• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Over/under for amount of snowpack left

Damage In Tolland

Did 92-93 and 93-94 both have a similar 5H pattern with a +NAO manifested by the PV over Hudson Bay?

Only 93-94 had a slightly better Pacific so the positive snowfall departures got further south?

1994 had a much further SW low height anomaly than '92-'93...it had a max right near Hudson Bay...'92-'93 was mostly NE Quebec and New Foundland. '94 had a better PAC too so that also helped.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, its funny how perception can change with a badly timed torch or the longevity of deep snowpack. '92-'93 after early January had no torches and it was relentless with its active pattern...just one storm after another. Even the storms that didn't give us all snow were like 4-6" then sleet/ice and then it cooled off behind it...then we'd get an all snow storm...rinse and repeat. It was relentless. It just kept coming. Having two storms over 20" is big for my ranking...Dec '92 (greatest storm of my life) giving over 30" and then the March Superstorm giving just over 20". Then all the activity in between and a huge snow pack, its just hard to beat. It was a lot colder relative to average up there than here, but it was still an epic winter here. We probably experienced the snow/cold combo a little more the next winter in '93-'94...over 100" of snow and epic cold...but it wasn't nearly as good as '92-'93 because of lack of huge 20"+ storms and huge snow pack. We got over 20" snow pack that winter, but never really much more than 2 feet. We had a big torch in mid-late February that decimated a 2 foot snow pack down to like 5-6" before we rebuilt it a bit at the end of Feb '94 and early March...but '92-'93 didn't have that problem.

'95-'96 also had a brutal torch in Feb '96 that often gets overlooked because the Jan '96 torch was so much worse, but we had like 3-4 straight days over 50F in Feb '96 between about the 20-25th. That winter was tainted quite a bit by torches despite all the snow and overall cold anomalies.

After the New Years torch in Jan '93, it was literally game-on through late March.

its hard for us to get 20 inch storms here. i think i would be in heaven in a 30 inch event lol

92-93 had of course the superstorm which was by far the most intense blizzard i have ever witnessed here, and maybe even including my time in NYC.....up here it was the cold and windchill during the height of the blizzard (verified conditions) that was most striking.....it even would have met the cold criteria lol.

but we had another snowstorm after that, and then another one in april lol.

and before that it was relentless storms as you said, no big dumps, but just constant. and cold. we had a few windex polar front type events too with incredible temp drops.....always memorable. it was just a severe severe winter after janauary got going.

93-94 is in my top 5 winters. just like you guys, it was kind of like a watered down version of 92-93. less memorable events, less snowpack (about 2.5 feet was tops) but still above normal snowfall and with cold spells. it was definitely a very good winter though with 112 inches here and prolonged snowcover deep into april.

its hard for us to get 20 inch storms here. i think i would be in heaven in a 30 inch event lol

92-93 had of course the superstorm which was by far the most intense blizzard i have ever witnessed here, and maybe even including my time in NYC.....up here it was the cold and windchill during the height of the blizzard (verified conditions) that was most striking.....it even would have met the cold criteria lol.

but we had another snowstorm after that, and then another one in april lol.

and before that it was relentless storms as you said, no big dumps, but just constant. and cold. we had a few windex polar front type events too with incredible temp drops.....always memorable. it was just a severe severe winter after janauary got going.

93-94 is in my top 5 winters. just like you guys, it was kind of like a watered down version of 92-93. less memorable events, less snowpack (about 2.5 feet was tops) but still above normal snowfall and with cold spells. it was definitely a very good winter though with 112 inches here and prolonged snowcover deep into april.

Another reason '92-'93 is even more in epic lore for me than it already should be is because it was coming off the first 4 winters in which I had moved back here from Texas in 1988. I was too young to remember my first two years in MA from my birth until 1983...those 4 winters from 1988-1989 through 1991-1992 just happened to not have one single snow storm over 10" or more in ORH...the only 4 year stretch in the record books that has happened. And those were my first 4 years back. Unbelievable.

So you can imagine how a '92-'93 type winter felt when we get over 120" of snow with deep snow pack after 4 consecutive winters where the greatest one was 53" and two others were 35" or less. Just awful that stretch was....so it made '92-'93 even that much sweeter. Coming off the heels of those 4 straight winters (and 4 years to an elementary school kid is like an eternity), the 120"+ in 1992-1993 felt like 250" and the 30-35" snow pack felt like 60"....it was amazing. What a way to break out of the slump.

Another reason '92-'93 is even more in epic lore for me than it already should be is because it was coming off the first 4 winters in which I had moved back here from Texas in 1988. I was too young to remember my first two years in MA from my birth until 1983...those 4 winters from 1988-1989 through 1991-1992 just happened to not have one single snow storm over 10" or more in ORH...the only 4 year stretch in the record books that has happened. And those were my first 4 years back. Unbelievable.

So you can imagine how a '92-'93 type winter felt when we get over 120" of snow with deep snow pack after 4 consecutive winters where the greatest one was 53" and two others were 35" or less. Just awful that stretch was....so it made '92-'93 even that much sweeter. Coming off the heels of those 4 straight winters (and 4 years to an elementary school kid is like an eternity), the 120"+ in 1992-1993 felt like 250" and the 30-35" snow pack felt like 60"....it was amazing. What a way to break out of the slump.

yeah that is awesome for sure......but dont downplay 92-93 cuz you were coming out of a slump lol. to be honest, i moved from england to canada as a kid in the early 80s and 92-93 was to that date, also my biggest winter, similar to you.

but i remember it for the constant relentless action, and so do you hundreds of miles away, so it was the real deal defintely .

and actually Ottawa Blizzard on these forums, he lived elsewhere in 92-93 and i think he moved to ottawa in the late 90s.....the guy knows SO much about weather history, he is like an encyclopedia.

anyways, he reviewed all the records and looked at paper clippings in the public library......and he always says he wishes he could have been in ottawa in 92-93 due to the epicness of it all......so he could experience something like that

AND importantly, he was in ottawa in 07-08 so he has seen a big winter firsthand. but even he recognizes it would not compare to 92-93 in terms of severity, which is pretty incredible when you consider the amount of snow he saw in 07-08.

so it has been confirmed by an independent outside source who did not actually partake. :lol:

yeah that is awesome for sure......but dont downplay 92-93 cuz you were coming out of a slump lol. to be honest, i moved from england to canada as a kid in the early 80s and 92-93 was to that date, also my biggest winter, similar to you.

but i remember it for the constant relentless action, and so do you hundreds of miles away, so it was the real deal defintely .

and actually Ottawa Blizzard on these forums, he lived elsewhere in 92-93 and i think he moved to ottawa in the late 90s.....the guy knows SO much about weather history, he is like an encyclopedia.

anyways, he reviewed all the records and looked at paper clippings in the public library......and he always says he wishes he could have been in ottawa in 92-93 due to the epicness of it all......so he could experience something like that

AND importantly, he was in ottawa in 07-08 so he has seen a big winter firsthand. but even he recognizes it would not compare to 92-93 in terms of severity, which is pretty incredible when you consider the amount of snow he saw in 07-08.

so it has been confirmed by an independent outside source who did not actually partake. :lol:

People here still talk about the Dec '92 storm from time to time. Any time I ever bring it up they are like "oh yeah, isn't that the one that gave us 35" of snow and we were snow in for a week?", lol. Even after the Jan 2005 blizzard I would say "wow, that was incredible" and some people would say "that was bad, but the 1992 storm was a lot worse".

Also probably sticks in their mind that 3-6" of snow was forecast the day before the Dec '92 storm and 35" fell. It was a colossal bust.

People here still talk about the Dec '92 storm from time to time. Any time I ever bring it up they are like "oh yeah, isn't that the one that gave us 35" of snow and we were snow in for a week?", lol. Even after the Jan 2005 blizzard I would say "wow, that was incredible" and some people would say "that was bad, but the 1992 storm was a lot worse".

Also probably sticks in their mind that 3-6" of snow was forecast the day for the Dec '92 storm and 35" fell. It was a colossal bust.

wow

was that a cold storm?

december 92 was quiet around here. i had the record snowpack in 93, but you had the record storm.

we both got the Superstorm

wow

was that a cold storm?

december 92 was quiet around here. i had the record snowpack in 93, but you had the record storm.

we both got the Superstorm

No it was a marginal water logged storm....it was supposed to be 3-6" of slop with a lot of rain taint....also it ended up a lot juicier than anyone thought it would.

It was a huge elevation event....but even E MA at lower elevations (as you can see from the map) got snow in the latter stages that added up quite a bit. But the snowfall map is one of the most elevation dependent maps I've seen (outside of E MA just W of BOS and NW of BOS near where Ray is)

aewapc.jpg

I'm right in between the 32.1" and the 36.0" mark in central MA.

No it was a marginal water logged storm....it was supposed to be 3-6" of slop with a lot of rain taint....also it ended up a lot juicier than anyone thought it would.

It was a huge elevation event....but even E MA at lower elevations (as you can see from the map) got snow in the latter stages that added up quite a bit. But the snowfall map is one of the most elevation dependent maps I've seen (outside of E MA just W of BOS and NW of BOS near where Ray is)

aewapc.jpg

geezus that must have absolutley pelted with sick rates to get 36 inches of marginal snow

how long did this storm last?

geezus that must have absolutley pelted with sick rates to get 36 inches of marginal snow

how long did this storm last?

Friday at about mid morning until the next Saturday night near midnight. It was a long duration storm but it was definitely intense for a wet snow. The snow turned a bit drier at like 27-28F in the latter half but it was still relatively high water content, just not the total paste at 30-31F that it was early on.

Friday at about mid morning until the next Saturday night near midnight. It was a long duration storm but it was definitely intense for a wet snow. The snow turned a bit drier at like 27-28F in the latter half but it was still relatively high water content, just not the total paste at 30-31F that it was early on.

well 92-93 just got even better from my point of view :pepsi:

i'm always down to discuss that year

well i'm out

wonder what my thermo will read when i get up

well 92-93 just got even better from my point of view :pepsi:

i'm always down to discuss that year

well i'm out

wonder what my thermo will read when i get up

Yeah what you had in 50"+ snow pack that we lacked....we made up for with the December nuke. Snow pack was probably rotuinely 2 feet though for a lot of the winter and peaked right after that December bomb and then again after the March Superstorm where 30-35" occurred on the ground for depth.

The December bomb sort of brings that winter together for me...obviously it was a HECS and the best one ofmy life at that...but it made an otherwise crappy pattern in Dec '92 a great month just because of that storm....then when the real onslaught began in Jan '93, I didn't have to feel like we wasted December. Up there, it didn't matter because your Jan '93-onward was even better than ours so you could make up for missing December '92.

But it definitely was an epic year for both of our areas. It would take a March bomb of like 30" for me to even consider dethroning '92-'93 as my greatest winter ever.

aewapc.jpg

Wow, that's an amazing map!

I was too young to remember it, but looks like we received somewhere around 20" here in Northeast CT...

Wonder why we don't hear more talk about this storm?

I was too young to remember it, but it looks like we received somewhere around 20" here in Northeast CT...

I wonder why we don't hear more talk about this storm?

You don't hear a ton about that storm in SNE because look at the areas that got crushed....the only big population center that got totally destroyed was Worcester. Boston suburbs got hit very hard, but not 30"...more like 15-18" and Boston itself got like 10-12" with Logan airport at 9.1". Obviously Hartford and Providence got screwed. So its not very memorable for a lot of people.

Down in NJ and NYC they remember it for its insane coastal flooding. Most areas down there have Dec '92 as their highest storm surge on record...ahead of any hurricanes. Cape Cod resident will remember it too as they lost 12 homes into the ocean from that storm.

I was too young to remember it, but looks like we received somewhere around 20" here in Northeast CT...

Wonder why we don't hear more talk about this storm?

Partially because it's dwarfed by Hurricane Bob, Perfect storm and Superstorm 1993. In my mind that is a large reason, anyway, I'm pretty sure there's truth to that.

You don't hear a ton about that storm in SNE because look at the areas that got crushed....the only big population center that got totally destroyed was Worcester. Boston suburbs got hit very hard, but not 30"...more like 15-18" and Boston itself got like 10-12" with Logan airport at 9.1". Obviously Hartford and Providence got screwed. So its not very memorable for a lot of people.

Down in NJ and NYC they remember it for its insane coastal flooding. Most areas down there have Dec '92 as their highest storm surge on record...ahead of any hurricanes. Cape Cod resident will remember it too as they lost 12 homes into the ocean from that storm.

Yeah, that's true. So amazing though... it sounds like a really powerful and unique storm.

Oh, you would be a great person to ask about this... In the winter of '95-'96, BDL (Hartford area) received around 115" of snow. I know that the blizzard of '96 was big (15" or so here) but do you know where the other 100" of snow came from? I was just wondering what the season was like — if it was a long snowy type winter from November to April — or if there were just a lot of big storms that year. Thanks for the info!

Yeah, that's true. So amazing though... it sounds like a really powerful and unique storm.

Oh, you would be a great person to ask about this... In the winter of '95-'96, BDL (Hartford area) received around 115" of snow. I know that the blizzard of '96 was big (15" or so here) but do you know where the other 100" of snow came from? I was just wondering what the season was like — if it was a long snowy type winter from November to April — or if there were just a lot of big storms that year. Thanks for the info!

'95-'96 had many other 10"+ storms....wire to wire basically. It had it torches in between as I'm sure you already read about in this thread, but it was relentless with its 10" storms. Dec '95 had them and then again on Feb 16, 1996 and then again in March and even April had a big storm....and a moderate one before the big one.

Jan 3-4, 1996 was a big one before the '96 blizzard that often gets forgotten.So is Jan 12, 1996 (inland).

'95-'96 had many other 10"+ storms....wire to wire basically. It had it torches in between as I'm sure you already read about in this thread, but it was relentless with its 10" storms. Dec '95 had them and then again on Feb 16, 1996 and then again in March and even April had a big storm....and a moderate one before the big one.

Jan 3-4, 1996 was a big one before the '96 blizzard that often gets forgotten.So is Jan 12, 1996 (inland).

Nice... sounds like it really was an epic year, and it still has the record for the snowiest winter at BDL by a really wide margin. They recorded 115" in '95-'96, while the second place winter has about 30" less at 85". It'll be interesting to see how March and April play out this year...

It's pretty amazing how when we see two big storms in a row, one of them often gets completely overlooked. I noticed a similar event happened back in 1978 — I think Boston had their second biggest all-time snowstorm just a week or two before the famous blizzard — but we rarely hear about the first storm.

Nice... sounds like it really was an epic year, and it still has the record for the snowiest winter at BDL by a really wide margin. They recorded 115" in '95-'96, while the second place winter has about 30" less at 85". It'll be interesting to see how March and April play out this year...

It's pretty amazing how when we see two big storms in a row, one of them often gets completely overlooked. I noticed a similar event happened back in 1978 — I think Boston had their second biggest all-time snowstorm just a week or two before the famous blizzard — but we rarely hear about the first storm.

BDL's 2nd place winter is actually 93.1" in '77-'78 and then they had 91.4" in '93-'94.

Remember that grill pic? There's about 2 inches left down from 24 on Sunday. Anything not on the ground just torches.

I just noticed that the snow on our "shed" had melted over night. It had lost a lot yesterday, but aside from the margins appeared to ahve several inches on it. Apparently not as it's now clear.

Puddles on the driveway, melt water steadily dripping from the truck bed. Temp still dropping thought, 36.8/32. A slower melt. lol

Staffordville only lost 2" of snow pack yesterday - down to 23" as of this morning. A MADIS station in Enfield (elevation 135 ft) has 34.5" but unless that's deep in the woods, it's hard to believe.

http://www.nohrsc.nw...ion=5435H_MADIS

Good link for daily snow on the ground reports -

http://www.nohrsc.nws.gov/nsa/reports.html

Snuck down to 38 currently..And somehow ice has formed on top of the snowpack

Staffordville only lost 2" of snow pack yesterday - down to 23" as of this morning. A MADIS station in Enfield (elevation 135 ft) has 34.5" but unless that's deep in the woods, it's hard to believe.

http://www.nohrsc.nw...ion=5435H_MADIS

Good link for daily snow on the ground reports -

http://www.nohrsc.nw...sa/reports.html

Yeah i have 22-23 left..so I def will lose the bet..I don't believe that Enfield number at all. Enfield is a flat town..and never jackpotted in any snow event

Archived