Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
January 11-12 Snowmageddon disco- III

stratuslove

Maybe they measured a snow bank.

All day the news reporters were seen standing next to 5 foot mounds of snow - created by snow plows. Even in a 6" storm, a plow can put up a 5' pile of snow. The hype and reporting for these weather events continues to astound, and amaze me. The producers of these amped up type of weather stories must really think the general public are morons.

Truly pathetic.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know, tell me about it. Ever since the Blizzard of 1996, when Philidelphia said they got 31" but 27" was on the level by the end of the storm and the PDII where Boston said they got 28" but 17" was on the ground directly after it. Check on the C6 data, same as New York in the Feb 2006 situation 27"vs. 17", Red flags have been showing up all over the place.:popcorn:

The 31 vs 27 from Philadelphia does not strike me as quite so screwed up. I mean 27 new at the end of any storm is pretty amazing! But probably was still over reported by one or two inches.

The Central Park from 06 is the kind of thing that really bothers me but I did not realize the difference was ten inches!!!!

The 31 vs 27 from Philadelphia does not strike me as quite so screwed up. I mean 27 new at the end of any storm is pretty amazing! But probably was still over reported by one or two inches.

The Central Park from 06 is the kind of thing that really bothers me but I did not realize the difference was ten inches!!!!

I think 4" of settling from of greater than 30" snowfall is plausible....the more you have, the more it compacts.

I know, tell me about it. Ever since the Blizzard of 1996, when Philidelphia said they got 31" but 27" was on the level by the end of the storm and the PDII where Boston said they got 28" but 17" was on the ground directly after it. Check on the C6 data, same as New York in the Feb 2006 situation 27"vs. 17", Red flags have been showing up all over the place.

Granted the 27" vs 17" is pretty extreme, but couldn't the 31 to 27 come from compaction during the storm, or even measuring from a 2 different areas? Just throwing that out there.

If you do 6 hourly measurements, 27" at the end of a storm could easily mean over 30".

Snow depth and storm total are not necessarily the same thing....especially in the larger event where compaction is more likely to occur as the snow weighs itself down. We can debate whether its "better" just to report depth at the end all we want, but in terms of official measurements, you can do 6 hourly increments and its legit.

If you do 6 hourly measurements, 27" at the end of a storm could easily mean over 30".

Snow depth and storm total are not necessarily the same thing....especially in the larger event where compaction is more likely to occur as the snow weighs itself down. We can debate whether its "better" just to report depth at the end all we want, but in terms of official measurements, you can do 6 hourly increments and its legit.

Exactly....some folks just can't process that.

Granted the 27" vs 17" is pretty extreme, but couldn't the 31 to 27 come from compaction during the storm, or even measuring from a 2 different areas? Just throwing that out there.

Yes...the morning of Dec 13, 1992 (the morning after the storm ended), ORH airport had a snow depth of 27" after the storm had given 32.1"....granted it had a few extra hours to settle compared to right at the end of the storm...but it was still only like 5 hours after it ended.

Yes...the morning of Dec 13, 1992 (the morning after the storm ended), ORH airport had a snow depth of 27" after the storm had given 32.1"....granted it had a few extra hours to settle compared to right at the end of the storm...but it was still only like 5 hours after it ended.

Yea, cement-snow settles more than sugar.

The 22" that fell....not the depth at the end of the storm.

SnowFALL and snow DEPTH are two difference concepts.....the NWS seeks snowFALLS from storms....if you notice in the spotter report, there is a seperate space on the form designated for depth.

Assuming his measurements were at least 6 hours apart...he said he did 4 measurements but didn't specify time interval between them...you have to make sure its every 6 hours.

Great day all around.

16" in Noho. Wasn't sure that was possible.

OT ....the town of palmer, and adjacent areas in mass....... ENE of springfield has been getting buried for the last couple hours in the best of that rotting deform band. nice local lollie there.

Fiance's house a stone's throw from the SW shore of Quabbin had 21". Maybe even a "quabbin effect" as Dendrite pointed out.

Midweek prices at Berkshire east for a sweet powder day. Just beautiful light fluffy stuff. I'd estimate about 2 feet or just under by the time I left. Not many souls made it up there, so freshies could be found all day.

Exactly....some folks just can't process that.

The problem really starts when it snows 4" then some rain and sleet, then another 4". Do you say I got 8" which you did for the day not for the whole storm. What you probably need to say which the climotologist are arguing is, I got 4" it rained and melted it to 1" then I got 4" more. Then you say you have 5" on the the ground to show for it. Not 8":guitar:

Assuming his measurements were at least 6 hours apart...he said he did 4 measurements but didn't specify time interval between them...you have to make sure its every 6 hours.

Yea, that was implied.....if worse comes to worse and you can't wipe every 6 hrs, then I'd add an inch for every 10" that falls.....there is no way you are going to measure 20" if 20" fell.....you'd measure like 18"

Still awaiting the official total from ORH...not that I have a ton of faith in their measurements....they had 15.5" at 1pm...and heavy snow occurred for a couple more hours, then it went lighter but steady for the next 3 hours after that.

Snow here is just about completely done except a stray flake. 19.6" is the final. Would have been nice to get 20"...but I exceeded my expectations. ORH airport would need a 20.2" total or higher to crack a top ten snowstorm. 20.1" is 11th all time and 19.8" is 12th.

The problem really starts when it snows 4" then some rain and sleet, then another 4". Do you say I got 8" which you did for the day not for the whole storm. What you probably need to say which the climotologist are arguing is, I got 4" it rained and melted it to 1" then I got 4" more. Then you say you have 5" on the the ground to show for it. Not 8":guitar:

:weenie:

After today's storm, I am really questioning whether clearing every 6 hours or so is the way to go. I ended the day with what seemed like 28 inches, but after thinking about it, I went back and reduced my middle clearing and averaged in for drifting (this is when the wind was going), to get down to around 25". I guess my point is, that my high total wasn't making sense to what others around me were reporting (not right next door but the towns around me, etc.). I know I shouldn't worry about others but for some reason I did this time. Most of the measurements around me were done after the storm, and I think if I did the same, my number would have been smaller, but may make more sense.

After today's storm, I am really questioning whether clearing every 6 hours or so is the way to go. I ended the day with what seemed like 28 inches, but after thinking about it, I went back and reduced my middle clearing and averaged in for drifting (this is when the wind was going), to get down to around 25". I guess my point is, that my high total wasn't making sense to what others around me were reporting (not right next door but the towns around me, etc.). I know I shouldn't worry about others but for some reason I did this time. Most of the measurements around me were done after the storm, and I think if I did the same, my number would have been smaller, but may make more sense.

Good job! That's how you do it.:drunk: Trust but verify..

Alright guys, Good night. I didn't want to start a war, just wanted to point something out and make a point. Remember everybody, if your going to beat a Blizzard of 1978 in Boston or Providence, the Blizzard of 1947 in New York or the Knicker Bocker Snowstorm of 1928 in Washington D.C./Baltimore, you need to do it like those storms REALLY did. Not cheap gimmicks or political stunts. That's how it really should be done. With honesty. Again good night and here's to the next potential big one :drunk:

Dude..I am seriously about to pass out..my left arm and wrst are so sore My back is broken.. The part at the end of the driveway where the plow came was 3 feet.

But I told myself I was going to do this..and enjoy it..and I did. This will never happen here again..so I wanted to relish every minute of it

at the end of my driveway there was a 5 foot death pile from a combo of plows / drifiting :axe:

at least i made it to Boston to see the celtics blow out the kings

Just to give you an idea of what a joke some of these snowfall totals are....There is a HAM Radio report of 14" out of Wilmington @ 10:30 AM and then the follow up HAM Radio report @ 2:37 PM indicating a 24" total in Wilmington; I know this was a dynamic system, but we were not receiving over 2"\hr snows throughout the duration of that period and I'm quite sure that a glance at RAD images from today would confirm that.

They were at three to four hour increments...all that snow fell with in twelve hours or so..that is why i took the 19 at what I thought at the time was a fair compromise.

They were at three to four hour increments...all that snow fell with in twelve hours or so..that is why i took the 19 at what I thought at the time was a fair compromise.

Ok, so if all the snow fell in 12 hours, then the max number of measurements you could do is 2.

Archived