wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Significant Ocean Storm March 6-8 2013 Discussion Part III

earthlight

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah. But if you do it through hour 48, it's not too different then the gfs. The difference comes after hour 48.

Ukmet to hour 48:

560216e0ad56b96fc57f4824d003abf8.jpg

Ukmet total precip through hour 72:

080eddc0de195e0c2ff64ad58b163329.jpg

That isn't bad, and that's from the progressive model. GFS looking increasingly like it's out to lunch. Looking forward to the Euro to hopefully make a north bump.

mount holly as of 917 pm

NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM WEDNESDAY MORNING/...HOPING A RESEARCH PROJECT COMES OF THIS EVENT AS THERE ARE SOMANY CONFLICTING SIGNALS STILL IN OUR CWA WE DONT KNOW WHERE TOSTART. CAN UNDERSTAND WHY SPRING EQUATIONS ARE CAUSING PROBLEMSWITH MOS GUIDANCE, BUT THE MODELS KEEPING SFC TEMPS WELL ABOVEFREEZING INTO EARLY WED EVENING EXCEPT FOR THE WRF-NMMB WHICHDYNAMIC COOLS TO NEAR FREEZING.WELL AS FOR PCPN VERIFICATION THROUGH 00Z. ALL OF THE MODELS HAD AGOOD HANDLE ON THE AREA PF EXCELLENT MID LEVEL QVEC CONVERGENCEEMANATING FROM THE SFC LOW INTO IL. SINCE MOST OF THIS FELL ASSNOW HARD TO SAY IF THEY WERE WET OR DRY, BUT THE PLACEMENT WASGOOD. WHERE IT WAS RAIN FARTHER TO THE SOUTH, THE CAN GGEM SEEMEDTO VERIFY THE BEST. A BUNCH OF MODELS WERE TOO WET IN SC AND GA,DON`T KNOW IF THIS WAS JUST BEING TOO FAST WITH DEVELOPINGCONVECTION AS THE FRONT IS NOT SLOW AND THERE IS CONVECTION NOW.THE MODELS ARE SLIGHTLY TOO SLOW WITH THE BACK EDGE, WRF-NMMB MOSTGUILTY PARTY. AS FOR THE SFC LOW ITSELF, THE 18Z WRF-NMMB VERIFIEDTHE BEST. ALSO GOOD WITH BAGGINESS OVER WRN NC. ECMWF 2ND BEST,CORRECT LATITUDE, JUST SLIGHTLY SLOW, NOTHING NEW THERE. 00Z RUCNOT GOOD, SFC LOW IS NOT IN OH YET AS 01Z. CAN SEE A CIRCULATIONFORMING AROUND CLT AT 02Z. RAIN/SNOW LINE OUTSIDE OF THE MOUNTAINSWAS AROUND 1295M 1000-850MB NAM THICKNESS.AT 925MB IN THE LOCAL AREA ALL OF THE MODELS WERE TOO COLD, THEWRF-NMMB 6HR FCST AMONG THE COLDEST SOMETIMES BY 2 OR 3C. GFS BESTOVERALL. BOTH BWI AND PHL ACAR FREEZING LEVEL IS CURRENTLY 2500FEET. THIS MAY ALL BE A MOOT POINT AS THERE IS PLENTY OF DRY AIRBETWEEN 925MB AND SFC ON THE 00Z SOUNDINGS. IF ANYTHING, THEMODELS TOO MOIST TOO FAST AT IAD LOOK GOOD AT WAL. AT 850MBCONVERSELY THE MODELS ARE TOO WARM BY AROUND A DEGREE OR SO, THEECMWF OVERALL THE BEST. AT 500MB THERE IS MORE RIDGING OVER THECAROLINAS AND THE CLOSED LOW LOOKS TO BE DIGGING MORE. THE BNAHEIGHT AND TEMPERATURE FORECASTS ARE LAGGING BEHIND.THE LATEST SREF EMPHASIZING TWO AREAS AS BEST POTENTIAL FOR HEAVY(WARNING CRITERIA) SNOW. ONE WHERE CURRENT WARNING IS IN EFFECT,THE SECOND MAX MAY BE IN OCEAN AND MONMOUTH. SREF QPF ISAPPROXIMATELY 50 TO 75 PCT OF OPERATIONAL 18Z WRF-NMMB.WOULD THINK THE 500MB FCST SHORTFALLS WOULD RESULT IN A SHARPERTURN WITH THE 00Z MODEL RUN. AS FOR CHANGES WITH THIS SHORT TERM,BASED ON THE PREV RUC AND HRRR, WE ADDED SOME MORE SNOW TO OUREASTERN SHORE OVERNIGHT. THE TOP DOWN PROCEDURE WE DID WITH THEPREVIOUS UPDATE WAS ALL RAIN. LOOKS LIKE A SHOT OF SNOW FOR MAYBEAN HOUR OR SO WHEN INTENSITY INCREASES LATER. ANY ADJUSTMENTS TOTEMPERATURES WERE BASED ON CURRENT OBS. ITS COLDER TOWARD THECOAST CURRENTLY THAN INLAND. WOULD THINK ONCE THE WINDS START ANDCLOUDS ARRIVE, THEY WILL BUMP UP.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=PHI&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=on

A guy on the Rutgers Football board where I'm very active posted a priceless pic of 9 TV screen shots, showing the huge variability in snowfall predictions.  Here's a link - hope it works. 

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/883410_10152672876245122_35586494_o.jpg

In addition, here's a link to the thread, if you want to see what a bunch of sports fans think (a few of us who post there, post here, and link to here, so they're fascinated with "winter weather weenies") and I'm also reproducing my last post there, in case anyone cares to see what I say on that board: here, I'm just another interested observer with some occasional insights given my advanced degrees in chem eng'g, which shares a lot of fundamental science with meteorology, while there, I'm one of the more knowledgable folks with regard to meteorology, so I often post on what I think will happen (based on what I learn here, at the NWS and from a few other select pros I follow closely - and I always cite sources, as I don't make forecasts, per se), as it affects RU football weather and major weather events, since people are interested.  Hope you find it interesting. 

"Craig Allen called this one of the toughest forecasts he's ever seen and DT, earlier today, essentially hung his head in shame for busting so badly, especially on the low tracking much further to the north than he forecast - based on the Euro, which for the past few days has been well south of the rest of the models, but is almost certainly going to be wrong, now.  But at least I give him credit for admitting it and doing a really informative mea culpa.  Links to both, below. 

Usually I try to do an in depth post on what I think is going to happen, based on my analysis of what the NWS and some of the best pros are saying, combined with some local knowledge, but I'm simply stumped on this one.  I was half joking last night when I said you can't really say we might get 2-14", but that's where we are essentially 18 hours before the fun starts, which is almost unprecedented. 

The only bankable thing is the the high winds and minor to moderate coastal flooding and the fact that we'll have moderate to heavy precip.  But what type and where (and when, with what looks to be a 2-part storm on Weds into Thursday and then Thurs into Friday, especially for NYC metro on eastward) and how much snow might accumulate is really a guess at this point - which is why the middle of the road NWS Phlly/NYC calls for 2-4/3-6", depending on where you are in NJ/Eastern PA/NYC Metro/Hudson Valley/LI, is not a bad call at all.  If we get a lot more they can always adjust upwards, but if we get a lot less or just an inch or two of slop, they don't look nearly as bad as folks predicting 8-12", mostly based on the NAM. 

Glad I'm not getting paid to make this forecast, as I'd be very afraid of getting fired, lol."

http://rutgers.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?SID=988&fid=642&style=2&tid=163055127&Page=4

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=tn_tnmn#!/notes/wxriskcom/last-call-forecast-and-why-i-busted-in-central-va/496145377099392

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Craig-Allen-On-Air-Inc/230609267719

Archived