• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
January 11-12 Snowmageddon disco- III

stratuslove

Tell me about it! lol. Every time I hung up the keyboard after a post I was thinking, "yeah, but that means I'm an azzhole" - oy vei.

You know what is the really elusive number? 30" I have been through 3 in my life, 1978, 1992, and 1997. I have experience well over 10 20s though. Something about that - I mean, why isn't it 40".

I think 4/97 was my real true 30". Jan '05 was close, but may have been just shy, thanks to 70mph winds.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I measured 28 here in Wallingford. Looks like Northern New Haven County was the jackpot in CT.

...NEW HAVEN COUNTY...

NORTH HAVEN 29.5 1120 AM 1/12 PUBLIC

MERIDEN 29.0 120 PM 1/12 SKYWARN SPOTTER

SOUTHBURY 28.0 1120 AM 1/12 PUBLIC

CHESHIRE 25.5 300 PM 1/12 PUBLIC

GUILFORD 24.5 300 PM 1/12 PUBLIC

NORTH BRANFORD 24.0 1240 PM 1/12 PUBLIC

What is your on the ground total with the snow from the prior events left over?

Ok, boys.....High confidence measurement: 20.5" Storm total

Avg Depth-21"....Max Depth-23"

Where does this rank for me:

1) April 1997....30" Wet Snow bomb

2) Jan 2005: 25" of powder

3) Dec 1992: 21" Wet snow bomb

4 Jan 2011: 20.5" .....Wet snow, transitioning to fluff towards the end.

5) March 2001: 20" of wet snow.

This is JUST missing being dubbed a top 3 event for me.

4 Jan 2011: 20.5" Wet snow, transitioning to fluff towards the end.

Nice! Finally did it.

4 Jan 2011: 20.5" Wet snow, transitioning to fluff towards the end.

Nice! Now we need another storm next week to get top depths!

The avg depth of the new snow is about 17.5"....it compacted a decent amount throughout most of the event since it was wet, but the final couple inches are fluff.

The 20.5" total is derived via the wipe and clear method (every 6 hrs).....it is what it is.

That's how you do it. You're pretty meticulous with your measurements as everyone should be. I have problems with clearing an area and then measuring because of blowing and drifting, but I try to do what I can. If worse came to worse, stick a ruler in the ground and look at the obs to try and get the best guess.

Why is no one talking about New Fairfield and New Haven?

29/29.5"

FOURTY Inches in 5 days, and 55" + for the season.....!!

oh trust me people in connecticut are.it is a 1 in 15 yr event down here my son 14 and daughter 12 never experienced a storm over 10 inches this blew there minds. we have 20 inches in Branford on top of 6 from the other day last time this happened 1996. m yt season total is 36 inches

We're waiting but it's still snowing lightly imby so presumably there too? My guess is it will be 13.7. Pure guess based on the 1pm number of 11.6 and the bands since.

Nice pics. It's the same here, with snow caked on everything...trees, wires, houses..everything. Looks impressive. This weenie snow is dropping like a tenth or two here and there.

We're waiting but it's still snowing lightly imby so presumably there too? My guess is it will be 13.7. Pure guess based on the 1pm number of 11.6 and the bands since.

Ah OK, I guess Logan didn't get nearly as much as parts of interior Mass and Connecticut. That's also another reason it's hard to reach 73" there, they never seem to measure as much and marginal events perform the worst on the open ocean. You're definitely racking it up for Logan but it sounds like some people outside the city center have recorded a bunch more this season.

Nice Jerry congrats, LOL on the Epic meltdown

You read it? It was vintage weenie. Then I forced myself up after under 3 hours sleep in a regime where there have been few nights of greater than 5 hours sleep outside of weekends since early Dec. Strong and active winters do that and make me think of the greatness of retirement. The day I can afford it...I'm out. Probably when my 11 yo graduates HS if I have enough in her college acct.

Ah OK, I guess Logan didn't get nearly as much as parts of interior Mass and Connecticut. That's also another reason it's hard to reach 73" there, they never seem to measure as much and marginal events perform the worst on the open ocean. You're definitely racking it up for Logan but it sounds like some people outside the city center have recorded a bunch more this season.

Yeah though my house typically averaging maybe 10 more/year than Logan is probably similar to them though I picked up (eyeball) around 15 today. We got dryslotted early after the big push. Logan had trouble early because they were 33 for most of the event but in reality the issue wasn't that...it was mainly the capricious placement (it seems) of bands. The 12/26 event was the opposite and they picked up 18.2. But around Boston even in the city and on the water, this was a much higher impact event.

I live near Logan and a mile inland and even I sometimes see a difference. Logan doesn't have a guy right there at all times to measure either. It sometimes puts them in a tough spot.

Nice pics. It's the same here, with snow caked on everything...trees, wires, houses..everything. Looks impressive. This weenie snow is dropping like a tenth or two here and there.

Yeah I'm really curious about BOS. I think they may have picked up 1.5 in the band around 3 and maybe another inch in snizzle/sn- . Still light snow, about another 1/2 inch since shoveling around 4:30.

Archived