• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Ians Birthday Blizzard Bomb Bonanza BECS Feb 9-11

Ji

I think the GFS implies there would be some 1-3" snows around from the upper level energy passage. Expecting a global model to pick up on dynamically driven precip from an H5 vort at this time range is a little much. The implication is there. IF the GFS is right about the H5 its probably a 1-3" snowfall around somewhere in our area.

sounds about right if it holds that look.. maybe a bit more if we're lucky.

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont see anything that keeps it from tracking further west. No high of any kind. Just saying.

if the motherlode is really coming in with it then it's going to have trouble going too far west. i feel like this same discussion was being had last week tho if not with such an intense look on the coast.

There is a strong arctic high plunging across the US that is basically keeping this thing progressing east instead of cutting too far west.

Really? All I see is a moderate HP off the coast at 144?

00zgfs500mbHGHTNA144.gif

I'm sorry thats not a great setup for a coastal hugger. Maybe up the coastal plain. Or an Apps runner.

Really? All I see is a moderate HP off the coast at 144?

I'm sorry thats not a great setup for a coastal hugger. Maybe up the coastal plain.

There is a strong high west of the storm that is pressing southeast. That is what is creating a nice pressure gradient for this storm to feed off of. True there is no High to the north of the storm. But the difference between a coastal hugger and a coastal plain storm at this range is as small a difference as 100 miles. Even coastal plain storms like March 1993 can pack quite a wallop depending on track and intensity. March 1993 tracked almost directly over dca if I recall correctly and DCA got 6 inches of snow/sleet/snow I believe.

There is a strong high west of the storm that is pressing southeast. That is what is creating a nice pressure gradient for this storm to feed off of. True there is no High to the north of the storm. But the difference between a coastal hugger and a coastal plain storm at this range is as small a difference as 100 miles. Even coastal plain storms like March 1993 can pack quite a wallop depending on track and intensity. March 1993 tracked almost directly over dca if I recall correctly and DCA got 6 inches of snow/sleet/snow I believe.

1028 off the coast of Maine. Big difference from Maine to the Delmarva.

Fronts-12Z-13Mar93.jpg

mos says DC area gets 3" of snow before changing to rain, about 5" in the NW areas like Leesburg to Frederick

:P The low tracks west of DC on the Euro.. yea they start as snow... but mostly rain. It'll change next run anyway.. wonder what the western extend this low can go.

Archived