• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Ians Birthday Blizzard Bomb Bonanza BECS Feb 9-11

Ji

Looking at the 00Z suite of the GFS and Euro Ops as well as their Ensemble means they are showing an east based block during this period. With the feature that moves through on Monday into Tuesday with the configuration of the blocking it allows it to escape. With this setup there is much that can go wrong for our area if you are looking for snow. I think what we may want to look for on future runs is if they start showing the block strengthening and becoming more west based. If we can get that, I think the Monday-Tuesday Feature becomes our 50/50 low and it's game on for a MEC for a good portion of the East Coast including pretty far south into the Carolinas.

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we need euro to trend to gfs, IMO GFS has been more accurate this winter then euro. but gods only knows with this winter

Really don't have an opinion between the two. With the limited maps available and 24 hour jumps with the Euro that I have access to it's hard to judge. I've considered paying for the full access but I'm a cheap SOB. Just ask my wife. :thumbsup:

Looking at the 500's on the 06Z GFS, it has northern energy diving right on the heels of our southern energy. If that northern energy is a little quicker or the southern a little slower we are basically pooched without a decent block and a 50/50.

The standard threading of the needle. Based on how this winter has gone I would prefer the northern vort to just disappear. It alone has messed up more storms than I care to count

The standard threading of the needle. Based on how this winter has gone I would prefer the northern vort to just disappear. It alone has messed up more storms than I care to count

Yeah but that would cause other problems in and of itself.

As much as it screwed us earlier this year blocking is what we need for high probability snow shots. We were just really unlucky in December. Nine times out of ten that kind of set up gives us a lot of snow.

I've been skeptical about this event since the get go. IMHO the Euro is leading the way, as I'm fairly sure it did with last week's Midwest blizzard but I can't be certain because I as well am averse to sifting through the Euro's 24 hour jumps. I wouldn't be surprised if this storm shifted either way because of the fact that it is a thread the needle situation once again.

But hey, TTN worked for us once this year on Jan 26th, maybe it can again. We do have that fresh arctic air in place but on that note it's a matter of whether that air is as potent as is being projected on the models. I don't know about the Euro but the GFS is showing a pretty good cold shot precluding the storm so we will have to see if that holds up, along with the track....

the problem with NINAs

recall 07/08 & 08/09 had the identical problem; it wasn't until the 3/1/09 storm that it was no longer an issue, but only because the NINA was just about gone

generally speaking, weak NINA s don't have that northern stream problem and is why its the only chance we have when it comes to NINAs

I really hadn't looked to hard at this storm until this morning. But as it shows on the 06Z GFS if we had some decent blocking and a 50/50 that northern energy gives us the potential for a blockbuster storm on the east coast.

From HPC:

WE INCORPORATED NEW DETERMINISTIC MODEL TRENDS INTO THE FINALGRAPHICS. A MAJOR SYS IS MORE LIKELY NOW ALONG THE GULF/SERN COASTTHE MIDDLE/END OF NEXT WEEK...THOUGH THE DETAILS ARE STILL OBSCURE6 AND 7 DAYS OUT. THE NEW ECMWF HAS TRENDED STRONGLY NWWD WITH AMAJOR STORM MOVING ACROSS THE SERN STATES THU DAY 7. AMIDST HIGH UNCERTAINTY...I WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED TO SEE SUBSEQUENT RUNS TREND EVEN FARTHER W WITH THIS STORM NEXT WEEK TOWARDS THE FAVORED LA NINA TRACK THRU THE OH VLY/WRN FOOTHILLS OFTHE APPALACHIANS.

Not making any predictions on this storm, but with no block, PNA neutral going negative, odds favor a more typical La Nina storm track. The perfect timing/ thread the needle thing could bring the eye candy storm the GFS is advertising, but the odds, well. Still worth watching for sure.

I hate to get into the middle, but this upcoming storm does not have a triple phase morphing in and won't be compared to March 1993.

Let me be clear. This is not the 1993 storm, but it looks like it may have a similar track. Just demonstrating how things CAN work out if we thread the needle on a storm like this with arctic air moving in from the west as the storm develops.

From HPC:

WE INCORPORATED NEW DETERMINISTIC MODEL TRENDS INTO THE FINALGRAPHICS. A MAJOR SYS IS MORE LIKELY NOW ALONG THE GULF/SERN COASTTHE MIDDLE/END OF NEXT WEEK...THOUGH THE DETAILS ARE STILL OBSCURE6 AND 7 DAYS OUT. THE NEW ECMWF HAS TRENDED STRONGLY NWWD WITH AMAJOR STORM MOVING ACROSS THE SERN STATES THU DAY 7. AMIDST HIGH UNCERTAINTY...I WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED TO SEE SUBSEQUENT RUNS TREND EVEN FARTHER W WITH THIS STORM NEXT WEEK TOWARDS THE FAVORED LA NINA TRACK THRU THE OH VLY/WRN FOOTHILLS OFTHE APPALACHIANS.

Not making any predictions on this storm, but with no block, PNA neutral going negative, odds favor a more typical La Nina storm track. The perfect timing/ thread the needle thing could bring the eye candy storm the GFS is advertising, but the odds, well. Still worth watching for sure.

I don't think anyone will disagree with you. It's like Charlie Brown felt... he KNEW that Lucy would pull the ball away and yet tried to kick it anyway. Most of us will hang on until the GFS craps the bed. But then again... what if it doesn't? popcorn.gif

From HPC:

Looks like the pros are on my side. Hope we're wrong.

From HPC:

yea that about sums it up, we just can't win

were the euro ensembles west or east of op run.

?

much colder 0c runs through ric bit we know it will head west over the next few days :(

Archived