Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
January 11-12 Snowmageddon disco- III

stratuslove

I don't like the tone of this discussion :lol:

It might...even if its not perfect, you can get those events where he has 5" with a crap ton of sleet and we'll have 8-10"...but this is looking like CT's year.

Said it before and I'll say it again...maybe as soon as next week.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, like I said, as long as we are still doing great and not smoking cirrus every storm, I don't care if they go historic on us...they deserve a good one after the screw jobs they've gotten. You can even go back to '00-'01 too. If Kevin had lived in Tolland back then, he would have went insane watching what happened just to his northeast in ORH county and SW NH.

I do think we'll see some more typical Nina events which will allow us to close the gap a bit as you said, but I'm sure if it will be enough. Even if we do close the gap and get similar totals...still a better winter there relative to climo.

How much did Tolland have in 2001

They took the liquid equivalent and called it rain?

SXUS71 KOKX 130309

RERBDR

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

1008 PM EST WED JAN 12 2011

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM RAINFALL SET AT BRIDGEPORT CT...

A RECORD RAINFALL OF 1.25 INCHES WAS SET AT BRIDGEPORT CT TODAY.

THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 0.86 SET IN 1996.

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM SNOWFALL SET AT BRIDGEPORT CT...

A RECORD SNOWFALL OF 15 INCHES WAS SET AT BRIDGEPORT CT TODAY.

THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 3 SET IN 2004.

wouldnt mind a vd 07 calibar sleet storm to reinforce this snow pack and make it bullet-proof ..

Amen....I was lucky in that, though.....8\10 times I won't remain below freezing in those types of deals; that arctic high was on juice.

I never sniffed freezing....I hit like 26, while rt 128 hit 32-33.

Amen....I was lucky in that, though.....8\10 times I won't remain below freezing in those types of deals; that arctic high was on juice.

I never sniffed freezing....I hit like 26, while rt 128 hit 32-33.

very odd event .. temps in the 10s, decent winds, and pounding sleet for the majority of the time :arrowhead:

between that event and the St.patty's day event ( snow to sleet), there was an impressive and resiliant sleetpack that lasted to the start of April IIRC

very odd event .. temps in the 10s, decent winds, and pounding sleet for the majority of the time :arrowhead:

between that event and the St.patty's day event ( snow to sleet), there was an impressive and resiliant sleetpack that lasted to the start of April IIRC

St Patty's day I touched 32.0 for like an hr, tops, then it crashed.

Absolutely.......KU fetish satiated.

I do not think we are done with those this season, either.

We are due to break the streak of cruddy Marches. 2007 was a decent March but not what you would call a great March. I know you have been saying we get a bomb in March....would be a great finish to a great winter assuming we can rack up some good events between now and then.

Absolutely.......KU fetish satiated.

I do not think we are done with those this season, either.

Ironically, this storm will barely register on the NESIS scale for a KU. :lol:

It didn't hammer much of the populated areas. Probably a cat 1. But that isn't unusual...April 1997 was a cat 1 too.

Ironically, this storm will barely register on the NESIS scale for a KU. :lol:

It didn't hammer much of the populated areas. Probably a cat 1. But that isn't unusual...April 1997 was a cat 1 too.

Yea, I only care about what falls imby.....couldn't care less if I 95 from RIC to NYC is under 2', if I smoke cirrus.

I do respect that the scale incorporates far more than mby, though and have no problem with that rating system.

Yea, I only care about what falls imby.....couldn't care less if I 95 from RIC to NYC is under 2', if I smoke cirrus.

I do respect that the scale incorporates far more than mby, though and have no problem with that rating system.

BOS getting "only" 14.7" will also hurt too.

I didn't realize BOS was already over 40"...I keep forgetting they got over 18" in the 12/26 event. 40.4" on the season. Jerry's 73" might verify, lol.

BOS getting "only" 14.7" will also hurt too.

I didn't realize BOS was already over 40"...I keep forgetting they got over 18" in the 12/26 event. 40.4" on the season. Jerry's 73" might verify, lol.

Already only 2 inches away from the seasonal average.

ORH airport just came in their total....21.1"

1.5" more than my 19.6" but nothing out of the ordinary (and my total is obviously subject to error within an inch at the least anyway in a storm this big and with wind)...certainly not for being 4 miles away. Surrounding obs support it from towns like Millbury and Shrewsbury.

Its a notable total though, because the difference between my total and theirs moves it into a top 10 snowstorm of all time. New top ten list:

1. Mar 31-Apr1, 1997...33.0"

2. Dec 11-12, 1992......32.1"

3. Dec 7-8, 1996.........26.3"

4. Feb 22, 1893..........25.0"

5. Feb 14, 1962..........24.7"

6. Feb 12-14, 1899......24.5"

7. Jan 22-23, 2005.......24.1"

8. Mar 3, 1960............22.1"

9. Mar 4-6, 2001.........22.0"

10. Jan 11-12, 2011....21.2"

11. Feb 17-18, 2003....20.8"

12. Feb 5-7, 1978........20.2"

13. Mar 13-14, 1993....20.1"

I made an erroneous post earlier saying that 20.2" had been the 10th place total...but it was actually 11th (now 12th with this current new update)

We are due to break the streak of cruddy Marches. 2007 was a decent March but not what you would call a great March. I know you have been saying we get a bomb in March....would be a great finish to a great winter assuming we can rack up some good events between now and then.

I could go for a March '05 repeat. :whistle:

I could go for a March '05 repeat. :whistle:

That was the last truly great March here IMHO. I think we had 25" or so and we had a great "positive bust" on March 12, 2005. Got nearly a foot of snow when 3-5" was forecasted.

We are certainly due, but of course that doesn't mean anything. I think we'll see the active pattern continue though. We may have more risk of ptype issues in the near future, but its sometimes the price to pay for an active pattern. Hopefully we remain on the cold side of the boundary coming up next and we see mostly snow.

I still can't believe BDL getting 25" of snow...thats almost impossible for them.

would it be correct to say that the KU book only includes high 2s+ on NESIS (not including the near miss section of course)?

No, it has April 1997 in the main chapter despite it only being a cat 1. I think it has Feb 1995 in the main section too.

edit: Feb 1995 was a cat 2...so that doesn't count

Savoy: 34.5″

Florida: 33″

Windsor: 29″

Becket: 28″

West Chesterfield: 26.3″

North Adams: 26″

Washington: 25″

Blandford: 25″

Adams: 24.5″

Cheshire: 24″

Are these Real???? I mean it Is the mountains, but Seriously?

If so, the people saying 30" would be Right which is Huge Props to them!! I mean New Haven and New Fairfield almost had 30" so they won Anyway......

22.5" Here - Top 10 Snowstorm. Only FOURTH Time in History that I've had 2 15" + Storms within a Month of each other. Amaaaaazing.

That was the last truly great March here IMHO. I think we had 25" or so and we had a great "positive bust" on March 12, 2005. Got nearly a foot of snow when 3-5" was forecasted.

We are certainly due, but of course that doesn't mean anything. I think we'll see the active pattern continue though. We may have more risk of ptype issues in the near future, but its sometimes the price to pay for an active pattern. Hopefully we remain on the cold side of the boundary coming up next and we see mostly snow.

I still can't believe BDL getting 25" of snow...thats almost impossible for them.

Was 3-12-05 the flash freeze storm? That was a great March..even got a nice event at the end on the 24th. I had 18" total. Since then every March has pretty much sucked here. March '07 was okay got 8". Then got shutout in March '08, had 3/2 in '09, and another shutout last March.

Yeah that's incredible that BDL got 25" (if they really did). I suppose it is possible..didn't it snow the majority of the day there? I was just far enough west that I didn't have any additional accumulation after 10 AM.

Savoy: 34.5″

Florida: 33″

Windsor: 29″

Becket: 28″

West Chesterfield: 26.3″

North Adams: 26″

Washington: 25″

Blandford: 25″

Adams: 24.5″

Cheshire: 24″

Are these Real???? I mean it Is the mountains, but Seriously?

If so, the people saying 30" would be Right which is Huge Props to them!! I mean New Haven and New Fairfield almost had 30" so they won Anyway......

22.5" Here - Top 10 Snowstorm. Only FOURTH Time in History that I've had 2 15" + Storms within a Month of each other. Amaaaaazing.

50 bucks says HVN didn't actually get 30"...

Yeah, like I said, as long as we are still doing great and not smoking cirrus every storm, I don't care if they go historic on us...they deserve a good one after the screw jobs they've gotten. You can even go back to '00-'01 too. If Kevin had lived in Tolland back then, he would have went insane watching what happened just to his northeast in ORH county and SW NH.

I do think we'll see some more typical Nina events which will allow us to close the gap a bit as you said, but I'm sure if it will be enough. Even if we do close the gap and get similar totals...still a better winter there relative to climo.

I did live in Tolland then..but thankfully the board didn't exist

Archived