Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 31-February 2 Historic Winter Storm part 9

MidwestChaser

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NWS in Quad Cities has observed .31 inches of liquid from this storm...sure doesn't sound right....at a 15:1 ratio gives 4.65 inches....we have much more than that...this would be a thud of a storm if they go with those figures.

Well they are only doing observations every 6 hours up there, so that doesn't include anything since 6 PM. If you are grabbing that off the METAR reports from the ASOS, I can almost 100% guarantee it will under report because of the wind. No matter what though I think the WFO will struggle to measure an accurate amount for this storm. We sit on a flat plateau (relatively speaking ;)) and have really bad scour problems. Moline tends to do better because our COOP observer sits in a valley.

Right now it might be the most intense snowfall I've ever seen. Visibility is a few hundred feet tops. The street lights on the next street over are now completely dimmed away to where you can't see them.

Took some video myself a little while ago, but it won't be as impressive as some of you guys. Video just doesn't do it justice. Uploading to youtube now.

Well they are only doing observations every 6 hours up there, so that doesn't include anything since 6 PM. If you are grabbing that off the METAR reports from the ASOS, I can almost 100% guarantee it will under report because of the wind. No matter what though I think the WFO will struggle to measure an accurate amount for this storm. We sit on a flat plateau (relatively speaking ;)) and have really bad scour problems. Moline tends to do better because our COOP observer sits in a valley.

I pulled them from the observations at Moline each hour...no one hour greater than .06 inches (which would get close to an inch of snow)...here is the link

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KMLI.html

I pulled them from the observations at Moline each hour...no one hour greater than .06 inches (which would get close to an inch of snow)...here is the link

http://www.crh.noaa....story/KMLI.html

I would not worry about those numbers, the climate will be close to reality. Our COOP observer had nearly that much through 6 PM.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE QUAD CITIES IA IL

913 PM CST TUE FEB 01 2011

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.

..REMARKS..

0912 PM SNOW LOWDEN 41.86N 90.92W

02/01/2011 M12.0 INCH CEDAR IA CO-OP OBSERVER

STORM TOTAL SO FAR. 8 INCHES SINCE 5 PM. THUNDERSNOW

OBSERVED AT 830 PM.

A great example of how this wind driven event is making it hard to measure the snow...the majority of the snow is always in the air...check out this live weather stick...been snowing here since about 9 hours...at 1 inch per hour....here is the live "weather stick" a tv station is using...

http://www.wqad.com/weather/snowstick/ less than 2 inches on the ground.

I should have waited a little longer to shoot video lol. If this isn't 3"/hr rates I don't know what is. This is a force of winter weather I've never seen anything come close to. The intensity of this snow is putting the '99 storm to shame.

I'm from back east and this easily rivals anything I've ever witnessed. Though my hometown was notoriously on the wrong side of the rain/snow line. It just keeps pouring snow here and I think it's been forever, but it's only been 4 hours since the last measurement and what looks like 8 inches new snow since then.

Archived