joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 22 Snow Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the day I move to Seattle. How epic is tracking this storm?

Not to be a debbie downer but I'm still iffy on this one. GFS led the way with the last threat by suppressing it south. It seems to want to do that again.

I do like that the Euro has it a bit warmer and north. It'll be cool to see the balance tipped. Just glad we at least will have cold air coming in.

12z GFS isn't to shabby. It stripes .5-.75 right thru md. Looks like a little rain to start changing to snow. Areas between the Mason Dixon and DC/Bmore look to make out the best. Also seems like NAM and GFS are speeding this system up a little which probably bodes well for us with more qpf falling in the early morning instead of mid-morning.

Lol guess the 12z GFS is making me eat my words. I think I can speak for all of us from NOVA Northward in that we would take this verbatim. Book it.

Now I'm worried about the Euro leading the way with a warmer solution. Can't say I'm not fickle.

The Euro has really been terrible recently. Take a blend. GFS right in the middle, GGEM suppressed, Euro north, nam not in range. Things are still looking good. I know you know this but sometimes it helps to be reminded.

The Euro has really been terrible recently. Take a blend. GFS right in the middle, GGEM suppressed, Euro north, nam not in range. Things are still looking good. I know you know this but sometimes it helps to be reminded.

Yeah you're right, of course they look great. Can't complain about a hit on the GFS and a hit with a blend of them all. Just got that post 96 hour pessimism in full throttle.

The Euro has been fine. People get wrapped up in 'that time it was way wrong.'

I started to jump on board the snow threat last night... pending that it holds (which I'm fairly sure it will) with tomorrow's model updates I'll issue a snowfall forecast tomorrow afternoon.

I think I'm with you on this one...fully on board. Lot of TV forecasters were pretty skeptical, but not for the normal reasons. Seems more so because it was going to be warm today :lol:

12z GFS isn't to shabby. It stripes .5-.75 right thru md. Looks like a little rain to start changing to snow. Areas between the Mason Dixon and DC/Bmore look to make out the best. Also seems like NAM and GFS are speeding this system up a little which probably bodes well for us with more qpf falling in the early morning instead of mid-morning.

Yeah, not too bad. Though when I looked at the precip amounts and temperatures, it didn't appear quite so optimistic to me. Looked to me like a good slug of moisture through 06Z Monday night, but that appears to be all rain, with the 850 and surface still just above freezing right through that time? Then about another quarter inch or so through 12Z that almost certainly will be all snow. Now, I cannot tell how fast temperatures will actually crash Monday evening/night, maybe the QPF that falls through 06Z will at least in part be snow? Just wondering.

Looks like at least the possibility of more chances down the road as well. It's always in the cards that we all bust low on seasonal total in your contest.

yeah it's possible. i mostly chose tuesday because i know it will snow tuesday. ;)

The front that goes through Monday night into very early Tuesday is just wicked...GFS has temps around 50F at 00Z Tuesday and by 12z temp is 15F!!:guitar: Most of the precip (~75% for Balt and DC and closer to 100% for points northward) is snow.

Uber front.

Kinda worried about the GFS flipping, but it does seem to be settling in

The front that goes through Monday night into very early Tuesday is just wicked...GFS has temps around 50F at 00Z Tuesday and by 12z temp is 15F!!:guitar: Most of the precip (~75% for Balt and DC and closer to 100% for points northward) is snow.

A very impressive drop in temperatures, that's for certain! One could make the pun and say a "precipitous" drop?

One thing which I mentioned before, and maybe you have other data at your finger tips than what one can see on the regular GFS model plots. That is, you say it looks like most of the precip (75%) in Balt-DC is snow. Not in any way arguing here, just trying to gather how that's the case...from what I saw it still looked too warm (850, surface) through 06Z, and by that time a fair amount of precip has already fallen. After 06Z another quarter inch or so falls that would clearly be snow with rapidly falling temperatures. But I don't see much or any of the stuff that falls through 06Z Monday night being of the frozen variety...unless, like I said, there's something I'm not seeing here. Which is why I'm asking.

A very impressive drop in temperatures, that's for certain! One could make the pun and say a "precipitous" drop?

One thing which I mentioned before, and maybe you have other data at your finger tips than what one can see on the regular GFS model plots. That is, you say it looks like most of the precip (75%) in Balt-DC is snow. Not in any way arguing here, just trying to gather how that's the case...from what I saw it still looked too warm (850, surface) through 06Z, and by that time a fair amount of precip has already fallen. After 06Z another quarter inch or so falls that would clearly be snow with rapidly falling temperatures. But I don't see much or any of the stuff that falls through 06Z Monday night being of the frozen variety...unless, like I said, there's something I'm not seeing here. Which is why I'm asking.

Changeover is ~6z probably, yes. Earlier in the north, later towards the south. You're right about the precip type...I was reading the wrong chart earlier. Probably closer to 60/40 or 50/50 for DC and more like 75/25 for the MD border counties.

Changeover is ~6z probably, yes. Earlier in the north, later towards the south. You're right about the precip type...I was reading the wrong chart earlier. Probably closer to 60/40 or 50/50 for DC and more like 75/25 for the MD border counties.

OK, that makes sense. Still, even 0.25" or so of precip that's all snow is pretty decent. And given that it will be right around rush hour, you know what that means, especially as temperatures will have been dropping rapidly. Of course, if we can somehow sneak the colder air in a little faster, it could be a fair bit more significant (kind of how the GFS was depicting yesterday, especially 18Z).:)

OK, that makes sense. Still, even 0.25" or so of precip that's all snow is pretty decent. And given that it will be right around rush hour, you know what that means, especially as temperatures will have been dropping rapidly. Of course, if we can somehow sneak the colder air in a little faster, it could be a fair bit more significant (kind of how the GFS was depicting yesterday, especially 18Z).:)

Based on the profiles, it looks like it would turn from rain, to perhaps a brief period of sleet and then quickly to very powdery snow. Would need to see BUFKIT details for snow crystal growth, etc..., but very cold profile for the last few hours of snow. So I'd say probably better than 10:1 ratios.

Archived