• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
NNE Winter Snow Thread

dryslot

Very unusual to see a 2-day stretch where each run looks better for MBY. GYX has the foothills progged for 10-14", most they're seeing for any zones. Their snow map puts the tallest stripe in the northern foothills, but still has MBY in the 10-11" range, which would easily be winter's biggest (so far...) And it's close enough to the event that bullseye probably doesn't equal kiss of death. Be nice to clean up the snowbanks; today is #16 w/o measurable snowfall.

(Must.....not.....get.....excited.)

After two days of busting high for minima (old tired snow surface), it was -8 at 6:45 this AM and probably approached -10, pretty close to the forecast.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 00z Euro and 12z NAM at first are similar, but the 00z euro is colder during the aftn, especially aloft. I posted these euro products below but here is also the NAM with sim radar and critical thicknesses. Note the NAM is a bit warmer. It also shows how tricky this setup is, because the mixing area may be rather small, since colder air is trying to work in at the same time. These are for 18z and 21z tomorrow.

12z NAM

post-33-0-90268800-1298560549.jpg

post-33-0-53975500-1298560562.jpg

00z Euro

post-33-0-53180800-1298560580.jpg

post-33-0-31626800-1298560594.jpg

The 00z Euro and 12z NAM at first are similar, but the 00z euro is colder during the aftn, especially aloft. I posted these euro products below but here is also the NAM with sim radar and critical thicknesses. Note the NAM is a bit warmer. It also shows how tricky this setup is, because the mixing area may be rather small, since colder air is trying to work in at the same time. These are for 18z and 21z tomorrow.

12z NAM

post-33-0-90268800-1298560549.jpg

post-33-0-53975500-1298560562.jpg

00z Euro

post-33-0-53180800-1298560580.jpg

post-33-0-31626800-1298560594.jpg

Scott, Thanks for sharing those maps, Its always tricky with the track being this close, As i had said earlier, Subtle shifts will make big differnces especially along the coast and the coastal plain, Based on those it stays cold for the most part right to the coast, Its that area that Eck and the rest at GYX will have there work cut out and earn there pay...lol

HPC maps look north of GYX forecast and 12z Nam and 0Z Euro. Will trust what GYX meso skills vs. HPC broad brush in a situation like this.

they are a few hours but I like the idea that the odds of someone near here getting over a foot seem to be going up.

Scott

I think that euro map you posted fits my quick thoughts I just posted? Critical thicknesses get up to about een up to portland?

Well that yellow line may be close to the sleet line. I haven't dug into soundings or anything, but Mike might be right in that you might not know where it will mix until it starts. It's a very dynamic system with lots of convection. The convection alone may be enough to shift the storm track 20 miles or so either north or south. That's a very tough forecast.

This is what I mean by a possible narrow mix line.

post-33-0-40134300-1298563130.gif

When the low and mid level critical thicknesses are close together, usually means a quick transition from ra/sn from se-nw. Also IZG sounding is saturated to 200mb! Could be an absolute pounding.

Thanks scott

Just based off the 12znam/gfs and 00z euro I am sitting pretty.

yeah, working today. This is gonna be on of those situations where we may not know far north the significant mix makes it until it starts happening. We'll take a stab though.

Yeah, tough call for those areas on the fringe. Essentially the changes on the 12z NAM and 12z GFS are at the noise level to me (QPF remains the same, thermal profiles remain the same up here), but even 10 miles will make a huge difference for those on that line between significant mix and a maple mauler.

This is what I mean by a possible narrow mix line.

post-33-0-40134300-1298563130.gif

When the low and mid level critical thicknesses are close together, usually means a quick transition from ra/sn from se-nw. Also IZG sounding is saturated to 200mb! Could be an absolute pounding.

Boy is that close, I am north of the red line and south of the yellow line..

Boy is that close, I am north of the red line and south of the yellow line..

Well these just give a quick and dirty idea. You still gotta look at soundings and go by gut instinct. I'm doing en-route wx which is more of inflight hazards like tstms and turbulence , so I haven't looked hard at NNE wx. Looke like Mike has his work cut out, but I'm sure he'll give it his best like he usually does.

Well these just give a quick and dirty idea. You still gotta look at soundings and go by gut instinct. I'm doing en-route wx which is more of inflight hazards like tstms and turbulence , so I haven't looked hard at NNE wx. Looke like Mike has his work cut out, but I'm sure he'll give it his best like he usually does.

Another Ekster Epic tome

I am usually on the fence in these events, It will be close either way..

Damn. The more I look at that map the more I think its going to be close for me. Tonight Im going to be 15 miles due west of where the 2.4" is on that map. Its going to be close between getting like 1" and getting 5-8". I think 1" is looking more likely unfortunately, but 10 miles N of where I am might be a different story. Hopefully this verifies slightly south due to dynamics keeping it snow.

post-1054-0-35175500-1298564531.png

Archived