Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 11-12 Snowmageddon disco- III

stratuslove

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There can be investigations into that kind of thing though bc I think I remember BWI lowering totals after one of the big storms last year bc the amounts were just too high. I am not a hundred pct on that but I know I read something about it.

I know I have said this before but I lived in

Bristol Ct for thirty years, being too young to appreciate 78 and 83 events...hoping beyond hope for a two footer and since I left there in 04 they have had two 2' events..with three to four inch/hr rates...FEB 06 and JAN 11

We had a solid 18 here in spfd but did not get any of those crazy rates or thundersnow...and that is how you get that extra four to eight inches in one of these type events

Yeah I remember that about BWI...I certainly hope something is potentially looked into at BDL, I'd hate to see fake or inaccurate numbers get tossed into the books.

Feb 06 and this are freaking sweet here, although this one IMO at least takes the cake over that one, well for one it eclipsed the highest measured snowfall ever at BDL for a 24-HR period, and it produced virtually widespread 15-18''+ amounts in CT with many 20''+ reports. This storm as well was also potent from virtually start to finish, dropping just about 1-2''/HR type rates for the duration of the storm and this snow is also much more "real"...Feb 06 it all compacted virtually by the next morning and over 50% of what had fallen was virtually gone...overnight.

Yeah that sucks that happened but what do we do really? It's unfortunately down in the records already and unless there is some way of getting more accurate totals into the books do we really have a choice but to go by it? Asterisk perhaps? :lol:

I'm not sure what can be done about it, but if you read one of the articals from CNN last year from the "Snow Magedon"

Many of the State Climotologist are not pleased how snow was being measured by the FAA in Baltimore, MD. Records were not broken in Baltimore because the Climos lowered the total to 24.7" instead of 28.2. The also indicated that records my be tainted as far back as the Blizzard of 1996 from inflated totals even up here through 2010. The said they may have to fix it by looking at what was left on the ground for a storm total than what the person said fell. So if someone says they close to or got 30" and 20" or less is on the ground then 20" or less is what it will be. They don't buy the proverbial " It settled that fast the same day":rolleyes:

According to Taunton Mendon had only 8", Im going there tomorrow, Ill have to check that out, doesnt seem right when all the towns around them are 14-18"

The 8" total from Mendon was at 5am...look at the time stamp. They probably got somewhere around 18" or even 20". Milford, MA reported 21".

I'm not sure what can be done about it, but if you read one of the artical from CNN last year from the "Snow Magedon"

Many of the State Climotologist are not pleased how snow was being measured by the FAA in Baltimore, MD. Records were not broken in Baltimore becase the Climos lowered the total to 24.7" instead of 28.2. The also indicated that records my be tainted as far back as the Blizzard of 1996 from inflated totals. The said they may have to fix it by looking at what was left on the ground for a storm total than what the person said fell. So if someone says they got 30" and 20" is on the ground then 20" is what it will be. They don't buy the proverbial " It settled that fast the same day":rolleyes:

I can't believe how badly of a mess something like this could really be...I just don't understand on something as simple as measuring snowfall can be so confusing. I don't find measuring snowfall to be all that confusing or challenging, you just have to make sure you're away from any obstructions, you're measuring on a flat surface, or if you're using a snow board you clear it every 6 hours...this really shouldn't be all that difficult to do.

The 8" total from Mendon was at 5am...look at the time stamp. They probably got somewhere around 18" or even 20". Milford, MA reported 21".

That's what happens when people give their reports but then never manage to give a final total or given updated reports after every few to several inches.

I can't believe how badly of a mess something like this could really be...I just don't understand on something as simple as measuring snowfall can be so confusing. I don't find measuring snowfall to be all that confusing or challenging, you just have to make sure you're away from any obstructions, you're measuring on a flat surface, or if you're using a snow board you clear it every 6 hours...this really shouldn't be all that difficult to do.

I know, tell me about it. Ever since the Blizzard of 1996, when Philidelphia said they got 31" but 27" was on the level by the end of the storm and the PDII where Boston said they got 28" but 17" was on the ground directly after it. Check on the C6 data, same as New York in the Feb 2006 situation 27"vs. 17", Red flags have been showing up all over the place.:popcorn:

Yeah I remember that about BWI...I certainly hope something is potentially looked into at BDL, I'd hate to see fake or inaccurate numbers get tossed into the books.

Feb 06 and this are freaking sweet here, although this one IMO at least takes the cake over that one, well for one it eclipsed the highest measured snowfall ever at BDL for a 24-HR period, and it produced virtually widespread 15-18''+ amounts in CT with many 20''+ reports. This storm as well was also potent from virtually start to finish, dropping just about 1-2''/HR type rates for the duration of the storm and this snow is also much more "real"...Feb 06 it all compacted virtually by the next morning and over 50% of what had fallen was virtually gone...overnight.

I agree this snow is more "real". The Feb 06 storm I did pretty well on the east side of spfd with 16 inches but it was incredibly dry and fluffy. I swear this stuff is wetter but not like cement, that is why I was skeptical of the 20 to 1 ratios that are being so widely reported. Shoveling this stuff had some weight to it.

So youre saying with the two plus feet you got in Feb 06..it compacted how much overnight? Do you remember at one point during the event what your greatest depth was?

Thanks Scott. That area along the Riverway between JP and Brookline is really nicely wooded as you can see. Great place for dogs if you can keep control by voice which thankfully I can.

Great place for a Jebwalk. I took one of my favorite snow walks ever through there in 12/5/2002 storm (think that date is about right). Walked home from Brookline Village after the snow had come out and the sky cleared for a pink setting sun. Walked through about 7 inches of the finest powder you'll find and was just euphoric.

I know, tell me about it. Ever since the Blizzard of 1996, when Philidelphia said they got 31" but 27" was on the level by the end of the storm and the PDII where Boston said they got 28" but 17" was on the ground directly after it. Check on the C6 data, same as New York in the Feb 2006 situation 27"vs. 17", Red flags have been showing up all over the place.:popcorn:

:facepalm:

It just totally blows my mind.

Again and not only because it was so widespread geographically but even in the immediate Boston area...this storm had MUCH higher impact vs 12/26. Slightly less snow but concrete and a very intense pre dawn and early morning dump. I parted the shade when I awoke after sleeping 2 and 1/2 hours and noticed total whiteout......jumped out of bed and reported to duty. Now reading the post mortem. I'm a man in my mid 60s and am sleep deprived. But I hiked 5 miles in todays snow and shoveled. We got a gift today...and always be thankful we have this obsession. Others obsess on far less healthy endeavors. Good night folks......a little down time and then peaking at the extended. Take care.

I buy that....the PD II one I don't.

I'm not sure what can be done about it, but if you read one of the articals from CNN last year from the "Snow Magedon"

Many of the State Climotologist are not pleased how snow was being measured by the FAA in Baltimore, MD. Records were not broken in Baltimore because the Climos lowered the total to 24.7" instead of 28.2. The also indicated that records my be tainted as far back as the Blizzard of 1996 from inflated totals even up here through 2010. The said they may have to fix it by looking at what was left on the ground for a storm total than what the person said fell. So if someone says they close to or got 30" and 20" or less is on the ground then 20" or less is what it will be. They don't buy the proverbial " It settled that fast the same day":rolleyes:

AWESOME!!!!!! This might be my favorite post of the day! I am with climo 100 pct!!!!

I was suspicious of some of the totals back in the 96 blizzard, and while no one will ever dispute that the MA winter last year was epic, there is no doubt in my mind that a good number of the totals were inflated. I say it again and again, I can see an inch or two of compaction especially with new snow on top of old snow and in big snows the weight will compact some but again at the end of the storm if there is two feet on the ground, it just seems wrong to report over 30 inches.

In Feb 01 in Bristol Ct I shoveled that whole storm my self in four increments. There was almost no wind and my driveway was wide open in a great zone for measuring ( no trees,etc). Anyway the total i measured from shoveling added up to nearly 22 inches, while the greatest depths i could measure of new snow was 17 to 18 inches and it was perfect bc there was a glacier of snow/ice on the ground from pervious storms and you could feel the yard stick stop cold when measuring reaching the old snow. I logged an event total of 19 inches for that storm but certainly not the 22.

I agree this snow is more "real". The Feb 06 storm I did pretty well on the east side of spfd with 16 inches but it was incredibly dry and fluffy. I swear this stuff is wetter but not like cement, that is why I was skeptical of the 20 to 1 ratios that are being so widely reported. Shoveling this stuff had some weight to it.

So youre saying with the two plus feet you got in Feb 06..it compacted how much overnight? Do you remember at one point during the event what your greatest depth was?

Yeah that storm was SO light and fluffy you could literally blow it off everything with a fan. This one was at least a bit more on the wetter side, although not too wet, at least for our area which made the snow removal not that big of a challenge.

My greatest depth was 27.5'' from that storm, by the next morning it was down to 13-14'' then the next day it was down to something like 8'' then it just was gone.

AWESOME!!!!!! This might be my favorite post of the day! I am with climo 100 pct!!!!

I was suspicious of some of the totals back in the 96 blizzard, and while no one will ever dispute that the MA winter last year was epic, there is no doubt in my mind that a good number of the totals were inflated. I say it again and again, I can see an inch or two of compaction especially with new snow on top of old snow and in big snows the weight will compact some but again at the end of the storm if there is two feet on the ground, it just seems wrong to report over 30 inches.

In Feb 01 in Bristol Ct I shoveled that whole storm my self in four increments. There was almost no wind and my driveway was wide open in a great zone for measuring ( no trees,etc). Anyway the total i measured from shoveling added up to nearly 22 inches, while the greatest depths i could measure of new snow was 17 to 18 inches and it was perfect bc there was a glacier of snow/ice on the ground from pervious storms and you could feel the yard stick stop cold when measuring reaching the old snow. I logged an event total of 19 inches for that storm but certainly not the 22.

Well, you logged the incorrect amount.

Archived