Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
January 11-12 Snowmageddon disco- III

stratuslove

Great day all around.

16" in Noho. Wasn't sure that was possible.

Fiance's house a stone's throw from the SW shore of Quabbin had 21". Maybe even a "quabbin effect" as Dendrite pointed out.

Midweek prices at Berkshire east for a sweet powder day. Just beautiful light fluffy stuff. I'd estimate about 2 feet or just under by the time I left. Not many souls made it up there, so freshies could be found all day.

Today scores a big well needed victory for the valley!!!!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow looking at Don Sutherland's snow archive on his website and I came across some shots that are on there literally from my by...as in I took them standing in my by. 1/22/05 FTW!

http://wintercenter....tojan2005o.html

2nd one down in my by. Blizzardgeek (hooralph) has some nice ones. That was a crushing! Too much wine tonight....celebrate another boulder laid onto the grave of that old hag 12/30/00....f u c k her!!

The problem really starts when it snows 4" then some rain and sleet, then another 4". Do you say I got 8" which you did for the day not for the whole storm. What you probably need to say which the climotologist are arguing is, I got 4" it rained and melted it to 1" then I got 4" more. Then you say you have 5" on the the ground to show for it. Not 8":guitar:

In that kind of a circumstance I would say the eight is fine.

Wow looking at Don Sutherland's snow archive on his website and I came across some shots that are on there literally from my by...as in I took them standing in my by. 1/22/05 FTW!

http://wintercenter....tojan2005o.html

2nd one down in my by. Blizzardgeek (hooralph) has some nice ones. That was a crushing! Too much wine tonight....celebrate another boulder laid onto the grave of that old hag 12/30/00....f u c k her!!

12/30/2000 was a lovely storm in my opinion.

Too bad the March Nor'easter didn't get its act together, or we could have had the ultimate couplet that winter.

Thankfully, the mid level centers were much tighter this go around. lol

Yeah definitely, this storm was certainly a lot different than that one in that regard. That's why Boston even down to interior SE MA stayed all snow on a track over western Cape or Buzzards Bay.

This was basically a slightly further west March 1960...and a slower 12/9/05.

12/30/2000 was a lovely storm in my opinion.

Too bad the March Nor'easter didn't get its act together, or we could have had the ultimate couplet that winter.

Yeah that was a great NYC storm...somewhat reminiscent of late Feb 2010 when we rained and you snowed. The fact that I got barely a trace and my wife's elderly dying grandmother felt sad because I got rain told the tale. But in fairness Walt Drag pointed out the issues in his afd the night before...but weenies ignore these things. WSW were up but when I walked out of Starbucks and the temp had gone up 10F I knew we were cooked. I went in there happy with it 25F.

Yeah that was a great NYC storm...somewhat reminiscent of late Feb 2010 when we rained and you snowed. The fact that I got barely a trace and my wife's elderly dying grandmother felt sad because I got rain told the tale. But in fairness Walt Drag pointed out the issues in his afd the night before...but weenies ignore these things. WSW were up but when I walked out of Starbucks and the temp had gone up 10F I knew we were cooked. I went in there happy with it 25F.

Hey but I remember you said you went to the Natick Mall to see snow that day. :snowman:

That storm was horrific here for the dryslot. The dryslot made it all the way back to the MA/NY border...it was awful. We got 10" of snow pretty quick and then it snizzled the rest of the storm. Maybe a quick burst at the very end as the leftover CCB came through, but by then it was a shell of what it was back in NY and NNJ.

Hey but I remember you said you went to the Natick Mall to see snow that day. :snowman:

That storm was horrific here for the dryslot. The dryslot made it all the way back to the MA/NY border...it was awful. We got 10" of snow pretty quick and then it snizzled the rest of the storm. Maybe a quick burst at the very end as the leftover CCB came through, but by then it was a shell of what it was back in NY and NNJ.

Your memory is unreal! Yes...my daughter was 16 months old...and I was cranky....lol....

Truthfully it was so close that by Chestnut Hill there was snow on the ground. I went to West Roxbury later that week and they had a net gain of snow. Boston/Brookline took that pipe that storm...what a freaking disaster!

Did the December 2000 storm track up the CT River Valley? Will, did you stay cold enough for all snow, just dryslotted?

And yes, 2/25/10 is probably the benchmark storm for my life. Not sure I'll ever top 26" here...

Did the December 2000 storm track up the CT River Valley? Will, did you stay cold enough for all snow, just dryslotted?

And yes, 2/25/10 is probably the benchmark storm for my life. Not sure I'll ever top 26" here...

It basically tracked over BOS...it was plenty cold here for snow, but the dry slot was the limiting factor. It snowed like hell for like 6 hours and picked up a quick 10" and then dryslotted.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/NARR/2000/us1230.php

You can see the mid-levels stayed plenty cold for snow, even in BOS, but the boundary layer killed them with an east wind off the water....especially in December where its a bigger issue.

Yeah definitely, this storm was certainly a lot different than that one in that regard. That's why Boston even down to interior SE MA stayed all snow on a track over western Cape or Buzzards Bay.

This was basically a slightly further west March 1960...and a slower 12/9/05.

This just about ties Dec 16, 2007 for my deepest snow pack since 2005, which wasn't much deeper.

2005 and 2001 were a little deeper, but not by a ton.

Very impressive totals out in the Berkshires ..

CONNECTICUT

...LITCHFIELD COUNTY...

CORNWALL 28.0 450 PM 1/12 MOHAWK MTN SKI AREA

WOODBURY 28.0 500 PM 1/12 WOODBURY SKI AREA

CANAAN 27.0 506 PM 1/12 WEATHERNET6

SHARON 24.8 443 PM 1/12 WEATHERNET6

2 N SOUTH CANAAN 24.5 500 PM 1/12 CT DOT NORTH CANAAN

LITCHFIELD 20.0 500 PM 1/12 CT DOT

THOMASTON 18.0 500 PM 1/12 CT DOT

WINCHESTER CENTER 17.0 500 PM 1/12 CT DOT

TORRINGTON 17.0 324 PM 1/12

MASSACHUSETTS

...BERKSHIRE COUNTY...

SAVOY 38.2 1056 PM 1/12 WEATHERNET6

FLORIDA 33.0 400 PM 1/12 WTEN-TV

WINDSOR 29.0 400 PM 1/12 WTEN-TV

BECKET 28.0 400 PM 1/12 WTEN-TV

NORTH ADAMS 26.0 400 PM 1/12 WTEN-TV

WASHINGTON 25.0 400 PM 1/12 WTEN-TV

ADAMS 24.5 400 PM 1/12 WTEN-TV

CLARKSBURG 24.5 1009 PM 1/12 WEATHERNET6

CHESHIRE 24.0 400 PM 1/12

DALTON 24.0 400 PM 1/12 WTEN-TV

GREAT BARRINGTON 23.0 400 PM 1/12 WTEN-TV

PITTSFIELD 23.0 453 PM 1/12 WEATHERNET6

STOCKBRIDGE 21.0 517 PM 1/12 TRAINED SPOTTER

LANESBOROUGH 18.0 504 PM 1/12 WEATHERNET6

LEE 18.0 400 PM 1/12 WTEN-TV

I got about 5-6", but once you hit like Medford, it was bare ground.

This just about ties Dec 16, 2007 for my deepest snow pack since 2005, which wasn't much deeper.

2005 and 2001 were a little deeper, but not by a ton.

You mean Dec 20, 2007?

IIRC you picked up 7" in that after the 12/16/07 storm.

For me, its the same....though a bit short of Jan 1, 2008...I had nearly two feet on the ground on Jan 1, 2008 before that torch from hell wiped it out. Dec 21, 2008 I had about 20" on the ground.

I currently have around 18" snowpack. I had 2-3" before the storm started, but it was so light and fluffy, this storm basically compressed it to nothing. If we can get mostly snow/ice out of the next system, then it would definitely be my deepest since 2005.

You mean Dec 20, 2007?

IIRC you picked up 7" in that after the 12/16/07 storm.

For me, its the same....though a bit short of Jan 1, 2008...I had nearly two feet on the ground on Jan 1, 2008 before that torch from hell wiped it out. Dec 21, 2008 I had about 20" on the ground.

I currently have around 18" snowpack. I had 2-3" before the storm started, but it was so light and fluffy, this storm basically compressed it to nothing. If we can get mostly snow/ice out of the next system, then it would definitely be my deepest since 2005.

Maybe, but it was close....I lost a few inches later in the day on 12\16.

I had 3.5" of concrete.

21.5" depth on avg, now.

Will, don't look now, but the Rev may beat you.:whistle:

He has got me, I think.

This is acting like a Nino.

What is his seasonal total?

He beat me by like 6" this storm which is usually impossible and beat me in the norlun events...its definitely been good in CT.

He beat me by like 6" this storm which is usually impossible and beat me in the norlun events...its definitely been good in CT.

He had like 21.5" before this event and he likely ended with 26", so about 47.5"!

It's ok, next year is our year if it follows the progression lol

BWI-NYC\CT-MA

Connecticut and New Jersey are having historic winters, for sure. To think that places like Jersey City and Danbury could have over 40" on January 13th is just incredible.

This winter has been one of the best ever so far...two major Nor'easters, plenty of nickel and dime events to track, and persistent cold since Thanksgiving. Quite impressive.

He had like 21.5 before this event and he likely ended with 26", so about 47.5"!

It's ok, next year is our year if it follows the progression lol

BWI-NYC\CT-MA

So I'm behind by about 11" then. I can make that up quickly if we get a few SWFEs or late bloomers....but its not going to be easy. His area probably beats mine about once every 8 or 9 years. He did in 2005-2006 so he doesn't deserve to again yet, lol.

So I'm behind by about 11" then. I can make that up quickly if we get a few SWFEs or late bloomers....but its not going to be easy. His area probably beats mine about once every 8 or 9 years. He did in 2005-2006 so he doesn't deserve to again yet, lol.

We need a gradient pattern to setup perfectly, so as to screw s of the pike.

We need a gradient pattern to setup perfectly, so as to screw s of the pike.

It might...even if its not perfect, you can get those events where he has 5" with a crap ton of sleet and we'll have 8-10"...but this is looking like CT's year.

I don't mind them getting a lot of jackpots though (as long as we are still getting good snows too) because they have been relatively screwed for a while now. The '07-08 and '08-'09 winters were not that good down there despite being kind to our region. They also got really screwed in '04-'05...relatively speaking. It was still a great winter snow total wise, but just to their east and northeast it was a historic winter. Kind of akin to what we watched just north of us in '07-'08. They had a good year in '05-'06 but not enough to make up for the other screw jobs.

It might...even if its not perfect, you can get those events where he has 5" with a crap ton of sleet and we'll have 8-10"...but this is looking like CT's year.

I don't mind them getting a lot of jackpots though (as long as we are still getting good snows too) because they have been relatively screwed for a while now. The '07-08 and '08-'09 winters were not that good down there despite being kind to our region. They also got really screwed in '04-'05...relatively speaking. It was still a great winter snow total wise, but just to their east and northeast it was a historic winter. Kind of akin to what we watched just north of us in '07-'08. They had a good year in '05-'06 but not enough to make up for the other screw jobs.

Yea, great way to put things into perspective.

I think he'll beat me, but I think that I'll close the gap some.

Yea, great way to put things into perspective.

I think he'll beat me, but I think that I'll close the gap some.

Yeah, like I said, as long as we are still doing great and not smoking cirrus every storm, I don't care if they go historic on us...they deserve a good one after the screw jobs they've gotten. You can even go back to '00-'01 too. If Kevin had lived in Tolland back then, he would have went insane watching what happened just to his northeast in ORH county and SW NH.

I do think we'll see some more typical Nina events which will allow us to close the gap a bit as you said, but I'm sure if it will be enough. Even if we do close the gap and get similar totals...still a better winter there relative to climo.

Archived