• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 31-February 2 Historic Winter Storm part 9

MidwestChaser

Somebody here near Madison thinks we've had 8.8 inches so far but God only knows why he thinks that! Winds are 32 mph w/ gusts just over 40 mph. Based on when it started to snow, our rates are about an inch per hour, I think. Visibility is probably around two hundred feet and pieces siding from neighboring buildings are kind of skipping across the park. Very impressive. Oh yeah, and campus is closed so I don't have to teach tomorrow!

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow!

Here in Canton, MI, we just had 30-35 dbz blob (not even a band :( ) come through. It was very short-lived but intense... total white-outs for very brief periods... saw a blue flash in the sky... might've been lightning, but not sure. Wind was gusting hard enough to shake the glass window.

EDIT: 30-35, not 35-40

Yeah I dropped to 1/8SM at metro for a while and had a gust to 35KT and was on the edge of 49dbz.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL

940 PM CST TUE FEB 1 2011 /1040 PM EST TUE FEB 1 2011/

...PEAK WIND GUSTS THROUGH ABOUT 9 PM...

CHICAGO LAKEFRONT 67

CHICAGO OHARE 61

WAUKEGAN HARBOR 61

AURORA 59

ROMEOVILLE 59

CHICAGO MIDWAY 58

PONTIAC 58

BURNS HARBOR 54

WEST CHICAGO 54

LASALLE/PERU 53

WAUKEGAN 53

JOLIET 52

DEKALB 52

CALUMET 49

KANKAKEE 49

WHEELING 49

ROCKFORD 48

LANSING 47

ROCHELLE 44

STERLING 39

WIC043-021100-

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

CIVIL EMERGENCY MESSAGE

WISCONSIN EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY LA CROSSE WISCONSIN

RELAYED BY NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LA CROSSE WI

947 PM CST TUE FEB 1 2011

THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS TRANSMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF THE

GRANT COUNTY WISCONSIN EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY.

COUNTY OFFICIALS ARE REQUESTING THAT RESIDENTS STAY AT THEIR

CURRENT LOCATION. MOST ROADS ARE CLOSED AND IMPASSABLE DUE TO SNOW

DRIFTING AND VISIBILITY IS POOR. SNOW PLOW CREWS HAVE BEEN PULLED IN

UNTIL TOMORROW MORNING...SO ROAD CONDITIONS WILL NOT IMPROVE.

THERE ARE SEVERAL STRANDED MOTORISTS...AND LAW ENFORCEMENT

OFFICIALS ARE HAVING DIFFICULTY GETTING TO THOSE PERSONS TO ASSIST.

TRAVEL IS NOT ADVISED.

Looks like Peoria is nearing the end in the next 3-4 hrs. wouldn't expect much more than another 3-4 inches max unless we get this thing to swing around but its looking like it will track east and north too fast. I've got around 9 in here so far I think but haven't made any real measurements, just eyeballin it.

NWS had 13.0 inches as of 10 pm. I am close to the NW side of town and it is still coming down heavily. It keeps looking like the back edge near Carlinville keeps backfilling. According to TWC, STL just picked up an inch of snow in the last hour, so there seems to be some rather heavy energy back to the SW. All the local TV stations at 10pm had the snow going through at least 6 am, WEEK was calling for an additional 4 to 6 tonight still. Lets hope for at least another 5 to break the 18 inch record! :)

Our local news showed a wind graphic that had Ottumwa at 100 MPH...I thought it was a typo error...maybe not?

The ASOSs are pretty notorious for having bogus triple digit wind gusts in this kind of weather. Looks like mostly gusts in the mid 40s, then the recent 100 mph, so doesn't really make a lot of sense.

NWS had 13.0 inches as of 10 pm. I am close to the NW side of town and it is still coming down heavily. It keeps looking like the back edge near Carlinville keeps backfilling. According to TWC, STL just picked up an inch of snow in the last hour, so there seems to be some rather heavy energy back to the SW. All the local TV stations at 10pm had the snow going through at least 6 am, WEEK was calling for an additional 4 to 6 tonight still. Lets hope for at least another 5 to break the 18 inch record! :)

not sure if that 13 is the official observation....even though it says NWS....I have seen that ob and the data in the climate report different this year

Archived