12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NNE Winter Snow Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was -2 when I left the house, probably got near -5 at some point. Ideal rad cooling atmosphere, but 2 weeks since last accum makes for less than perfect snow albedo. Nasty crust on the snow, holds my 90-lb Lab about 3/4 the time. Probably holds a walking deer but a runner breaks thru - NOT good, as the coyotes will stay up all the time.

For several days, GYX has been taking the middle route between the inland runner models and whiff/near whiff models, and today it's looking like they've picked a winner. Not sure whether MBY is just north of the best (as it's been for about 6 storms this winter) or hits whatever jackpot this system holds. 06z gfs had AUG with about 1" and marginal 2m and h85 temps, RUM with 1/2" and all snow. Pretty sharp cutoff on qpf.

That run also has a 2" mix-to-cold-rain for early next week. Sure hope that changes.

Oooooo ... first call. Hadn't even thought of one. I'll say mby is lower than your 5-9, but just a tick. 4-7. Five or six is my pinpoint target. I don't know where Matt was coming up with 14" as a high end but more power to him.

I was thinking over 12 for some parts of the southern Whites, where it may be a little colder. Looks like some of the moisture might bank up in some places to enhance. I think 6-12 is a good forecast, with the 12 more in the higher elevations.

How much for Shawnee? That's where I'm headed Friday and Saturday, barring a monsoon. My dad's flying in from AZ. Of course, I'd been regaling him with tales of steadily building snowpack and now we're looking at depleted crust and staring down the barrel of a potential rainer. He was supposed to come the first weekend of the month, but couldn't get in due to fallout from the Grondhog Day storm.

BTW Vim Toot: Loved yesterday's post about the lonely existence of the NNE poster. You're right on the mark about being deemed irrlevant due to being so far downstream, and about the dearth of regularly-posting pros. But we are entering our sweet spot on the calendar relative to SNE -- and while the "endless winter" has ended, we should be in line for another interesting event or two. Here's to climo!

I like the NWS in Valdez, AK, anything under 12" doesn't get a special color to signify the impending doom.

I had no idea that it was so snowy down in town there, the annual average snowfall for Valdez is over 300", almost as much as the snowiest places in the Greens. They are certainly outside of this region, but as for the discussion about snowy places at low elevation, they certianly fit that description with an elevation of ~100' ASL or so.

I had no idea that it was so snowy down in town there, the annual average snowfall for Valdez is over 300", almost as much as the snowiest places in the Greens. They are certainly outside of this region, but as for the discussion about snowy places at low elevation, they certianly fit that description with an elevation of ~100' ASL or so.

the upper elevations outside of town, while not recorded like we do, see upwards of 900-1000". pretty much a shangri -la for me. its a pretty neat envoirn having a bay that never freezes and 6,000' peaks spouting up from the ocean, ready the history of early miners and then oil men makes your neck hurt from shaking in disbelief.

GFS held serve on qpf, maybe cooled 1F for the foothills, 5-7" verbatim. Their clown map has MBY 6-8" and a 10-12" lolli just south of IZG. Tuesday still looks a mess - would be game over for our eastern Maine timber harvests. Probably still enough snow in the woods, but once the ice leaves the roads, March is very unkind to trucking there. Western Mts and northern Maine operations would likely survive, pause, and resume once the water drains off and things cool down again.

GFS held serve on qpf, maybe cooled 1F for the foothills, 5-7" verbatim. Their clown map has MBY 6-8" and a 10-12" lolli just south of IZG. Tuesday still looks a mess - would be game over for our eastern Maine timber harvests. Probably still enough snow in the woods, but once the ice leaves the roads, March is very unkind to trucking there. Western Mts and northern Maine operations would likely survive, pause, and resume once the water drains off and things cool down again.

Clown maps have me at 10-12", Not, Once the roads are posted the loggers are cooked, And the frost heaves look like CTblizz's snowbanks

Clown maps have me at 10-12", Not, Once the roads are posted the loggers are cooked, And the frost heaves look like CTblizz's snowbanks

That signals the 2 AM shift, when the scales are open all night and hauling ends at 9 AM. (Or whenever any meltwater meets pavement.)

Frost heaves in my area are fairly civilized, at least no worse than average (so far.)

Edit: Does the Euro change your mind about the likelihood of 10-12"?

I posted it for you in the other thread.............. :snowman:

Thanks bro. Just saw that, wanted to make sure I got your attention, lol.

I'm surprised its that juicy. I would've expected around a half inch of liquid up here... or at least that's what I'm thinking as far as my operational forecast for the mountain.

Gun to my head right now is .5" QPF, 4-6".

Thanks bro. Just saw that, wanted to make sure I got your attention, lol.

I'm surprised its that juicy. I would've expected around a half inch of liquid up here... or at least that's what I'm thinking as far as my operational forecast for the mountain.

Gun to my head right now is .5" QPF, 4-6".

Yeah, I think the euro is still to amped, Will have to see if it starts to back off at 0z, Would love it if it did not, Tues storm track came east, Was going thru the great lakes west of you, Now it goes NE of VT thru NW Maine, The other thread has gone into the toilet so to speak, Hvy Hvy Depression in there........lol

Good for the snow, blah on the rain. Oh well, gotta accept what I get. Thanks Jeff!

John, That is based on the Nam at 12z, I think the GFS is better on the higher totals for you, I used PWM and they were all snow with close to 1.00" so it all depends on subtle shifts in track, And they have gone SE today which is good, I would hang in there its trending in the right direction, Jeff

Archived