• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter Thread II

dryslot

ADK is getting dumped on. I'd wager the high peaks will get 30 or so above 3000 ft (which isn't that high over there).

Really interesting storm otherwise. Stowe is def. getting a little shadowed. It was dumping in BTV (and still is) WOOF. All the way thru the pass on 89. Then it started changing to a lighter snow. Stowe's 6 was about right. It was a wetter more solid 6. Temps were about 27. In richmond there was 8-10 on the ground and it was 22-24F. In BTV there is 10-11 and it's 24-25F.

Keene Valley is reporting 16 already with 1" hr snowfall rates.

The tricky part is going to be what happens when the winds start to rotate around to the N. Per the hig res BTVWRF we're looking at temps falling to -12 to -16C at 850 and about .5 inches of moisture. That could result in a really nice 8inches of champlain powder along the spine.

Thanks a lot for the detailed update adk. I just did an 11:00 A.M. check on the snowboard; there’s 5.4” on there since the 6:00 A.M clearing, so that’s a bit over 1”/hr average for this morning. Current storm total here is 10.2”. One interesting thing to note is that this is 1”/hr snow, but these aren’t upslope-style flakes – they’re very small here, generally 1-2 mm in diameter, with a few up to 5 mm. So that’s some serious moisture coming down. The noontime stack should have a decent shot of water in it with all these small flakes.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tiny flakes and 8-9:1 ratio continues. 4.0" new at 11 AM, with -SN and 24F, now ramping up to moderate, and the winds continue to blow it around. The 2" I just swept off the stairs was dry but took more push than such a modest depth usually would. Unless we see some bigger flakes/aggregates, it will be tough to reach 10" here. However, there's 11" now at the stake, and any time I see over a foot OG in December it's a good thing.

Act III of this storm- the upslope part is going to be very interesting.

For basebuilding snow this event is perfect. With cold temps following for a few days this snowpack will lock in nicely.

For faceshots however this just isn't the stuff. Gotta get colder for those big fluffy dendrites to appear.

Looking closely at the 7 to 7am timeframe along the spine.

Little capping inversion popping up later this evening that might inhibit orographic ascent...or confine it to the western slopes...

What is going on. Big bust so far. Perhaps 3". Very light snow vis 4 miles, sun very visable!. 29F. Lots of blowing and we have had light snow most of the morning but nothing heavy at all. Big snow hole in my area!

well no sun here but about 3.5 or 3.75 otg. We are the screw zone. doesn't look to eager to fill in either...

What is going on. Big bust so far. Perhaps 3". Very light snow vis 4 miles, sun very visable!. 29F. Lots of blowing and we have had light snow most of the morning but nothing heavy at all. Big snow hole in my area!

dynamics for us = fail

downslope = fail

ratios = fail

Everything that can go wrong has. But at least it is snowing and we will keep the wintry look for awhile. Maybe we can score a few inches on Sunday.

Event totals: 10.5” Snow/0.77” L.E.

The snowfall rate slowed down from the 1”/hr pace toward the end of this last collection period, but it has since picked back up. Flake size remains generally small (1-3 mm diameters) with occasional bouts of larger flakes up to the 10-12 mm range.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 5.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.40 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 14.3

Snow Density: 7.0% H2O

Temperature: 26.2 F

Sky: Moderate Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 14.0 inches

As far as I can tell, its 11.5" and still snowing at home in Stowe Village. I just found 13" at 1,500ft snow board.

Heavy wind transport no? With that east wind some stuff had to end up in strange places. Wind should start to shift around to the N/NW pretty shortly here.

That's going to be the next interesting time frame.

Archived