• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC/PHL Cold Outbreak Disco/OBS

earthlight

84 hr 00z NAM is essentially in agreement with what the GFS and ECMWF have been showing for a few days now...which is absolutely ridiculous cold especially Sunday Night into Monday. It's rare you see something like this..where the best cold is at the surface, and not aloft..but this is how we get our colder air into this part of the country.

f84.gif

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess we'll get a true sense as to whether or not the urban areas can truly drop to near 0 under these ideal conditions.. If the interior gets below 0 and LGA can get no lower than 12 and EWR 10 then I'm not sure

MAV MOS has even spit out temps as cold as -11F Sunday night for DXR. who knows, maybe Central Park will have an outside chance of falling to near zero.....

hehe, this trip was planned last month. You think -30 is too cold to go in a hot tub outside, LOL. I have to dig into my archives now and find the frozen jamaica bay pics!

I wonder if anyone has ever gone ice fishing on the Bay lol. I remember reading about old winters when people actually established shops on the frozen New York Bay and walked all the way across from NYC to NJ!

Forecasted low of -1 here on Sunday Night

Without a doubt the best cold shot weve seen all this year and last year.

last year was way too warm, stupid nino gun_bandana.gif

This has been a much colder with with both persistently wintry temperatures and big arctic shots. Last year was all wet snow with little snowpack and no arctic air. I much prefer this style of winter...it's amazing how in a major blocking regime, the +QBO and strong La Niña are actually helping us stay colder. The signals that would normally be bad for us have turned positive given the -AO/-NAO/-EPO.

Models are beginning to show a very cold, perhaps colder than this weekend, period in early February... I'm wondering if we can have a go at one of the coldest two week periods in recent years?

The GFS has just been frigid run after run, and the EURO is cold in the LR as well.

Anthony posted earlier that the 12z GFS showed a low of -20 at JFK by the end of the run. I really want to believe that was some sort of typo but the text output did have sub 500 thicknesses over us and it did indeed say -20 for hour 372.

I will be intesrested to see if the cold temps test 2008 in NW NJ.

PS. I know Sussex dropped to - 11 or -12 in the valley

PS. if you have not seen sussex, NJ airport it is in the perfect valley for cold. Ridge to the west 800-1500FT to the west and the hills to the 400 yrads field rise to 550--650 to the east

ovearll one of the cold spots in sussex county.:snowman:

Archived