joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread II

dryslot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heavy wind transport no? With that east wind some stuff had to end up in strange places. Wind should start to shift around to the N/NW pretty shortly here.

That's going to be the next interesting time frame.

Yeah odd to have the wind coming right up the Front Four out of the ENE.

Anyway, here's the 1,500ft snow board at 3:30pm...

Cleared board twice. Nice event for randolphn@1420'. We were just west enuf to get the solid waa snows overnite and then a pasting today. In a nice weenie spot wrt radar returns mid afternoon. 13.4 inches @ 430 and still snowing nice dentries quite well. Had 6.75 at 8am then 5.5 new at 230 clearing. And 1.2 from 230 to 430. All of this on top of 2 inches of thick crust. So in summary 13.4 NEW in randolph (vtc) @1420' as of 430 pm. Snownhas just waned in last 10 mins

Sorry for another post. Looks like 14" as we tapered to flurries. This closely matches nearby NWS obs.

Post away man! This is why we are here... for snowstorms.

I really enjoyed this one. Been a while since we had a widespread double digit snowfall for the bulk of the state, aside from the NEK (unfortunately)...but they could still catch up overnight on NW flow snow showers.

The dog absolutely loves the snow, lol. Not sure who is more excited, her or her owner.

Yard looks like mid-winter all the sudden.

I really enjoyed this one. Been a while since we had a widespread double digit snowfall for the bulk of the state, aside from the NEK (unfortunately)...but they could still catch up overnight on NW flow snow showers.

The dog absolutely loves the snow, lol. Not sure who is more excited, her or her owner.

Great pics! Once I get a few spare minutes I will edit and upload video from my good camera at the approximate times of heaviest rates.

Event totals: 15.0” Snow/1.11” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 4.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.34 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 13.2

Snow Density: 7.6% H2O

Temperature: 24.2 F

Sky: Moderate Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 17.0 inches

Shouldn't event 16 say 12/27?

Shouldn't event 16 say 12/27?

Good observation eyewall – I go with the “start” date for each event in the signature list (many are multi-day snowfall events), and this one gets a 12/26 because I caught the start of the snow and it happened to be at 11:39 P.M. yesterday evening. If I hadn’t known when it started though, it probably would have gone down as 12/27 since that was when I made the first set of observations.

Wonder if JSpin went up to Bolton. With that east wind they might have loaded in with a ton of snow.

Headed up this afternoon for some runs - indeed it was interesting having the funky wind direction - I'd say I actually noticed it most in the lack of wind scouring in many spots. I'll send along an update in a bit.

Good observation eyewall – I go with the “start” date for each event in the signature list (many are multi-day snowfall events), and this one gets a 12/26 because I caught the start of the snow and it happened to be at 11:39 P.M. yesterday evening. If I hadn’t known when it started though, it probably would have gone down as 12/27 since that was when I made the first set of observations.

That makes sense. I hope you are able to get out there and enjoy it.

Just in time for my arrival and looks like light snow is possible for the next week..perfect timing

JSpin literally inching me out. I had 14". Unfortunately that was measured on a previously shoveled deck instead of the table I have set up as a measuring board. 8 year old boys ftl! Luckily he didn't trample or shovel the entire deck and I was able yo get what I feel is a fairly accurate representation. I am able to say that 2"'fell from the time he got shovel happy at 4:00 and when I went out after dinner at 7:00.

While not the biggest storm I've experienced, this has been one of the most satisfying ones. Probably has to do with the awfulness of last winter. Lets hope we can keep the good times rolling.

JSpin literally inching me out. I had 14". Unfortunately that was measured on a previously shoveled deck instead of the table I have set up as a measuring board. 8 year old boys ftl! Luckily he didn't trample or shovel the entire deck and I was able yo get what I feel is a fairly accurate representation. I am able to say that 2"'fell from the time he got shovel happy at 4:00 and when I went out after dinner at 7:00.

Nice job getting the measurements. I can relate a bit on the trampling – my boys (7 and 9) can get pretty crazy out there in the snow, but they’re getting trained hard to know that the snowboard off the end of the deck must not be disturbed! They mess up the beautiful edges that the snow thrower makes in the driveway with their sledding, and they make other messes with their forts and all that, but the line is drawn when it comes to the main snowboard. They are actually good about staying away from the snow stake as well, but that’s a bit out of the way so it’s much easier to avoid. So far we’ve been able to live harmoniously and I’ve always been able to get the snow data. My younger son even helped to measure the liquid in one of the snow cores the other day, so that was nice. I think they get that it’s kind of fun and “sciency”, and not entirely crazy measuring all this white stuff.

This was the first time in awhile that I prepared a suitable surface for measurement here at the house. Grand total a hair under 15". I was generally unimpressed when I got up at 11am (yes, I stay up all night...sleep 4am till 11am normally...lol) Around mid afternoon, though it really started pouring. Seemed to be under a deformation axis or a stationary band of some sort for 3 hours or so.

Went out with the new snow blower at 1pm and there's a whole lot more now waiting for me around noon tomorrow. Best storm in quite awhile. Let's get a couple more of these before winter's end!

...LAMOILLE COUNTY...

SMUGGLERS NOTCH 16.0 330 PM 12/27 SKI RESORT

STOWE 11.5 400 PM 12/27 TRAINED SPOTTER

1 SW JEFFERSONVILLE 9.5 630 PM 12/27 TRAINED SPOTTER

CAMBRIDGE 9.5 433 PM 12/27 PUBLIC

MOUNT MANSFIELD 5.5 400 PM 12/27 CO-OP OBSERVER

Ok, someone please explain to me how that Mansfield total works. I mean...why so low??

Archived