developed and moved into NYC because the trough was a little more amped up. There are a few different solutions.

It's not terribly hard to do something the GFS did and even the euro ensembles implied something like this..so there is some merit. It's also a little threading the needle too.

The only thing is that I can't tell how much QPF falls once the temp drops. There looks to be some, but most of the QPF is along the front. It might be a little better for Pete and up through NNE.

Plenty of time to work that out . With the exception of 1 or 2 posters I don't think anyone wants a widespread flooding rain event or even any rain at all for that matter. Most want snow or ice

Yeah if that were to happen..what a dynamic storm, and everyone would see similar conditions too..lol.

Wow this would be the ultimate capper to a fantastic winter - flooding rains to rare ZR/IP for the immediate CP to a foot of blue snow. If there's any solution I'd pay for it's the 12z goofus.

give me blocking or give me death

do we really think the 12z gfs or something very similiar is likely ...i mean scott would you think it more than 40-50% that we get at least 4+ inches of snow from a system like this ....or would it be heavy rain to sleet......then to a final burst of snow or something.

i am hopeful but just trying to figure out how much of a long shot were dealin' with

give me blocking or give me death

do we really think the 12z gfs or something very similiar is likely ...i mean scott would you think it more than 40-50% that we get at least 4+ inches of snow from a system like this ....or would it be heavy rain to sleet......then to a final burst of snow or something.

i am hopeful but just trying to figure out how much of a long shot were dealin' with

I don't have the courage to throw out probs like that..lol, but I don't think it's unrealistic to envision some sort of wintry end. It's 7 days out, so lets not get carried away. In fact, it's not really worth talking about it all that much, since lots could happen.

I don't have the courage to throw out probs like that..lol, but I don't think it's unrealistic to envision some sort of wintry end. It's 7 days out, so lets not get carried away. In fact, it's not really worth talking about it all that much, since lots could happen.

I would wait until friday.....lol

The Mar 5-7 storm has the potential to be the first true warm rainer since mid December for interior SNE.

Since Dec 26, 2010 (beginning of the continuous snowpack for much of New England):

BDL - only 0.08" of rain fell at temps above 35F (Jan 2, Feb 18)

ORH - only 0.16" of rain fell at temps above 35F (Jan 2, Feb 18)

CON - no rain fell at temps above 35F

Are you sure about that for CON? New years eve/day was pretty toasty around these parts.

Plenty of time to work that out . With the exception of 1 or 2 posters I don't think anyone wants a widespread flooding rain event or even any rain at all for that matter. Most want snow or ice

I hope no one really wants flooding to occur... why delight in other's misery?

I don't begrudge warmth/sun/rain, but floods?

If heavy, widespread flooding was a near-certainty, you would embrace it and fully welcome it.

Archived