joxey
January 31-February 2 Historic Winter Storm part 9

MidwestChaser

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Incredible live fire radio feed from Chicago:

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?feedId=115

Hundreds & hundreds of motorists are trapped in stalled vehicles & CTA buses on northbound Lake Shore Dr. from North Ave. north to about Belmont Ave. CFD Command Post is located at Fullerton & L.S.D. CFD Co's making rescues! (11:02 CST)

Incredible live fire radio feed from Chicago:

http://www.radiorefe...dio/?feedId=115

Hundreds & hundreds of motorists are trapped in stalled vehicles & CTA buses on northbound Lake Shore Dr. from North Ave. north to about Belmont Ave. CFD Command Post is located at Fullerton & L.S.D. CFD Co's making rescues! (11:02 CST)

Incredible to hear these reports from the City of Chicago. It's not like this is the middle of the country somewhere.

Yeah it's bizarre. Apparently it's been very electric in certain places, but not here either. It's been snowing very intensely, so I'm not sure why we haven't seen any lightning.

we've had a ton of lightning, but it's not half as awesome as the wind, shiz is loud. We're probably close to sustained tropical storm force for the past 4 hrs or so.

we've had a ton of lightning, but it's not half as awesome as the wind, shiz is loud. We're probably close to sustained tropical storm force for the past 4 hrs or so.

Man, that's crazy. We've had strong gusts, but nothing like that. Our highest gusts here have been around 45mph, but it happens quite frequently. I can live without the thunder and lightning if the intensity is convective like this. I'm estimating we have a foot or so, but it's pure estimation.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL  
1107 PM CST TUE FEB 01 2011     

.TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON     
.DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.                
..REMARKS..    

1100 PM     BLIZZARD         MANTENO                 41.25N 87.84W   
02/01/2011                   KANKAKEE           IL   TRAINED SPOTTER                 

ILLINOIS ROUTE 50 COMPLETELY IMPASSABLE IN BOTH  DIRECTIONS BETWEEN MANTENO AND PEOTONE. 
DRIFTS MEASURED BETWEEN 2 AND 4.5 FEET. AT LEAST 25 VEHICLES STRANDED...INCLUDING AN IDOT PLOW. 
A FRONT-END LOADER IS BEING UTILIZED TO RESCUE STRANDED MOTORISTS.    

Same in the downtown core. My final call for the Toronto area is 8-12", but more likely 8-10". Amounts could be higher in spots if we get thunder snow.

I'm keeping my call of 6-10" (which I revised down from 8-14" earlier today). Convection is going to be a key component. If we get lucky with it, we could see a upward spike in amounts.

Man, that's crazy. We've had strong gusts, but nothing like that. Our highest gusts here have been around 45mph, but it happens quite frequently. I can live without the thunder and lightning if the intensity is convective like this. I'm estimating we have a foot or so, but it's pure estimation.

I live off LSD, but there is a large park, then LSD, then another park and beach between me and the lake, so maybe 1/4 mile or so. The winds between my building and the neighboring hi-rise are intense, when i walked right down to the lakefront, it was hard to stand straight.

Has EC increased its forecast snowfall totals?

no, but I think they should. Judging from models, we could get 8-10" tomorrow. i have found that the Canadian weather outlets have been lagging in this storm.

Local Ottawa news calling for 6". Local Montreal news calling for 8-12" in both Ottawa and Montreal.

Archived