• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

Urge caution on this -- in more ways than one. Caution No. 1 -- be ready for a terrible ice storm with this system. Caution 2: Also be ready for a big bust. It's important to note that neither the GFS nor the NAM at 12z actually show much winter precip for places like GSP/CLT, et al. For the NAM, Charlotte gets to -.5C for 3 hours but is basically at or above freezing the entire time with super warm upper level temps. Shelby only gets to -.1C for three hours. Haven't seen GFS soundings yet, but surface maps aren't impressive at 2m. Yes, the CAD could be underdone and I've certainly seen many times when that was the case. But I've also seen CAD OVERdone -- not as often, but it happens. This storm is a monster and will confound the models and the experts in some way -- we just don't know how. So, enjoy the ride, but be ready for anything!

Spoken like a true former member of the hwy 74 bust crew ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something to watch on each operational and ensembles is where the low transfers to the coast and how far up into TN the primary low goes. If we have a more southern transfer, with additional CAD (assuming the models haven't figured out the strength of the CAD and the HP continues to trend stronger) then it could be higher totals for at least RDU west in NC. If there is a transfer over GA to SC, and the low bombs off the coast then we have a chance. If the transfer is over TN to NC (see 06z GFS) 

GEFS seems to favor a more northern transfer, EPS seems to favor a southern transfer. If you live in NC, you want the EPS to be right.

Good post Jon...The 0z euro para was one of the best runs for our area.  We did switch to rn for a few hours but not as bad as some of the other ops.

12z NAVGEM holds serve with an early transfer to the coast. It obliterates North Carolina again as the 5h low wobbles east and never really climbs the coast. NYC is completely shut out on this run.

Edit: In 6 hours, the lowest surface pressure transfers from around Huntsville, AL to Savannah, GA. The new coastal low then bombs out and slowly rides up the coast.

I think we're going to see one more southward shift on the transfer.. noticing the base of the trough has been trending deeper, that'll make the sfc low transfer occur farther south.

May also allow the ULL to cutoff moreso and farther south.  If that's the case, it's going to be a massive WNC storm.

I think we're going to see one more southward shift on the transfer.. noticing the base of the trough has been trending deeper, that'll make the sfc low transfer occur farther south.

May also allow the ULL to cutoff moreso and farther south.

Does this raise the chances for snow in central NC?

Archived