joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Snow Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There hasn’t been any snowfall to report from our location yet, but we’ve got a special weather statement scrolling across on the Weather Channel now about wind and snow squalls. I stopped in at the BTV NWS site and grabbed the statement:

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
1125 PM EST FRI FEB 18 2011

NYZ028-030-031-034-035-VTZ001>012-016>019-190615-
CALEDONIA VT-EASTERN ADDISON VT-EASTERN CHITTENDEN VT-
EASTERN CLINTON NY-EASTERN ESSEX NY-EASTERN FRANKLIN VT-
EASTERN RUTLAND VT-ESSEX VT-GRAND ISLE VT-LAMOILLE VT-ORANGE VT-
ORLEANS VT-SOUTHERN FRANKLIN NY-WASHINGTON VT-WESTERN ADDISON VT-
WESTERN CHITTENDEN VT-WESTERN CLINTON NY-WESTERN ESSEX NY-
WESTERN FRANKLIN VT-WESTERN RUTLAND VT-WINDSOR VT-
1125 PM EST FRI FEB 18 2011

...A LINE OF RAIN SHOWERS QUICKLY CHANGING TO SNOW SHOWERS WITH
EMBEDDED SNOW SQUALLS WILL AFFECT NORTHERN NEW YORK...CHAMPLAIN
VALLEY...AND MOST OF CENTRAL AND NORTHERN VERMONT...

AT 1115 PM EST...A LINE OF RAIN SHOWERS QUICKLY CHANGING TO SNOW
SHOWERS WITH EMBEDDED SNOW SQUALLS WAS LOCATED FROM ELLENBURG TO
SARANAC LAKE TO STAR LAKE...AND MOVING EAST AT 45 MPH.

WIND GUSTS TO 50 MPH AND VISIBILITY BELOW ONE MILE CAN BE
ANTICIPATED WITH THESE SQUALLS...ALONG WITH A QUICK INCH OF SNOW
ACCUMULATION. THE SNOW WILL FALL ONTO WARM ROAD SURFACES...WHICH
WILL CAUSE IT TO QUICKLY MELT AND THEN RE-FREEZE. THIS COULD CREATE
VERY ICY CONDITIONS IF THE ROAD SURFACE IS UNTREATED.

THESE SNOW SQUALLS WILL BE IN THE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY BY MIDNIGHT AND
THROUGH EASTERN AND CENTRAL VERMONT BY 1 AM.

ASOS AT MASSENA REPORTED WIND GUSTS TO 50 MPH THIS EVENING AND
VISIBILITY AT SARANAC LAKE WAS DOWN TO 1/4 OF A MILE IN HEAVY SNOW.

USE EXTREME CAUTION IF YOU MUST TRAVEL INTO OR THROUGH THIS
POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS SNOW SQUALL. CONSIDER DELAYING TRAVEL UNTIL THE
SQUALL PASSES YOUR LOCATION.

It sounds like there are some vigorous winds and snowfall in there, I also grabbed a shot from the Intellicast radar, and a batch of moisture is heading this way:

18FEB11A.gif

I can hear the wind ramping up out there above us as I type this.

Reading the latest BTV discussion, it sounds like we’ll have some snow to report during this extended weekend, especially in the higher elevations, but we should get in on some in the valleys as well. The current numbers in the discussion are 3 to 5 inches in the higher elevations with the upcoming squalls and orographics tonight and tomorrow, and then 2 to 4 inches for the Monday event. I did notice that the latest local forecast graphic on TWC has us down for straight “Snow” on Monday vs. some of the lighter variants, so that’s good to see.

This is impressive. Very impressive right now. Full on white-out conditions... high winds and pasting snow. This stuff is sticking sideways to the building. Just pouring snow and flash freeze beginning. Everything is already white, hopefully we can pick up a few inches of upslope over the next 24hrs. BTV VAD showing 30kts at 1,000ft right now, its ripping.

BTV gusted to 41mph in that squall... highest sustained was 31mph. They dropped from 43F to 32F in 75 minutes.

Just heavy, heavy snow right now. This is great, cars already covered and you can tell its wet because snow is sliding down the windshields already, haha.

I hope some of that holds together for here!!!!

Set a new record wind for my six year old station of 55 mph at 2:03am. I'm saddened it missed the update window to get on wunderground, but a different gust of 54 did get posted.

New record 10 minute average windspeed of 36 mph was also set.

As a connoisseur of fine wind, I couldn't be any more amped up right now. This is my new favorite front... unbelievable roar in the lakefront pines, flickering power, power flashes in every direction, strong smell of pine in the air, bright enough moonlight to see the trees sway. Yay!

post-18-0-26848200-1298100865.jpg

Set a new record wind for my six year old station of 55 mph at 2:03am. I'm saddened it missed the update window to get on wunderground, but a follow-up gust of 54 did get posted.

As a connoisseur of fine wind, I couldn't be any more amped up right now. This is my new favorite front... unbelievable roar in the lakefront pines, flickering power, power flashes in every direction, strong smell of pine in the air, bright enough moonlight to see the trees sway. Yay!

:weenie:

Topped out at 52F here yesterday and back down to 22F now with some moderate to heavy snow squalls.

1.0" of fresh snow but it's snowing like hell as I type, so that figure will be on the rise.

Crazy night when I got home last night--it had cleared off, the winds were calm and it was already down to 37F. Then, the westerly wind got cranking and I could feel these blasts of warm air alternating with blasts of colder air. I've never seen my thermometer waffle so much. It was swinging back and forth between 36 and 44F. No joke, one minute I'd look and it would read 37 say and two minutes later, it was up to 43.8, couple minutes after that, back to 36, up to 42, down to 38... weird stuff.

OK, winter's back--held onto 24" of snowpack and looking forward to some freshening.

Absolutely wild here from 12:30am to 12:50am. Three quarters of an inch of snow in twenty minutes and looks like it was sprayed on the trees and the house like foam from an insulation gun. Gust to 48 mph at 12:40am and a ten degree temperature drop in 45 minutes. What a ride!

Ugh! That was only 5-10 minutes after I went to bed. I must have fallen asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow because the last thing that I saw when I looked out was that my snowmobile cover had blown off and is now who knows where and there was no snow at that time. Definitely a difference this morning. 18.7F with maybe a half inch of new snow. All in all, I guess this torch could have been worse but would really like to get a strong refresher.

Ugh! That was only 5-10 minutes after I went to bed. I must have fallen asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow because the last thing that I saw when I looked out was that my snowmobile cover had blown off and is now who knows where and there was no snow at that time. Definitely a difference this morning. !8.7F with maybe a half inch of new snow. All in all, I guess this torch could have been worse but would really like to get a strong refresher.

Oh, so that's where this snowmobile cover came from. I was wonderin'.

Set a new record wind for my six year old station of 55 mph at 2:03am. I'm saddened it missed the update window to get on wunderground, but a different gust of 54 did get posted.

post-18-0-26848200-1298100865.jpg

Weird...my max was a pedestrian 30mph. I assume you had that perfect localized effect again with a WSW wind?

Had a decent squall come through in the past hour. I'll actually have to go out and measure.26.9F

down to 15F now, hard to tell how much snow, its blowin pretty good, sounds like the Jet stream has decided to sit on top of the house. surprised the snowpack hasn't sealed shut yet, there was a lot of water on the move yesterday. amazing from tuesday to yesterday, Jay brook looked arctic, fully sealed shut with a heavy bed of snow, went to the rink yesterday with the windows rolled down, the brook had blown wide open with heavy run off, saw a 54F at one point, back to winter thank you

Event totals: 1.6” Snow/0.07” L.E.

Saturday 2/19/2011 7:00 A.M. update: Around 12:30 A.M. last night I was looking at the radar and noticed that the squall line seemed to be closing in on our area, so I peeked outside and it was a maelstrom just like the NWS had suggested. I don’t know exactly when it had started, but when I took a reading off the snowboard at that point there were 0.7 inches on it. I went back at 1:00 A.M. to check again and the reading was 0.8 inches, so the bulk of that shot happened pretty quickly, but I did grab one more radar shot just as the stronger echoes had finished passing through our area.

19FEB11A.gif

Observations from last night were as follows:

Time/Total Snow/Temp

12:30 A.M./0.7”/33.6F

1:00 A.M./0.8/32.4F

I did see more snow approaching off to our west at that point, and this morning there was another 0.8 inches on the board.

For the Vermont mountains I’ve seen the following accumulations reported, listed north to south:

Jay Peak: 3”

Burke: 2”

Smuggler’s Notch: 1”

Stowe: 3”

Bolton Valley: 2”

Mad River Glen: 1”

Sugarbush: 1”

Suicide Six: 0”

Pico: 0”

Killington: 0”

Okemo: 0”

Bromley: 0”

Magic Mountain: 0”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 0”

There seemed to be minimal snow south of the MRG/’bush area with last night’s activity.

Some details from the 1:00 A.M. and 7:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

1:00 A.M.

New Snow: 0.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 32.4 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 20.0 inches

7:00 A.M.

New Snow: 0.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 26.7

Snow Density: 3.8% H2O

Temperature: 23.9 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 20.0 inches

Weird...my max was a pedestrian 30mph. I assume you had that perfect localized effect again with a WSW wind?

Had a decent squall come through in the past hour. I'll actually have to go out and measure.26.9F

It did happen to blow from the right direction, but I wouldn't call it localized. The PSNH outage map lit up like a Christmas tree last night, even in your area. It's sinking in that it'll probably be another 5-6 years before I top 55 mph. Severe hurtyhurtz.

I noticed you can sorta see the snow blowing down the lake on my cam. Waterfront property down in Alton Bay will have some serious drifts to deal with today.

First house-creaking gust came thru about 3 AM; still windy, but probably 30s, not what eek got. 7 AM temp 32, up 5F from 9 last night, now back down to upper 20s. Have not seen a flake - since Wednesday of last week. MBY has been successfully eluding snowsqualls all winter. Snowpack down to 19" - lost 2" last two days but it's some solid. 06 gfs might get us 1/2" Mon; GYX talking possible advisory-level accum to the south, less for here. Same old same old... Has to change some time.

It did happen to blow from the right direction, but I wouldn't call it localized. The PSNH outage map lit up like a Christmas tree last night, even in your area. It's sinking in that it'll probably be another 5-6 years before I top 55 mph. Severe hurtyhurtz.

I noticed you can sorta see the snow blowing down the lake on my cam. Waterfront property down in Alton Bay will have some serious drifts to deal with today.

I saw 43kt at LCI around the time you had the big wind. CON had 47kt around 6am. Aside from the CON gust the gusts in my county (from Mesowest) are a bit lame.

Something definitely went through your area though around 7z. At 708z the 1348ft Gilford site had 35mph G 55mph with a WSW wind. Looking at radar you had a squall line pass just to your north around that time. You guys must've mixed some of those stronger winds down.

ON a side note...MWN from last night...

METAR KMWN 190649Z 30057G74KT 0SM TSSN BLSN FZFG VV000 M12/M12 RMK OCNL LTGIC OHD SHSNESNB30 TSB44 TS OHD VRY LGT ICG

Archived