• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Snow Thread

dryslot

Oh, so that's where this snowmobile cover came from. I was wonderin'.

LOL--that sucker blew all the way to Maine. I thought I saw something wizzing by, heading eastbound. ;)

Amazing what a fresh inch will do to cover the nastyness.

Already down to 20 since my last post...

Found the cover wrapped around a tree next door, though it wouldn't have surprised me if it had made to at least Allenson's, the Whites would have blocked it from getting to Maine! Went on our club's annual Poker Run and I have to say our trails held up quite well. A little icy in spots but the new snow blew into them quite nicely. Down to 14F and still quite windy. Rode about 60 miles this morning and I am going out again for another 50 or so tonight. :sled:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My out-the-window guess of near 2" was pretty good early this morning...

Measured 1.9" from the overnight squalls, and another 0.4" today from off-and-on flurries... total of 2.3" past 24 hours at 800ft in Stowe village.

I'm surprised the radar isn't more impressive as we've been seeing steady light snowfall now for the past couple hours. Up at the mountain it was full-on whiteout conditions... could barely see the car in front of me coming down Harlow Hill and occasionally during stronger gusts you couldn't even see the car in front.

Light snow continues to fall despite a weak looking radar. Upslope seems to be the culprit as its definitely snowing a lot more steadily/harder as you move towards the mountain.

Have not had a chance to post today but wow did we have that fropa around 2am last night. The wind just roared through. Woke everyone up and cats were going ballistic. My Davis only recorded a gust to 38mph but I have a large spruce tree just 25 feet to the west of the anomometer so the gusts had to be in the 50's! I can't believe we did not loose power and this morning there were no trees down just small branches and twigs.

We got about 1/2" in a early morning squall but it quckly blew into the woods or sublimated.

18Z Nam has shifted the monday storm a tick north, Sometimes it can sniff out trends early on and it may be with this storm here, Still looks like we could see a 3-5" type storm if things play out up this way

18z GFS isn't going to cut it for NNE, lol. I'm hoping for enough orographic lift to squeeze out an inch or two of fluff.

gfs_p24_048m.gif

Must've been a second front last evening or some other piece of energy? More squalls came through and wind really came up again yesterday just as darkness was setting in. It snowed for a while but the flakes were so tiny that only 1/2" or so fell.

6F now and still quite breezy out there. Winter's back, make no mistake.

Doesn't look that impressive for tonight/tomorrow. But, I'll take a couple-three inches of fluff, yes indeed.

Found the cover wrapped around a tree next door, though it wouldn't have surprised me if it had made to at least Allenson's, the Whites would have blocked it from getting to Maine! Went on our club's annual Poker Run and I have to say our trails held up quite well.

That's good--I was wondering how the trails held up during the thaw. I drove by a few spots here in town yesterday where the snowmobile trails cross a road and they looked ok, if a little firm. I saw fresh sled tracks, so I figured they couldn't too bad if folks were out riding.

My brother is up in Toot's country riding now. He's been up there all week and is pushing for 1000 miles. Last I knew, he was at 800.

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/0.01” L.E.

Sunday 2/20/2011 7:00 A.M. update: We picked up a tenth of an inch in this location from yesterday’s upslope activity.

Below are some 48/72-hour snow totals I’ve seen for the VT mountains, listed north to south:

Jay Peak: 6”

Burke: 3”

Smuggler’s Notch: 3”

Stowe: 6”

Bolton Valley: 3”

Mad River Glen: 1”

Sugarbush: 4”

Pico: 8”

Killington: 8”

Okemo: 0”

Bromley: 0”

Magic Mountain: 1”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 0”

The Killington area seemed to do well with yesterday’s activity, reporting 8 inches in the past 24 hours.

The next event is tonight into tomorrow, and it looks like a couple of inches for this area.

Some details from the 7:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 10.0 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy, Flurries

Snow at the stake: 20.0 inches

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/0.01” L.E.

Sunday 2/20/2011 7:00 A.M. update: We picked up a tenth of an inch in this location from yesterday’s upslope activity.

Below are some 48/72-hour snow totals I’ve seen for the VT mountains, listed north to south:

Jay Peak: 6”

Burke: 3”

Smuggler’s Notch: 3”

Stowe: 6”

Bolton Valley: 3”

Mad River Glen: 1”

Sugarbush: 4”

Pico: 8”

Killington: 8”

Okemo: 0”

Bromley: 0”

Magic Mountain: 1”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 0”

The Killington area seemed to do well with yesterday’s activity, reporting 8 inches in the past 24 hours.

Haha, you can tell its been very windy in the mountains when the ski area snowfall list is all over the place.

I've had the past two days off from Stowe so I can't comment on the snowfall up at the mountain from Friday night through last night... but I do know that the Mansfield co-op came in with 4" of new snow yesterday evening and they historically run low.

I'm heading up today for a few runs to see whats transpired in terms of snowfall. GIven that the Mansfield stake had 4" NEW yesterday afternoon, I don't doubt the 6" 48 hour total on the upper mountain from my colleague.

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
532 PM EST SAT FEB 19 2011

STATION            PRECIP   TEMPERATURE   PRESENT         SNOW
                  24 HRS   MAX MIN CUR   WEATHER     NEW TOTAL SWE
...VERMONT...
MOUNT MANSFIELD     0.31    39  -4  -4                4.0  70

Well I'm working this weekend (right now, yawn) but I figure I'll describe what I've seen.

Friday...was otherworldly, seriously. I mean, after 45 days of deep winter, it was suddenly 60 degrees. I had the day off, so I was tooling around Hanover. I walked down the street to the CT River, and noticed a big difference in temps at the river, and just up the hill a little bit in the pine tree area. I wish I had my kestrel that day...it was at least 57-60 degrees in the sun, and 10-15 degrees cooler in the pines area. But that day was just what a Seasonal Affective Disorder guy needed. Despite it being a major tease, I can deal with another batch of cold now, because I got my break. Plus, its now cold enough for snow again. :)

I experienced the squalls Sat morning heading into work. Temps had just dropped to freezing, so roads were turning to crap right before my eyes. I wish I was counting, but there seems to be quite a few snow squalls this year....like once a week or something. At least in my 3 other winters up here, it was not that frequent. Maybe this is normal? But I kind of doubt it.

Walking into work this morning was...some serious BURR. Despite the gorgeous skies, that wind cuts through the skin like nothing else. Two friends of mine (one just happens to be a member of this board) is hiking Mt Madison in the Presidentials today. I can't imagine the cold they are feeling right now.

WInd on Mt Washington is sustained at 66 mph with a 15 min gust to 83 mph. Visibility 1/16 of a mile, 3 degrees. It prob wont be QUITE as bad on Madison...but yeah....haha I dont think I'd attempt a presidential on such an insane day. More power to him!

visibility looks much improved.

post-1533-0-72418100-1298224715.jpg

visibility looks much improved.

Just a bit. lol

METAR KMWN 201758Z 33063G72KT 120SM

On another note...I'm sorta missing the warm weather now. I still love my heart of winter cold/snow, but as March approaches I yearn for spring a little earlier every year. Just like the first snow...I always find that first 70F day enjoyable.

While in exile down here in The City I live vicariously through you, Dudeslot.

How'd your trails/crossings do? I imagine all trails remain good but are there any heating issues with the ice down there?

Vim Toot!

I went out for a local ride after the first warm up, temps were in the low 20's and I had overheating problems, trails were just to firm, we should get a little fresh tonight and Monday which should help.

Just a bit. lol

METAR KMWN 201758Z 33063G72KT 120SM

On another note...I'm sorta missing the warm weather now. I still love my heart of winter cold/snow, but as March approaches I yearn for spring a little earlier every year. Just like the first snow...I always find that first 70F day enjoyable.

Haha good. Must have been a ground blizzard or something. Or one of those patented Mt Washington clouds.

And I couldn't agree with you more with the warm weather. We've had one heck of a winter in my opinion...cold, big snowstorms. If it didnt snow another flake this year I'd be content. Of course we all know what wont happen haha.

While in exile down here in The City I live vicariously through you, Dudeslot.

How'd your trails/crossings do? I imagine all trails remain good but are there any heating issues with the ice down there?

Vim Toot!

Trails made out ok, Have some snirt in spots, They are a little icy as well, We could use a couple of inches to aid the cooling and keeping the hyfaxs from screaming....

Kinda curious as to the current storm bearing down on the East...

Watching the radar ongoing, it looks like the system is generally West to East in movement. Is it supposed to slide Southeast (be suppressed) more within the next 12 hrs?

Precip could be more prominent in NNE than forecasted?

Kinda curious as to the current storm bearing down on the East...

Watching the radar ongoing, it looks like the system is generally West to East in movement. Is it supposed to slide Southeast (be suppressed) more within the next 12 hrs?

Precip could be more prominent in NNE than forecasted?

Yes, The PV in canada is moving SE surpressing everything in that direction unfortunatly, But who knows, If its further north on the models some what we could see a little more west east movement but thats the weenie in me hoping

Yes, The PV in canada is moving SE surpressing everything in that direction unfortunatly, But who knows, If its dispalced on the models some what we could see a little more west east movement but thats the weenie in me hoping

I've let go of this one. Might get a coating or so. Hopefully the next one on Friday turns out in our favor.

Didn't know you were a NASCAR fan. Surprising win by Bayne and nice to see the Wood Bros back in the winner's circle.

Archived