• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Feb 22 Snow Threat

WxUSAF

3.6" of snow and I get to 20" IMBY. With below normal temps in Dec and Jan (Feb too?) and 20" of snow, I call that a solid B/B+ winter.

Speaking of Feb...what's the status of our monthly temps relative to normal to date? Did this week get rid of all the below normal anomaly from the first 2 weeks? If the forecast for next week pans out, I'd wager we end up fairly close to average on the month.

I believe at least DCA is pretty decently above normal through yesterday, now. As for the first 2 weeks before this warm-up, it wasn't really all that below normal, actually, except for a couple of decent negative departures. At least for DCA, anyhow...but I think it's been similar at IAD/BWI.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and monday is also going to be well above normal which makes me think we'll be very hard pressed to get below normal.

euro is pretty warm toward the end of next week still.. would think another day or two 60+ there as well.

Actually, I think psuhoffman nailed that like 26 days in advance. ;)

You mean he's the first to say Bonds used steroids?:lmao:

Oh, wait, you mean that snowstorm! Yes, actually, he did call it pretty well in advance (not sure about "26 days", and I'm sure you're being a little tongue-in-cheek there, but I know what you're saying)!

I believe at least DCA is pretty decently above normal through yesterday, now. As for the first 2 weeks before this warm-up, it wasn't really all that below normal, actually, except for a couple of decent negative departures. At least for DCA, anyhow...but I think it's been similar at IAD/BWI.

it is still a pretty remarkable flip the last week. while we had not had any truly extreme cold air this winter prior it was consistently colder than average for much longer than most years. we were running near the head of the pack on general cold DJF days prior to this.

I am trying to find a past example of what's depicted by the models... can't remember any examples where we got accumulating snows behind an ENE-oriented front heading southward across the area that was so warm (60's) ahead of the front.

In terms of sensible weather-- this is pretty close, but the front in that case was the typical NNE orientation that moved eastward, not southward, across the area:

http://www.wundergro...tename=Virginia

Two fronts that headed south across the area followed by heavy snow were 2/6-7/67 and of course PDII, but in both, it was much colder ahead of the front (cold enough to snow).

Any other examples out there?

Edited to add: 3/23-25/90 was a slow motion example of this scenario, I guess. Highs in the 60's on 3/23, with slowly, but steadily dropping temps through the night until snow broke out the next morning.

From LWX's afternoon disco

MONDAY NIGHT...THE LOW FROM HUDSON BAY WILL MOVE SOUTH ACROSS NEW

ENGLAND...DRAWING COLD AIR /AROUND -10C H85 TEMPS/ DOWN ACROSS THE

MID ATLANTIC. CONTINUED GULF MOISTURE CONVERGENCE WITH THE TROUGH

AXIS WILL PROVIDE RAIN...ESPECIALLY NORTHWEST MONDAY EVENING. AS THE

BOUNDARY SAGS SOUTH...RAPID COLUMN COOLING SHOULD ALLOW FOR A

CHANGEOVER TO SNOW AROUND MIDNIGHT BEFORE THE BOUNDARY/END OF PRECIP

MOVES SOUTH BY EARLY TUESDAY. WITH GROUND TEMPERATURES WARMING FROM

RECENT ABOVE NORMAL AIR TEMPERATURES...ANY SNOW LATE MONDAY

NIGHT...SHOULD END UP BEING SLUSHY ON THE GROUND. HOWEVER...AMPLE

MOISTURE AND GOOD LIFT SHOULD ALLOW FOR SOME HEAVY PRECIP RATES.

PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THIS MONDAY NIGHT SCENARIO OVER THE WEEKEND.

it is still a pretty remarkable flip the last week. while we had not had any truly extreme cold air this winter prior it was consistently colder than average for much longer than most years. we were running near the head of the pack on general cold DJF days prior to this.

Oh, I don't disagree, the + departures this week have been quite amazing compared to earlier this month and before that even. I was just talking strictly about the first part of Feb. by itself not being all that incredibly cold overall. But yes, overall this winter has been very consistently colder than normal until recently, especially Dec-Jan of course. In fact, I believe that time period was colder than last year. Almost assuredly, we'll have DJF as a total end up below normal, even with some large + departures.

fayetsville Arkansas got 25 inches from like .60 qpf

Others have already questioned this, I know...that liquid amount cannot be legitimate (or I'd be extremely surprised if it is!). Clearly can't be a from an actual core sample. It reminds me of Dec. 18-19 last year, DCA got 16" or so of snow from that event but only listed 0.50" QPF. No way. They later "updated" that, taking into account other reports and liquid equivalents in the area, to something that was a lot more reasonable.

18z NAM seems pretty close to the other models in placement of the major features through the end of its run. 850 0C line is right over Baltimore running E/W (north of DC) at 6z on Tuesday. Fair bit of rain before that for DC and Wes-land.

The 850 at 78h on the 18Z NAM is noticeably warmer than 84h 12Z for the same time (00Z Monday evening). 500-mb vort also looks farther north. Yeah, it's the 18Z NAM out near the end of it's run, blah blah, and all that...but still, it is what it is.

Grain of salt, but I think it's a good FYI on the GGEM....

http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/cmdn/pcpn_type/pcpn_type_gem_reg.html

Scroll to hour 92.

Verbatim, DC Metro begins to transition around 3-4am with a few hours of moderate/heavy snow. Thinking Tuesday AM commute will be tricky, but by afternoon this thing will almost be forgotten.

18z looks to start as rain area wide and then change to snow for DC north at the height...shows more precip falling before changeover...it's faster also...looks less impressive at 500 with two pieces coming through one to our north and one to our south where as 12z had a single piece moving through...a little less qpf but still gives the area a "jackpot" .5-.75"

Meh...I played a round of golf today. It was beautiful out there. I would take one last shot of winter but I have no chance of getting anywhere close to normal for my snowfall this year. With temps in the 60's at start of the storm the snow wont amount to much on streets. I think 3-6 is a very bold call. More like 1-3 of slush on grassy areas.

Meh...I played a round of golf today. It was beautiful out there. I would take one last shot of winter but I have no chance of getting anywhere close to normal for my snowfall this year. With temps in the 60's at start of the storm the snow wont amount to much on streets. I think 3-6 is a very bold call. More like 1-3 of slush on grassy areas.

Disagree...it all depends on how much we get after the changover...temps are going to go from the 40's when it starts to low 20's as it ends. It will all depend on the passage of the front. I would say if .2 or more fall's before the changover than we'll probably only end up with 1-3 but if we can get that changeover with .4 still left than 3-5" is not out of the question...GFS also showing some potential for hrs 168-192...all rain right now but cold air not that far off.

Archived