joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 31-February 2 Historic Winter Storm part 9

MidwestChaser

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is not what we need on top of an ice storm!

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILMINGTON OH

1211 AM EST WED FEB 2 2011

..STRONG WINDS TO AFFECT OHIO VALLEY TODAY

INZ050-058-059-066-073-074-OHZ026-034-035-042>046-051>056-060>062-

070-021315-

/O.EXA.KILN.WI.Y.0001.110202T0900Z-110202T2300Z/

WAYNE-FAYETTE IN-UNION IN-FRANKLIN IN-RIPLEY-DEARBORN-HARDIN-

MERCER-AUGLAIZE-DARKE-SHELBY-LOGAN-UNION OH-DELAWARE-MIAMI-

CHAMPAIGN-CLARK-MADISON-FRANKLIN OH-LICKING-PREBLE-MONTGOMERY-

GREENE-BUTLER-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...RICHMOND...CONNERSVILLE...LIBERTY...

BROOKVILLE...VERSAILLES...LAWRENCEBURG...KENTON...CELINA...

WAPAKONETA...GREENVILLE...SIDNEY...BELLEFONTAINE...MARYSVILLE...

DELAWARE...PIQUA...URBANA...SPRINGFIELD...LONDON...COLUMBUS...

NEWARK...EATON...DAYTON...XENIA...HAMILTON

1211 AM EST WED FEB 2 2011

...WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM EARLY THIS MORNING TO 6 PM

EST THIS EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN WILMINGTON HAS ISSUED A WIND

ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM EARLY THIS MORNING TO

6 PM EST THIS EVENING.

A STRONG LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL TRACK FROM INDIANAPOLIS TO

CLEVELAND EARLY THIS MORNING. AS ENERGY SHIFTS EASTWARD DURING

THE MORNING...A COLD FRONT WILL SWEEP ACROSS THE OHIO VALLEY.

ALONG WITH A VERY RAPID TEMPERATURE DROP...WINDS WILL GUST BETWEEN

45 AND 50 MPH. THESE GUSTS ARE EXPECTED TO BE AT THEIR STRONGEST

FROM THE MORNING HOURS THROUGH THE EARLY AFTERNOON. SUSTAINED

WINDS WILL BE ON THE ORDER OF 20 TO 30 MPH FOR MUCH OF THE DAY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WIND ADVISORY IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS ARE FORECAST TO BE

31 TO 39 MPH OR GUSTS WILL RANGE BETWEEN 46 AND 57 MPH. WINDS OF

THESE MAGNITUDES MAY CAUSE MINOR PROPERTY DAMAGE WITHOUT EXTRA

PRECAUTIONS. MOTORISTS IN HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES SHOULD USE

CAUTION UNTIL THE WINDS SUBSIDE.

When you guys have reported winds and gusts tonight, do you have anemometers, or are you just estimating the wind speeds? I can use any reports measured with anemometers for LSRs. By the way, hands down the craziest storm I've ever experienced and I was working at WFO NYC last winter during most of the storms there.

Light freezing rain here now. Perhaps, just perhaps, we're done with the sleet.

Ive got about 4 inches of sleet on the ground and have been getting ZR for about 2 hours now. The trees are def. crackling and my powers flickered a few times. My temp is trying to make a last second gasp to get to 32. Im at 31 now. The low should pass by in the next hour or 2 and temps will crash again. Winds died down with the low overhead, but I assume they will be rocking come early morning. Maybe some power issues then. The sleet saved our asses down here.

Still ripping with heavy snow and 25+dBZ returns. The insane snow rates from an hour or so ago are gone, but I'm sure this is still near 1"/hr rates.

I'm a bit surprised at the relative low amounts being reported to DVN so far. We have to be over a foot or so here, but I don't see anyone in this immediate area even close to that yet.

Ive got about 4 inches of sleet on the ground and have been getting ZR for about 2 hours now. The trees are def. crackling and my powers flickered a few times. My temp is trying to make a last second gasp to get to 32. Im at 31 now. The low should pass by in the next hour or 2 and temps will crash again. Winds died down with the low overhead, but I assume they will be rocking come early morning. Maybe some power issues then. The sleet saved our asses down here.

Quoted for truth.

The sleet storm was pretty epic, I can say it is the first time I have ever seen accumulated sleet like that.

Still ripping with heavy snow and 25+dBZ returns. The insane snow rates from an hour or so ago are gone, but I'm sure this is still near 1"/hr rates.

I'm a bit surprised at the relative low amounts being reported to DVN so far. We have to be over a foot or so here, but I don't see anyone in this immediate area even close to that yet.

I seriously think that the wind is going result in lower totals and thus no record snowfall for our area. The duration was a factor too, you really need a 24 hour long snow to get record totals. Though when you think about it snow began around 1 or 2 PM and pretty much went 1"/hr for 12 hours.

measuring is just so difficult right now, in fact i can't think of a single way to do it accurately with the winds we've seen, i have plain grass right out side along with 6+ ft drifts, how do you average that? You'd almost be better off estimating based on returns.

Quoted for truth.

The sleet storm was pretty epic, I can say it is the first time I have ever seen accumulated sleet like that.

Im still a bit worried when the winds pick up in the next few hours we may have more outages. My power has flickerd the last few hours with a calm wind. And were still picking up a light ZR. Hopefully we can get a few inches of fluff to top this mess off in the morning!

I seriously think that the wind is going result in lower totals and thus no record snowfall for our area. The duration was a factor too, you really need a 24 hour long snow to get record totals. Though when you think about it snow began around 1 or 2 PM and pretty much went 1"/hr for 12 hours.

if i sacrifice all time snow totals for these winds, it was worth it.

measuring is just so difficult right now, in fact i can't think of a single way to do it accurately with the winds we've seen, i have plain grass right out side along with 6+ ft drifts, how do you average that? You'd almost be better off estimating based on returns.

Yeah that's the only downside to a storm like this. More than worth it though IMO.

Archived