12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Going forward into March

CoastalWx

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's amazing how models have been waaaaaaaay too aggressive in bringing in the cold to the east. I've been looking back at models from 4 days ago...I did this the other day too...and man models like the GFS ensembles are just night and day. Pretty remarkable.

Not only that, it seems the GFS time and time again overmodels cold shots and makes them colder than reality.

It's amazing how models have been waaaaaaaay too aggressive in bringing in the cold to the east. I've been looking back at models from 4 days ago...I did this the other day too...and man models like the GFS ensembles are just night and day. Pretty remarkable.

The extremity of the -PNA has definitely hurt. We probably would have been much colder if we could get the NAO even a bit negative, but it has not cooperated. We can handle a -PNA a lot of the time, but not an extreme one with no other help. So we're seeing a lot of these systems turn into cutters. The -EPO alone isn't enough to overcome them. We can see it trying...like with tomorrow's system, but just not quite enough.

Some of it has to do with smaller nuances in the flow too and not just the larger scale pattern....but the larger scale pattern allows for us to be at the mercy of those nuances rather than forcing it to a colder solution regardless of nuances.

We'll see if the orientation can right itself a bit as we head into the first half of March. Canada is extremely cold...it would be nice to tone down the -PNA a tad to allow us to filter more of that down here.

The extremity of the -PNA has definitely hurt. We probably would have been much colder if we could get the NAO even a bit negative, but it has not cooperated. We can handle a -PNA a lot of the time, but not an extreme one with no other help. So we're seeing a lot of these systems turn into cutters. The -EPO alone isn't enough to overcome them. We can see it trying...like with tomorrow's system, but just not quite enough.

Some of it has to do with smaller nuances in the flow too and not just the larger scale pattern....but the larger scale pattern allows for us to be at the mercy of those nuances rather than forcing it to a colder solution regardless of nuances.

We'll see if the orientation can right itself a bit as we head into the first half of March. Canada is extremely cold...it would be nice to tone down the -PNA a tad to allow us to filter more of that down here.

If not, we're stuck in the late 1980's hell in which we currently reside; buyers of the cold Canada beware...

Exactly, and that is the frustrating part. As you said before, we've produced with similar patterns, but for the time being we are about 50-100 miles into the screw zone.

Lets just hope the models are right with the ridging into the southwest. Models have been too aggressive retrograding that west as well. However, there are maybe some signs that it may relax..as you noted. Right now, I wouldn't feel comfortable with it..given how the pattern is so stubborn to a strong -PNA. Hoepfully the second week of March produces.

Exactly, and that is the frustrating part. As you said before, we've produced with similar patterns, but for the time being we are about 50-100 miles into the screw zone.

Lets just hope the models are right with the ridging into the southwest. Models have been too aggressive retrograding that west as well. However, there are maybe some signs that it may relax..as you noted. Right now, I wouldn't feel comfortable with it..given how the pattern is so stubborn to a strong -PNA. Hoepfully the second week of March produces.

i wish i could take this winter out back and shoot it.

:thumbsup:

:hug:

I think the trend is clear. Models will tease us but we're not going to get a favorable pattern. We will have some type of shot between the 6th and 10th and then it's back to the SE Ridge and game over for most of us in SNE.

Like Kev said nickel and dime time, JMHO, and maybe we get lucky on a bigger system but we're almost into March and we're still talking about "10 days from now"....

Basically the pattern began to flip to a more classic La Nina a few weeks ago and that persists into early March. Now if we are going to have an early Spring comeback (also happens in La Ninas) it is out past March 7th IMO.... Maybe March 10-31 can be fun for us far enough north to still cash in.

I think the trend is clear. Models will tease us but we're not going to get a favorable pattern. We will have some type of shot between the 6th and 10th and then it's back to the SE Ridge and game over for most of us in SNE.

Like Kev said nickel and dime time, JMHO, and maybe we get lucky on a bigger system but we're almost into March and we're still talking about "10 days from now"....

Basically the pattern began to flip to a more classic La Nina a few weeks ago and that persists into early March. Now if we are going to have an early Spring comeback (also happens in La Ninas) it is out past March 7th IMO.... Maybe March 10-31 can be fun for us far enough north to still cash in.

By about 3/15 a lot of southern sne sees dramatically lower chances of snow. That's why I think we need to make it happen the 7th thru 10th.

Either way it's been a good winter.

I measured 18 in my yard on avg late yesterday afternoon. Couple spots have over 20. Figure I'll lose a good 6+ tomorrow esp if the south winds rip which they probably will..but hopefully it's for a fairly short period..then we flash freeze and snow at the end.

Staffordville still with 21 lol

The cutter next week looks worse..so will probably lose much of the rest

Yeah, 20" still on this side of town, I just hope we don't get flooded after these two big rain events...

Well it still seems like the second week (after maybe March 5th or 6th) holds some promise. We still have a se ridge, but the PNA relaxes a bit and possibly very weak -nao ridging. Being so far out, it could still go to crap..but for once...the overnight models cooled a bit during this time.

Well it still seems like the second week (after maybe March 5th or 6th) holds some promise. We still have a se ridge, but the PNA relaxes a bit and possibly very weak -nao ridging. Being so far out, it could still go to crap..but for once...the overnight models cooled a bit during this time.

Big positive direction in the long range...around 3/10.

Archived