joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Over/under for amount of snowpack left

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frigid today...bright with still a strong and deep Boston area snowpack. Next week's torch looks like it is coming and brining WSW winds buoyed by thicknesses of >558 to really enhance PM temps. Hopefully the snowcover can temper it but it should survive unless it goes beyond 2-3 days.

Yeah..but if it's near 60 in spots...it's not going to be near 60 at 980 ft in Tolland, correct?

It will be near 60 in the CT River Valley and from me to Bob in SE Mass.

I can't see the ECMWF vertical profiles...but I'm assuming mixing isn't that great...

If there is snow on the ground, the more northern parts of the Valley in WMass (BAF, CEF, etc.) tend to stay relatively cool during these torches from what I've seen over the years. That part of the Valley gets relatively cold at night (colder than many elevated areas) and that cold is sustained during the day. When places in CT are approaching 70 during midday, they can still be in the mid-50's. The WMass Valley can keep the snow around, but they usually don't have much to start with. This year is a little bit different though...

If there is snow on the ground, the more northern parts of the Valley in WMass (BAF, CEF, etc.) tend to stay relatively cool during these torches from what I've seen over the years. That part of the Valley gets relatively cold at night (colder than many elevated areas) and that cold is sustained during the day. When places in CT are approaching 70 during midday, they can still be in the mid-50's. The WMass Valley can keep the snow around, but they usually don't have much to start with. This year is a little bit different though...

Love your Four Horseman sig

cool thanks for the info...I'm still trying to get a handle on the climo around here.

I can almost guarantee something like this will happen. 26" on average now.

My side of the street will have 15" of crusty brown snow, across the street will have a few patches of snow here and there.

Although if the 12z Euro is right with only a 1.5 day torch :whistle:

I still think this will happen. 15" in my yard and patches of snow where it drifted across the street.

Right now there's about 26-32" in my yard and 22-28" across the street, so I think this looks likely.

Lost an average of about 4" today. The average is around 22", but it varies a lot. Theres a protected area on the side of my house that still has around 3 feet! Then the exposed areas across the street that bake in the sun have around 16" OTG.

I'm guessing

No loss tommorow

2" weds

3" Thurs

5" Friday

Average snow pack end of the week will be 12-14", with some patches of grass in the sun torched areas and still 20" in some of the shaded, protected areas.

Lost an average of about 4" today. The average is around 22", but it varies a lot. Theres a protected area on the side of my house that still has around 3 feet! Then the exposed areas across the street that bake in the sun have around 16" OTG.

I'm guessing

No loss tommorow

2" weds

3" Thurs

5" Friday

Average snow pack end of the week will be 12-14", with some patches of grass in the sun torched areas and still 20" in some of the shaded, protected areas.

I lost an inch to 2" in spots I measured. Down to 20-22" or so...avg 21"? Although it is still dripping. At least my roof has less on it, too, but still covered 100%

I put some pics in the banter thread, but here is a pre-torch pic...from the same angle as I have historically used pre-torch pics...first one is today (Feb 16th) at 3pm....the 2nd one is for comparison on Jan 5, 2008 just prior to when we had a 17" snow depth wiped out in 5 days.

feb16orh3.jpg

08janpics052.jpg

And one other current angle from straight on:

feb16orh5.jpg

Archived