SnowHabit
NNE Late Winter - Maple Sugaring and Soft Snow

mreaves

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could be worse...

March 24th 1875 -16

Not quite that drastic or late-season but more recent - PWM had -10 on 3/19/67. I had -3 at my NNJ home that morning, after failing to reach 15 the previous afternoon, which was somewhat like yesterday - windy and high about 30F below avg. My aft high yesterday was 12, my avg high for 3/22 is 41. Of course, the 29F at 9 Saturday evening spoils it.

I rarely b**ch about the weather and if it was merely cold I wouldn't complain but the freaking wind has been horrendous. At noon on March 13rd it is 10°/-7° with the wind 17, gusting 29. It seems like the wind has been pretty bad this year. I don't think I could live in an area like the Plains where the wind is a constant. I'd be like those settlers living in a sod hut driven mad by the constant wind.

I rarely b**ch about the weather and if it was merely cold I wouldn't complain but the freaking wind has been horrendous. At noon on March 13rd it is 10°/-7° with the wind 17, gusting 29. It seems like the wind has been pretty bad this year. I don't think I could live in an area like the Plains where the wind is a constant. I'd be like those settlers living in a sod hut driven mad by the constant wind

my bedroom windows face north...i wholeheartedly agree this wind is absolutely atrocious...my windows are drafty, and the temp in my room plummets when i close the door and the heat from the rest of the house is cut off...i've woken up shivering many times and had to put on a fleece and wool socks just to go back to bed...

love it, deep winter and great skiing. Could not ask for more

I am ready to move on.  The longer it stays like this, the further golf season is pushed back.  The earliest I am out on the course will probably be the 4th week of April, which isn't too late.  Hopefully when the switch gets flipped to warm, we go big like you have suggested. 

I am ready to move on. The longer it stays like this, the further golf season is pushed back. The earliest I am out on the course will probably be the 4th week of April, which isn't too late. Hopefully when the switch gets flipped to warm, we go big like you have suggested.

usually when it flips it flips hard

I am ready to move on.  The longer it stays like this, the further golf season is pushed back.  The earliest I am out on the course will probably be the 4th week of April, which isn't too late.  Hopefully when the switch gets flipped to warm, we go big like you have suggested. 

Yea, this cold, dry winter-after life of a purgatory blows, and blows hard.

I've never watched the same stale, granular fossilzed snow pack/banks decay in pure and utter meteorological squalor for such a protracted period.

Heinous.

Yea, this cold, dry winter-after life of a purgatory blows, and blows hard.

I've never watched the same stale, granular fossilzed snow pack/banks decay in pure and utter meteorological squalor for such a protracted period.

Heinous.

our snowbanks are going to be gone before the pack. They've been full of dirty sand/exhaust crap for so long that they melt a lot more rapidly than the relatively pristine pack.

37F with blasting  mid September sun.   With my south facing sunny slope the first day I see a patch of open grass will be a day to celebrate.  On my drive home from Florida on Saturday the forsythia were opening  up to the Virginia line.  That is the real first day of spring for me as once the forsythia open everything follows within a week later.

Archived