e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
January 11-12 Snowmageddon disco- III

stratuslove

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice pics. It's the same here, with snow caked on everything...trees, wires, houses..everything. Looks impressive. This weenie snow is dropping like a tenth or two here and there.

Thanks Scott. That area along the Riverway between JP and Brookline is really nicely wooded as you can see. Great place for dogs if you can keep control by voice which thankfully I can.

Yeah though my house typically averaging maybe 10 more/year than Logan is probably similar to them though I picked up (eyeball) around 15 today. We got dryslotted early after the big push. Logan had trouble early because they were 33 for most of the event but in reality the issue wasn't that...it was mainly the capricious placement (it seems) of bands. The 12/26 event was the opposite and they picked up 18.2. But around Boston even in the city and on the water, this was a much higher impact event.

Wow, I'm surprised temperatures were so mild there. I was at 22-23F for most of the event; despite receiving less QPF than SNE, I still managed to rack up 14.5" with the great ratios.

I think this storm puts BDL at 45.8'' for the season thus far, already much higher than last year's total and winter isn't even close to being done. I wonder if we can make this a top 10 winter here? I think we'd have to break 69.9'' for that but I'll double check as soon as I can find where I put my notes.

My sister lives on the eastern side of town and she is ADAMANT that 24" total from Wilmington is representative of what she got; said WHDH was @ the Wilmington plaza and stuck a ruler into the parking lot surface and it read 26" (they made sure it wasn not a drift, accourding to her).

Needless to say, I will be over there tmw to thoroughly sample the property and get to the bottom of Wilmington's "Weeniegate".....Unlikely, but mesoscale phenomena is plausible in systems of this ilk.

I don't buy it; these huge storms are susceptible to RAD and Ruler hallucinations, alike.

My sister lives on the eastern side of town and she is ADAMANT that 24" total from Wilmington is representative of what she got; said WHDH was @ the Wilmington plaza and stuck a ruler in the ground and it read 26".

Needless to say, I will be over there tmw to thoroughly sample the property and get to the bottom of Wilmington's "Weeniegate".....Unlikely, but mesoscale phenomena is plausible in systems of this ilk.

Will you be also checking real estate listings in the area? lol..

Ok, boys.....High confidence measurement: 20.5" Storm total

Avg Depth-21"....Max Depth-23"

Where does this rank for me:

1) April 1997....30" Wet Snow bomb

2) Jan 2005: 25" of powder

3) Dec 1992: 21" Wet snow bomb

4 Jan 2011: 20.5" .....Wet snow, transitioning to fluff towards the end.

5) March 2001: 20" of wet snow.

This is JUST missing being dubbed a top 3 event for me.

Still don't know how you got 30" while many areas around you got 24 but, "se la veh"

Ok, boys.....High confidence measurement: 20.5" Storm total

Avg Depth-21"....Max Depth-23"

Where does this rank for me:

1) April 1997....30" Wet Snow bomb

2) Jan 2005: 25" of powder

3) Dec 1992: 21" Wet snow bomb

4 Jan 2011: 20.5" .....Wet snow, transitioning to fluff towards the end.

5) March 2001: 20" of wet snow.

This is JUST missing being dubbed a top 3 event for me.

Taunton reports 24" IYBY

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=0&highlight=off&issuedby=BOX&product=PNS

My sister lives on the eastern side of town and she is ADAMANT that 24" total from Wilmington is representative of what she got; said WHDH was @ the Wilmington plaza and stuck a ruler into the parking lot surface and it read 26" (they made sure it wasn not a drift, accourding to her).

I don't buy it; these huge storms are susceptible to RAD and Ruler hallucinations, alike.

[quote name=((((d-_-B))))' timestamp='1294888559' post='285265]

Taunton reports 24" IYBY

http://forecast.weat...BOX&product=PNS

I actually live right up route 129 from the Plaza on Jacquith Road. I'll take a look to verify two. But it is definately plausable.

2005-2006 and 1970-1971 round off the top 10 at BDL with 69.9''. If we want to get top 5 we have to break 80.2'' which occurred in 1960-1961. I think this definitely could be doable but we'll see.

But BDL has over reported about fifteen inches of that total so far this season. While today may be spot on, the total for the season so far over there is seriously inflated.

But BDL has over reported about fifteen inches of that total so far this season. While today may be spot on, the total for the season so far over there is seriously inflated.

BDL inflated horribly in the Dec 26 storm...and the norlun event. But yeah, their total today matches up well with surrounding obs.

Measured another .9 since 330pm. Will go with 13.4 as a final. Not bad...especially since i satisfied my +TSSN fetish. Lol.

That second bolt of lightning scared the shi it out of me. Summer intense, in the yard close, instant crack and thunder, actually heard snow fall off the roof from the boom. Insane

BDL inflated horribly in the Dec 26 storm...and the norlun event. But yeah, their total today matches up well with surrounding obs.

Yeah that sucks that happened but what do we do really? It's unfortunately down in the records already and unless there is some way of getting more accurate totals into the books do we really have a choice but to go by it? Asterisk perhaps? :lol:

Yeah that sucks that happened but what do we do really? It's unfortunately down in the records already and unless there is some way of getting more accurate totals into the books do we really have a choice but to go by it? Asterisk perhaps? :lol:

There can be investigations into that kind of thing though bc I think I remember BWI lowering totals after one of the big storms last year bc the amounts were just too high. I am not a hundred pct on that but I know I read something about it.

I know I have said this before but I lived in

Bristol Ct for thirty years, being too young to appreciate 78 and 83 events...hoping beyond hope for a two footer and since I left there in 04 they have had two 2' events..with three to four inch/hr rates...FEB 06 and JAN 11

We had a solid 18 here in spfd but did not get any of those crazy rates or thundersnow...and that is how you get that extra four to eight inches in one of these type events

Archived