wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
New England Snow Totals To Date

Kevin W

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having grown up just north of ktan...95-96 smoked this yr but in smaller chunks.

Yeah, we had double the snow in 1995-1996. 120-130" throughout N Bristol/PYM

2004-2005 destroyed this winter too in that area, no contest

PSF has reported 100.5" for the winter so far, but have very little faith in their measurements since they under-measured several events early in the season including the upslope event on 12/6-7 (reported about 4", actual 9") and the Boxing Day storm (reported about 12", actual 16.5"). In addition, the 1/2 to 1 inch type upslope/lake effect deals are seldom measured and reported. I'd put the PSF total around 110" or 115".

Quite the gradient between BOX and about 15 miles due south. BOX always manages to eek out decent snow up in the NW part of the city.

Actually, Bob has about 2" more on the SE end of the city than we do. I think it was one event that we got snow down there (I live about 2 miles W of Bob), but didn't make it up to the office.

Yeah, we do tend to get a little more snow here than elsewhere. We're right near the border to Norton (literally across the street). The co-op observer for Norton works here (in the NERFC), and we are pretty close to his snow numbers.

--Turtle ;)

Well it looks like near the coast, the Pike is roughly the 80 inch line and the NH border is the 100?

In general, but Dom has 78" in Nashua and Wills at 98.3"in Worcester. Will's map should be really interesting this year. Widespread high totals.

Of course, I know he's not going to start until late April in case we get another spring snow. wink.gif

Actually, Bob has about 2" more on the SE end of the city than we do. I think it was one event that we got snow down there (I live about 2 miles W of Bob), but didn't make it up to the office.

Yeah, we do tend to get a little more snow here than elsewhere. We're right near the border to Norton (literally across the street). The co-op observer for Norton works here (in the NERFC), and we are pretty close to his snow numbers.

--Turtle ;)

I went to school at Coyle & Cassidy HS...right down Bay St. There were a few events where that part of Taunton, near the green..didn't do so hot, but you go up to Easton..right up Bay St, and they got maybe 6". I used to take a drive to see where the differences started, and it seemed right around where Bay St crosses 495. That seemed to be the line on a few storms..close to the climo spot where the coastal fronts sometimes hang out. Anyways, there can be a big difference from the nw side of the city where BOX is as compared to the part that borders Dighton or Lakeville.

I went to school at Coyle & Cassidy HS...right down Bay St. There were a few events where that part of Taunton, near the green..didn't do so hot, but you go up to Easton..right up Bay St, and they got maybe 6". I used to take a drive to see where the differences started, and it seemed right around where Bay St crosses 495. That seemed to be the line on a few storms..close to the climo spot where the coastal fronts sometimes hang out. Anyways, there can be a big difference from the nw side of the city where BOX is as compared to the part that borders Dighton or Lakeville.

We've got 14+ years of records here at KBOX now, and I have always wanted to do a microclimate study between KBOX and KTAN. I have seen this, even with the snow records between KBOX and ETauntonMA (Bob). I also see a trend with the temps as well. And YES, we are in a great spot, the 495 interchange from Bay Street. Interesting stuff.

--Turtle ;)

We've got 14+ years of records here at KBOX now, and I have always wanted to do a microclimate study between KBOX and KTAN. I have seen this, even with the snow records between KBOX and ETauntonMA (Bob). I also see a trend with the temps as well. And YES, we are in a great spot, the 495 interchange from Bay Street. Interesting stuff.

--Turtle ;)

No denying the difference in climo between the 2. TAN radiates far better due to the surround geography but I do not do as well in the snow dept. I think there are a couple things that I can see that attribute to the lower snow climo. Buzzards and Narragansett Bays.

No denying the difference in climo between the 2. TAN radiates far better due to the surround geography but I do not do as well in the snow dept. I think there are a couple things that I can see that attribute to the lower snow climo. Buzzards and Narragansett Bays.

I think if you fill in those bays with land, the difference is negligible. If anything, the biggest difference would be for summertime convection. Tracks of low pressure is what's more detrimental, and those bays really don't influence that.

Cool list..can you change my location to Watertown though?

done.

I will be saving this as an archive and will do this again next year. Barring a May 1977, it would be cool if everyone who has not done so, update their total. I'm glad a lot of you figured out how to do it on your own and I don't mind doing it for others as I see them in posts and sigs. (for those already on the list)

done.

I will be saving this as an archive and will do this again next year. Barring a May 1977, it would be cool if everyone who has not done so, update their total. I'm glad a lot of you figured out how to do it on your own and I don't mind doing it for others as I see them in posts and sigs. (for those already on the list)

Thanks for doing this. This could help ORHWXdude in May.

I've been happy to update this when we got snows...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived