ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Autumn in NNE

tamarack

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

31.3F light snow 8:45pm. 2" or so on the ground. Looks like the end is near. Trees with leaves are really bending. Should be a nice shot on my webcam tomorrow morning if we have sun. My birches are yellow and covered in snow. 500" feet below me and just coming from downtown Plymouth seems like just a 1/4' coating or so.

Nice start to winter, just beautiful out there with most of the snow falling at around 32F and sticking to everything.

Gene

PS. I think all the talk of warm ground and snow not sticking is underated. Around 5pm I fell to 32F the first time this fall. Snow started sticking on my fields at 34F or so and even my dirt road has some snow sticking. This all happened at above 32F. The ground has to be in the 40's but the snow still sticks very fast.

PS. I think all the talk of warm ground and snow not sticking is underated. Around 5pm I fell to 32F the first time this fall. Snow started sticking on my fields at 34F or so and even my dirt road has some snow sticking. This all happened at above 32F. The ground has to be in the 40's but the snow still sticks very fast.

Well it was luckily heavy enough to accumulate. This time of year the sun isn't much of an issue. Any snow that begins to melt will latently cool the adjacent air around it. Therefore you can accumulations even though your 2m air temp is a little above 32F.

I was a little concerned about my 50F 6" soil temp, but really it's only the skin temp that matters.

Brian, whats your take on this weekends storm? Seems like we are around the .25" qpf line with the 18Z's. Think I will have to stay up for the GFS. You think the westward tick will continue? I have been out all evening haven't read the boards yet. Another 50 miles west we are in the game!

Skinned to the top of Killington (and skied down of course). There was easily 10-14 inches of snow. Where the ground was unfrozen running water there was about 9/10 inches. Where it was rock or solid cold grass it was 12-14 inches of snow. It was objectively dumping when I drove in and just snowed the whole time at 1/2 inch an hour. The snow was heavy and thick.

Greg has pictures up at

Famousinternetskiers.com

Northern slope from Rangley to Jay Peak and Stowe will be mostly looking in from the outside again. This must be payback for upslope haha. I will say that it's an interesting feeling because living up here I've gotten used to being spoiled. This will be a humbling weekend in October.

27F this morning.

Northern slope from Rangley to Jay Peak and Stowe will be mostly looking in from the outside again. This must be payback for upslope haha. I will say that it's an interesting feeling because living up here I've gotten used to being spoiled. This will be a humbling weekend in October.

27F this morning.

Would be nice if everyone could join in the fun ... I understand the "weenie heartache" as LitchfieldLibations put it so eloquently yesterday. I'm just hoping the euphoria for this storm isn't replaced by depression as we wait for the next one here on the CP. Could be a while.

Just noticed that the "T" hung up by PWM last night is a new record for the date. For Saturday and Sunday the records are "T" and 1.7" respectively. Both should fall handily.

It was ripping for a time but no accumulation for me, though closer to the coast in Buxton they sported a nice coating. It'll go down as a "T" and it looks like first measureable is on the way Saturday.

Just some weenie flakes here last night before it ended, Looks like we will be able to get on the board after this weekend as long as nothing drastic changes today... :snowman:

As JuJu Bob says, ... it's coming. Glad I mentioned the possibility of accumulating snow to the peeps at work yesterday before media started honking.

I had posted a week ago about yesterday on FB, And then i gave a little diddy yesterday on there that some fair weather people may not be happy after this weekend......lol

A truck just showed up in the parking lot absolutely caked in snow. I have no idea where it came from (maybe killington area) but I'm looking out the window and I said, "looks like snow on that truck". All at once everyone turns to me and is like dammit Scott it didn't snow last night, get over it.

Normally trucks leaving the ski resort are snow covered traveling to bare areas. This is the first time I've seen a truck show up with snow when we have none haha.

27F this morning.

chin up dude. its only hard because of the past few Oct. blew our perspectives and anticipations.

Awesome sunrise, 24F, frozen pond, another good weekend for a hike as the beer never gets warm in the backpack :)

Awesome pics Allenson

- 2 points for using awesome twice

Radar showed -SN overhead last evening, but nothing made it to the ground, frozen or otherwise. Quite the chilly day for yesterday's forest research field trip NE of Bingham - I doubt the temp topped 40, with a raw wind and no sun. Very interesting trip, however.

GYX appeared to put the foothills just at the edge of the good stuff for tomorrow night, as we're in the WS watch area and the next zones north are not. Time will tell. I won't be too disappointed if I get 2" while Jeff gets 6" and Eric 10" - after all, it IS still Oct. However, a whiff (while others plow) would not go down well. Timing is off by a day; would've been nice to hunt on snow tomorrow morning (Maine deer opener), though an oncoming major storm should have the critters on the move tomorrow aft.

Archived