Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Epic winter signal continues to beam, part VII

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Warning-do not jump after reading this-Warning

I got sick just reading this from Joe Joyce. Haters.

Signs

are starting to show the pattern shifting west, which will allow warmer air to

build in the south and Mid-atlantic…So there is a good probability we have seen

the worst of the winter…How could it get any worse? New England is never quite

out of the woods with our proximity close to Canada, there will likely be a

boundary of cold and warm close by us…so we will still be a battle ground for

periodic storms and mixes…

BUT…at

least there is a light at the end of the tunnel that this February will likely

take a turn for the better before the month is through. No pattern lasts

forever. This cold, snowy extreme pattern has run it’s course…but we still have

a bit more to go through before we get to the promised land!

:arrowhead: :arrowhead: :arrowhead:

I wouldn't shocked, but it looked like graupel. Both are related to convective processes, but graupel is heavily rimed snow. About 0.3" with this. It looks like pellet lime fertilizer everywhere.

Yeah thats a good way to describe it cool stuff good times, a fresh coating to spruce things up!

Well actually most people do live in HFD/ORH/BOS areas in SNE...the Cranberry Bog area near the coast in S PYM county has been a disappointing spot, but its quite minor relative to the rest of SNE which has been getting slammed.

Not that i don't love Will, but yesterday wasn't exactly peas in a pod. Today was by far better, even if it did underperform. Just gotta keep racking up the snow and hope we do get the 20+ one day...

Moosup, Greenwich, East Greenwich, Middletown, Suffield,Old Saybrook, Hartford ............

But considering this encompasses 3 of the major metros of SNE most do actually. Your area has been screwed and was just on the line as you have posted many times. Often a few miles away...big snow. NWS can't refine that exactly such that your by gets screwed and 5 miles NW doesn't.

I think you should move to...Tolland, Worcester, or Boston then.:whistle:

5....collective WOOOOSSSHHH right over your heads. Old joke, apparently less funny than I thought.

That snow depth map showing 5 inches IMBY is right on the money, For Newport on east along the South Coast, and especially the Islands and Outer Cpae....this truly has been a disaster if you like snow. I'm used to being on the low end, but every snowstorm this year I've gotten 5-9 inches less than areas 25-45 minutes away and this is rare...because the pattern has repeated itself with literally every event this winter. The only saving grace is that when it has snowed....it has been very wet and it's had a lot of staying power.

It has been terrible on the south coast particularly....not too bad here.

Messenger, where are you at snowfall total wise to your seasonal average? I am at ~170%. I average ~38" and am at 64.6" on the season. I'd suspect that I am at or above 200% relative to the calendar date.

It's got to be way above but I'm not a climo guy. We have had snow continuously on the ground - with a couple of days with some bare spots for about 45 days. Incredible for near the water in southeast MA. We started a week earlier than many in the densely populated megalopolis between Boston ORH and Hartford and although we are not getting the same totals, it's been good. We are somehow busting climo too, we usually flip very quickly like this morning but most of the time we've held on even without much of a high pressure.

We've got about 5-6" OTG now, it's incredibly dense. Trying to clear the decks today I was amazed at how much it weighed. I enjoy tracking and watching a storm, not so big on all the other stuff....

How much do you have there now Bob?

It's got to be way above but I'm not a climo guy. We have had snow continuously on the ground - with a couple of days with some bare spots for about 45 days. Incredible for near the water in southeast MA. We started a week earlier than many in the densely populated megalopolis between Boston ORH and Hartford and although we are not getting the same totals, it's been good. We are somehow busting climo too, we usually flip very quickly like this morning but most of the time we've held on even without much of a high pressure.

We've got about 5-6" OTG now, it's incredibly dense. Trying to clear the decks today I was amazed at how much it weighed. I enjoy tracking and watching a storm, not so big on all the other stuff....

How much do you have there now Bob?

You didn't lose it all at the beginning of Jan?

Cool!

Visibility dropped to <1/8 mile and heavy, heavy snow grains with that line that just came through. Heavily rimed, convective snow. Awesome, but short lived snow squall. Transitioning more to dendrites now, as the line pushes east. We will probably see some lingering post frontal/upslope snows for a couple of hours before ending. Very much like a summer squall line except it's winter. Good chance we'll get an inch or two here before it's all done. :thumbsup:

How much did you guys get on the water? I heard 9-10" storm total just away from the water.

I had us here in Scituate at 7.5 I am just about a quarter mile from the water. It was really a nice thump yesterday, we changed to pingers for the last hour or so but the damage had been done. It was a good thing we got what we got because today was just a mess I got in from plowing last night at around 2:30 and got some shut eye, but we must have gotten some snow at the onset of todays round 2 becasue most of the driveways had to be sweept out knowing temps were gona fall late in the day, but boy the rain just made for a mess today!

Interesting precipitation in Boston metro... what atmospheric conditions generate these...?

LOL, that's exactly what it was.

Graupel is formed in convective clouds. Convective cumulus clouds have tons of moisture in them. Sometimes snowflakes fall into a warm layer and partially melt or become heavily rimed in a layer that is around -5C or so. This is what gives it the hail appearance. It some ways, it forms in similar ways.

This storm had quite a bit of lightning to the east.

Archived