January 31-February 2 Historic Winter Storm part 9

MidwestChaser

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KLOT aviation update

.AVIATION...

//ORD AND MDW CONCERNS...UPDATED 04Z...

* HEAVY SNOW WITH 1/4SM OR LESS VSBY...CONTINUING DAYBREAK.

* WHITEOUT CONDITIONS WITH VSBY DROPPING TO 0SM AT TIMES

OVERNIGHT.

* NORTHEAST WINDS WITH GUSTS 50 KT POSSIBLE OVERNIGHT.

* HEAVIEST SNOWFALL RATES OF 2-3 IN/HR LIKELY BTWN 04-10Z.

* OCNL THUNDERSNOW WITH SNOWFALL RATES OF 3-4 IN/HR BTWN 04-06Z.

* DECREASING SNOW INTENSITY WED MORNING WITH VSBY LIKELY REMAINING

IFR/LIFR IN BLSN.

not sure if that 13 is the official observation....even though it says NWS....I have seen that ob and the data in the climate report different this year

True, and with the wind tonight I imagine it is going to be difficult to measure. I don't know if it was the same obs. that reported 10 inches at 8 pm. If so, 13 inches may not be out of the relam of possibility, especially with the TSSN btwn 8 and 9 pm.

Think 100mph = 87kt? Yeah might not be, although not sure because none of the stations around it have gusts near that.

The ob for OTM is carrying the 87 knot gust. It is an ASOS and I don't see a maintenance flag on it.

SPECI KOTM 020409Z AUTO 35029G87KT 1/4SM FZFG VV002 M09/M11 AO2 PKWND 02087/0407 PWINO FZRANO

Can't absolutely rule it out...but it does look strange. Took a look in the NWSChat room for DMX...they think it is suspicious.

True, and with the wind tonight I imagine it is going to be difficult to measure. I don't know if it was the same obs. that reported 10 inches at 8 pm. If so, 13 inches may not be out of the relam of possibility, especially with the TSSN btwn 8 and 9 pm.

another deformation zone band getting going along the iL river valley..increase of flake size here inthen past 5 minutes

Almost moderate snow now. Small flakes, but not sand/pixie dust. About 0.4" as of midnight.

0.6" here since 1030pm. Small powdery flakes, too. It got a bit intense for about ten minutes with heavier light snow and wind, now it's fairly calm out there right now with the odd flake. :whistle:

Just threw together a tray of nachos smothered in jalapenos. Usually when a storm is coming I make something awesome to eat.

Archived