• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Over/under for amount of snowpack left

Damage In Tolland

Will, great pictures. You can see how much tougher and crustier this snow is though than January 2008; that's the main difference I notice when comparing the two pictures. I'd think this one will be harder to melt because it probably contains a thicker top crust as well as more ice/sleet.

Still holding on to average of 3-4" down here, have had snow cover 8 miles from NYC since 12/26, just an amazing winter for us all.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will, great pictures. You can see how much tougher and crustier this snow is though than January 2008; that's the main difference I notice when comparing the two pictures. I'd think this one will be harder to melt because it probably contains a thicker top crust as well as more ice/sleet.

Still holding on to average of 3-4" down here, have had snow cover 8 miles from NYC since 12/26, just an amazing winter for us all.

Yeah this pack is definitely tougher, though if you look carefully in the Jan '08 pic you can see the lower half or 2/3rds of the pack is very crusty and tough (its what survived the Grinch storm on Dec 23-24, 2007). So that wasn't all powder. The torch in Jan '08 though lasted like 4-5 days with several in a row over 50F and culminating in a huge warm rainstorm...definitely not the same as what this one will be.

Yeah this pack is definitely tougher, though if you look carefully in the Jan '08 pic you can see the lower half or 2/3rds of the pack is very crusty and tough (its what survived the Grinch storm on Dec 23-24, 2007). So that wasn't all powder. The torch in Jan '08 though lasted like 4-5 days with several in a row over 50F and culminating in a huge warm rainstorm...definitely not the same as what this one will be.

What were the dates of the warm spell in January 2008?

I believe I went up to Vermont to visit some friends at Middlebury in mid-January (I spent my sophomore year at Vassar College in Poughkeepsie doing some education coursework and needing to be close to home)....it was probably around mid-month, and when the train arrived in Rutland I heard on the radio that RUT had set a record high of 59F that day. We were planning on going snowshoeing but had to cancel since there was no snow cover in the Green Mountains below 2500', truly awful. It stayed mild at Middlebury that weekend, basically sweater weather in the middle of January up at 44N. ...I think we had a campfire one night and temps were still in the mid 30s, compared to the average low which is 9F at that time of year. Standing water had just begun to develop a thin sheet of ice when we left the fire pit at 3AM to go to sleep.

Was there another torch later in January 2008 that would have affected Poughkeepsie? Once I returned to Vassar around January 20th from an extended winter break, I remember another warm spell when I went out for a couple late-night runs with temperatures hanging near 40F...again, incredibly unusual for Poughkeepsie in late January. There were a few patches of snow here and there, and then we had a hard freeze that turned the lawn and walkways in front of the dorm from a muddy mess into a sheet of ice. All of that winter was basically a dud in Poughkeepsie, we finished with around 30" of snow or so in my recollection with very warm temperatures dominating most of the winter except March, which I remember as cold but very dry. There was a snowstorm on February 22, 2008 that dropped 10" on the campus, the biggest snowfall of the year, and one other major snow in early December. I was having a lot of personal troubles though so my focus wasn't really on the weather, and it was also before I became addicted to meteorology at the hands of Mr. Skier Hansen.

Heavy Heavy Melting, but even with 57/41, Ive still only lost as low as an inch or 2 in protected to 4-5" in sun exposed areas. Even the most exposed areas still have 10"+ and protected areas still have 20" in some cases, not sure if the sun exposed area will last through tomorrow though.

It really is amazing to have temps around 60F and still have a well established 12-20" snow depth. Ive never even been in 60F temps without some patches of grass showing up in yards. The only place you see that is intersections, or right next to main roads, or places that our completely protected and had less the 6" of snow to being with.

I wasn't doubting you--it was a statement of incredulity.

50.6/32

DISASTER!!!!!!!

MID AND HIGH CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH A BURST OF ISENTROPIC LIFT

SHOULD ARRIVE THIS EVENING...AND SLOW THE RATE OF COOLING

OVERNIGHT. A SURGE OF WARM AIR ADVECTION AND INCREASING LOW-LEVEL

DEW POINTS IS ALSO EXPECTED TO RESULT IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF PATCHY

FOG WITH AREAS OF LOW CLOUDS. THIS SHOULD RESULT IN LOW

TEMPERATURES ABOUT 5-10 DEGREES HIGHER THAN WHAT WE HAD THIS

MORNING.

DISASTER!!!!!!!

MID AND HIGH CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH A BURST OF ISENTROPIC LIFT

SHOULD ARRIVE THIS EVENING...AND SLOW THE RATE OF COOLING

OVERNIGHT. A SURGE OF WARM AIR ADVECTION AND INCREASING LOW-LEVEL

DEW POINTS IS ALSO EXPECTED TO RESULT IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF PATCHY

FOG WITH AREAS OF LOW CLOUDS. THIS SHOULD RESULT IN LOW

TEMPERATURES ABOUT 5-10 DEGREES HIGHER THAN WHAT WE HAD THIS

MORNING.

Zoinks! FWIW, I'm about to bid the 50's farewell for the day as I've now slipped to 50.0/32.

Edit: Done. 49.9/32

The dews are low to mid 30s right now...what were you expecting today? Those aren't all that damaging. The stuff near and over 40F is what hurts.

ORH was 36-37..I thought today would stay under 32. If we hit 45 by morning and 50 dews all day tomorrow and tomorrow night..that's like a 10 -12 inch snow loss

Archived