Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC/PHL Cold Outbreak Disco/OBS

earthlight

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lows this morning thru 7AM... bold values are the coldest of the season thus far (including ties)... blue ones are as cold or colder than all last winter (which was a ridiculously mild winter when it came to absolute lows):

TTN 12

DYL 6

PNE 12

NXX 10

WRI 13

VAY 14

SMQ 4

LOM 11

NEL 9

UKT 5

PHL 14

MJX 12

BLM 10

PTW 9

XLL 7

MMU 4

ABE 2

EWR 13

CDW 6

12N -9

TEB 12

NYC 14

ACY 15

ILG 12

LGA 17

MQS 10

JFK 15

RDG 6

MIV 15

MPO -4

FWN -2

LNS 6

HPN 12

FRG 12

DOV 15

AVP 1

MGJ 8

SWF 7

MUI 8

GED 18

ESN 18

W29 19

I recorded a low here at 6.1 degrees at 7:32am....This is the lowest temperature I have recorded here since the 1.3 degree reading on January 17,2009

I have never recorded a below zero degree temp here since 2003. My database for Chester County has not had a below zero day since February 1996 - this is the longest stretch without a below zero day in my database history. No doubt some lower spots in the county have recorded below zero as I have been below 1 several times but never below 0. It sounds like monday morning could be close but no cigar once again.

Current snow depth is 7.0"

Lows this morning thru 1PM... bold values are the coldest of the season thus far (including ties)... blue ones are as cold or colder than all last winter (which was a ridiculously mild winter when it came to absolute lows):

TTN 12

DYL 6

PNE 12

NXX 10

WRI 13

VAY 14

SMQ 2

LOM 10

NEL 9

UKT 1

PHL 14

MJX 12

BLM 10

PTW 9

XLL 7

MMU 4

ABE 2

EWR 12

CDW 6

12N -9

TEB 12

NYC 13

ACY 15

ILG 11

LGA 17

MQS 10

JFK 14

RDG 5

MIV 15

MPO -7

FWN -5

LNS 5

HPN 11

FRG 12

DOV 15

AVP 1

MGJ 6

SWF 7

MUI 4

GED 17

ESN 18

W29 19

Somerville is -1F, Morristown is 0F, and Sussex is -2F at 11PM! We might have the coldest night in MANY years in some spots tonight...

Temps. are busting on the low side.

REGIONAL WEATHER ROUNDUP

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

1100 PM EST SAT JAN 22 2011

HUDSON VALLEY

CITY SKY/WX TMP DP RH WIND PRES REMARKS

NEWBURGH CLEAR 1 -2 85 VRB3 29.86S

MONTGOMERY CLEAR -3 -7 82 CALM 29.84F

POUGHKEEPSIE CLEAR 0 -3 87 CALM 29.87F

ALBANY CLOUDY 6 3 87 CALM 29.88F

I'm amazed by the temp disparitty in and around only a few miles of my house.

I'm located in the northeast portion of Clinton TWP bordering Tewksbury and Readington TWP. I headed out a little after 10pm in my truck to see what the temp was in and around the neighborhood. I took a ride down my street an one block over. Both streets are residential with most homes on an 1/2 to 1 acre of property. The temp held steady between 10 and 11 degrees.

For the second leg of the trip, I then went up into the hills of Califon/Tewksbury about a mile or so north of my house and the temp steadily rose with the increase in elevation to 13 degrees and held steady for sometime for approx four miles until I came back down within a half mile of my house and the temp was back down to 10.

For the third leg of the trip I heading from my house down to rt22 past the Baptist Camp in Lebanon. This area features a mix of wooded, residential, and farmland. There are also small swings in elevation. Within no less than a few tenth's of a mile the temp dropped from 10 to 5 and then 4 by the camp and wooded areas, then shot up to 7 and back down to 5 just before rt22.

Nights like this are truly amazing, Temp swings in my area are pretty dramatic within a few miles; and in this case a few hundred feet of each other depending on elevation, location, etc. My guess is that it was probably already below zero in the wooded areas and farmland close to me.

Does anyone know where the Clinton weather station that is reported on the Weather Channel is located? Temps at that location are already down close to zero.

Im doubting those Somerville numbers for sure. I live about 8 miles north in a more wide open environment. We hit 4 but now have risen to 7.5. I dont see that area getting 5 degrees colder being that there are more buildings and blacktop there

pretty far from ur avg cold huh? tommorrow night will be even colder.....payback for the summer

As of midnight it's 4.5 degrees back home in Bridgewater (yesterday morning's low was 8.4). I'm rooting for my weather station to get into the negatives (which hasn't happened since January 2004 I believe)! Somerville is supposedly down to -2, although as others have said I think their readings might be a little too low.

9 here in New Brunswick.

Im doubting those Somerville numbers for sure. I live about 8 miles south in a more wide open environment. We hit 4 but now have risen to 7.5. I dont see that area getting 5 degrees colder being that there are more buildings and blacktop there

I'm pretty sure Somerville's readings are taken from the Somerset airport which is actually in Bedminster and in a very wide open area (I've been to the airport before). I still think it's probably too low but yeah...

Those Somerville temps have been low lately compared to the obs in some of these threads it seems

Im doubting those Somerville numbers for sure. I live about 8 miles south in a more wide open environment. We hit 4 but now have risen to 7.5. I dont see that area getting 5 degrees colder being that there are more buildings and blacktop there

As of midnight it's 4.5 degrees back home in Bridgewater. I'm rooting for my weather station to get into the negatives (which hasn't happened since January 2004 I believe)! Somerville is supposedly down to -2, although as others have said I think their readings might be a little too low.

9 here in New Brunswick.

I'm pretty sure Somerville's readings are taken from the Somerset airport which is actually in Bedminster and in a very wide open area (I've been to the airport before). I still think it's probably too low but yeah...

Somerset Airport (SMQ) has always been a pit. I'm not surprised its reading low... on a radiational night like tonight, its to be expected. You don't really learn to appreciate the way radiational cooling works until you move out west...

There are some wide ranges in temps across the state right now:

http://raws.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/roman/raws_ca_monitor.cgi?state=NJ&type=&rawsflag=290&timeobs=12&day1=22&month1=9&year1=2007&hour1=22&orderby=e

Lows tonight thru 1AM... bold values are the coldest of the season thus far (including ties)... blue ones are as cold or colder than all last winter (which was a ridiculously mild winter when it came to absolute lows):

TTN 10

DYL 5

PNE 12

NXX 11

WRI 14

VAY 12

SMQ -3

LOM 5

NEL 5

UKT 0

PHL 15

MJX 3