Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
January 11-12 Snowmageddon disco- III

stratuslove

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was curious when was the last time BOS verified Blizzard twice in one winter. I know there have been been major storms where Blizzard criteria was never actually verified. Of course using this current definition it might be harder to track down if the last winter it happened was before they dropped the temperature requirement.

The melting snow off of roofs can actually be quite dangerous, I'm sitting in my bedroom and every so often huge chunks off snow come sliding off the roof. Hoping this doesn't happen as someone is walking by the back entrance.

lol - instead of maybe doing something to help avoid the risk, you're just going to "hope" that nothing happens. I don't know if you live in an apartment, or your own house, but maybe if the risk is that great you should get someone to snow rake the roof, if possible.

BTW, this is the most impressive wet snow bomb that I can recall, since April Fools 97. Everything is caked in snow. Massive piles everywhere.

I just took a walk at lunch around the Public Garden. Just stunning. Also notable tree damage.

Part of my sorrow last winter was: I had no storms in which to take pictures. I never really got to get out with my son in the snow after the New Years weekend retro-flizzard.

I grabbed some great shots out last night at dusk and today. Pics later.

Almost had a Garbage Truck take me out this morning on the highway. A huge ~3'x2' chuck of snow came flying off the roof and landed about 50' in front of my car. Seriously people, clean off your ****ing vehicles. It's a safety issue and the law.

A number of years ago I was working a job that involved trucking. I was on the phone with one of our drivers in CT who was on either 95 or 84 after a snow/sleet storm. A huge chunk of crusty ice/snow came off of the truck in front of him and shattered his windshield. He kept his cool and was able to pull over safely.

Trucks are hard to clear off since they are so high up. I love having a garage.

Just as I had suspected, measurements across town at my sister's house were very consistent with what I have, here.....anywhere from 19-23" depths, which include a few inches of old crust.

That 24" report from Wilmington is a hallucination.

I want to jackpot, as you all well know, but not at the expense of the validity of data.

Just as I had suspected, measurements across town at my sister's house were very consistent with what I have, here.....anywhere from 19-23" depths, which include a few inches of old crust.

That 24" report from Wilmington is a hallucination.

I want to jackpot, as you all well know, but not at the expense of the validity of data.

That's good you CSI'd the total.

Didn't see these posted anywhere yet.

NWS spotter reports for total snowfall:

http://forecast.weat...BOX&product=PNS

IMO that 21" report in Shrewsbury is BS. We had ~17-17.5 without using the 6 hour methiod so maybe 19" here if you did. I really doubt we had 21" as that sugggests.

Either way-17,19, or 21" a great storm.

IMO that 21" report in Shrewsbury is BS. We had ~17-17.5 without using the 6 hour methiod so maybe 19" here if you did. I really doubt we had 21" as that sugggests.

Well, Shrewsbury has elevation challenges and lakes. The ORH airport had 21.5 or something like that, so maybe someone in town had 21"

My depth ranged from 16-18" of new snow and my final total was 20.5"....it varies.

Mine probably compacted a bit more than your's because it was wetter throughout most of the event.

My depth ranged from 16-18" of new snow and my final total was 20.5"....it varies.

Mine probably compacted a bit more than your's because it was wetter throughout most of the event.

Yeah we were never above maybe 28F and dropped to 24F by the end so it didnt compact too much. But yeah 21" couldve been possible...maybe stretching it a bit, but especially if their elevation was higher, its possible.

------------

On another note, it seems like my area to yours and Wills was in the Mass jackpot (except for the Berks). So its kind of funny that I had school today while some areas just west of me and east of me with 15" or 14" reports had the day off. :lol:

To me, the Georgetown, MA (24") and Roslindale (18.6") reports stick out like the Brady Anderson and Luis Gonzalez 50 HR seasons.

I saw pics from West Roxbury, and the 18.6 does seem a little high. However, they did get more than me...I'd say 16" or so was possible for sure..maybe even 17". That area is inland and up about 200' in elevation.

I saw pics from West Roxbury, and the 18.6 does seem a little high. However, they did get more than me...I'd say 16" or so was possible for sure..maybe even 17". That area is inland and up about 200' in elevation.

Seems odd that it's 4" higher than the West Roxbury report, as the Georgetown report is 4" higher than the Topsfield report. Doesn't seem like the banding was so localized as to cause jumps in just a few miles.

highest point in shrewsbury is 755 ft about a mile ESE of where 140 and 290 intersect, although the center is about 690'-700; ASL.. I could see the 21" as being legit but not very representative of other areas .. regardless anywhere from about 17"-20" is a fair range. IMBY here i measured 19.1" but I am also at 440 ft on the grafton border. I think the 19.1" measurement is pretty fair considering the snow depth I measured around 4 pm yesterday was 17.3" (snow depth does not include ~1" that was on the ground before this past snowstorm).

Seems odd that it's 4" higher than the West Roxbury report, as the Georgetown report is 4" higher than the Topsfield report. Doesn't seem like the banding was so localized as to cause jumps in just a few miles.

Yeah 18.9 seems high, but I could see close to 16 or even a little more if they measured every 6 hrs. Even Logan on the water had 14.7" and the snow had to be pure paste there. It could have been 32F and snow in Rosy, or West Roxbury, while KBOS was 33F during the event. OWD also had 18".

Yeah we were never above maybe 28F and dropped to 24F by the end so it didnt compact too much. But yeah 21" couldve been possible...maybe stretching it a bit, but especially if their elevation was higher, its possible.

------------

On another note, it seems like my area to yours and Wills was in the Mass jackpot (except for the Berks). So its kind of funny that I had school today while some areas just west of me and east of me with 15" or 14" reports had the day off. :lol:

haha you know it takes the second coming of the blizz of 78 here to cancel school .. maybe not as relevant as 5-10 years ago when the super-intendent was Dr.Bent, but still the town does a great job of plowing

haha you know it takes the second coming of the blizz of 78 here to cancel school .. maybe not as relevant as 5-10 years ago when the super-intendent was Dr.Bent, but still the town does a great job of plowing

Yeah I expected to have school...it wasnt all that surprising. Although the road going up to the highschool wasnt in great shape...and one side of the road was only like half size off at the bottom which made it difficult. There are spots of main st I was driving on that have 1 lane instead of 2 as you go into Worcester as well which is to be expected.

In general though, the roads are in pretty good shape.

Yeah I expected to have school...it wasnt all that surprising. Although the road going up to the highschool wasnt in great shape...and one side of the road was only like half size off at the bottom which made it difficult. There are spots of main st I was driving on that have 1 lane instead of 2 as you go into Worcester as well which is to be expected.

In general though, the roads are in pretty good shape.

btw heres a nice topo map of the area . .

43634543535354444.png

He's my boss now. Seems like a nice guy.

Did he have a rep of not cancelling school? Is that big tower in Shrewsbury?

lol - instead of maybe doing something to help avoid the risk, you're just going to "hope" that nothing happens. I don't know if you live in an apartment, or your own house, but maybe if the risk is that great you should get someone to snow rake the roof, if possible.

I live in an apartment and there really is no way for me to get onto the roof. Plus the roof is pretty steep, I'd be freaked out, especially since I'm afraid of heights, I suppose I could talk to the landlords but they probably wouldn't do anything. If snow does fall on anyone it could be a pretty lawsuit I suppose.

He's my boss now. Seems like a nice guy.

Did he have a rep of not cancelling school? Is that big tower in Shrewsbury?

Yeah, especially in the late 90s and early 2000s.

I dont think theres a big tower in Shrewsbury .. although there is a place on the border of grafton that is a WWI (?) commemeration and has ~40'-50' high, 10' in diameter stone tower that you can walk in

Yeah, especially in the late 90s and early 2000s.

I dont think theres a big tower in Shrewsbury .. although there is a place on the border of grafton that is a WWI (?) commemeration and has ~40'-50' high, 10' in diameter stone tower that you can walk in

I meant the 700' or whatever comm tower. Is that on/near that high spot? (close to 290 & 140)

Archived