Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 11-12 Storm Obs/Discussion

clskinsfan

ruc_500_000m.gif

the reason things are starting earlier is because the vorticity is further North and East than modeled.. remember most models indicated the first flakes would be in around 4-6 PM and done by midnight. If we can keep that vorticity packed nicely, and move it along just a little faster, then we can start to see a real explosion as moisture advects in from the south and the low moves north.

sfnt.gif?1294771902546

there is some very decent frontogenesis going on so as the shortwave from the west moves in before that instability moves north we all may get a very nice surprise.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feels like I'm watching for a pop up thunderstorm in august. Nothing organized- at least yet. Had 10 flakes in wheaton an hour or so ago. Nothing now. Stuff coming from the west seems somewhat interesting, but I have no clue what it foreshadows. I'm close to giving up in terms of expecting anything, but certainly have given up trying to understand the synoptics at this point.

the sky is beginning to darken here... loaded up satellite to see when things begin to convect. flurries/light snow stopped a while ago but it looks like a new batch is moving its way in.

post-3403-0-45339600-1294772473.png

based on where the spotty activity set up this morning and based on the traectory of the precip moving in from the west, the area where those 2 converge should be the non screw area. thats basically where my hashed area is... south and west of there... sorry but these kind of energy transfers always screw someone.... my final forecast... within 25 miles inside of that hashed area, 1-4, 25-75 miles, 3-9, 75+ miles, 7+, all this depending on where the convective banding sets up later... which is impossible to tell... note that the CCB has NOT formed yet, but this is the area I believe it will form when all is said and done... if the MW system moves in a little faster or the Cape Hatteras system a little slower, then the hatched area can get pulled slightly south and west.

the sky is beginning to darken here... loaded up satellite to see when things begin to convect. flurries/light snow stopped a while ago but it looks like a new batch is moving its way in.

post-3403-0-45339600-1294772473.png

based on where the spotty activity set up this morning and based on the traectory of the precip moving in from the west, the area where those 2 converge should be the non screw area. thats basically where my hashed area is... south and west of there... sorry but these kind of energy transfers always screw someone.... my final forecast... within 25 miles inside of that hashed area, 1-4, 25-75 miles, 3-9, 75+ miles, 7+, all this depending on where the convective banding sets up later... which is impossible to tell... note that the CCB has NOT formed yet, but this is the area I believe it will form when all is said and done... if the MW system moves in a little faster or the Cape Hatteras system a little slower, then the hatched area can get pulled slightly south and west.

The stuff in the west is actually moving NE and not due east. Looks like where it would converge with the southern system would be further north and east.

The stuff in the west is actually moving NE and not due east. Looks like where it would converge with the southern system would be further north and east.

very valid point... also looks like the stuff in NC is taking off NE in a hurry.... things need to get their act together quick... like within the next few hours... as the convergence begins, it will start to slow down the hatteras system ever so slightly, question is will it be enough... we are truly on the fringe in this scenario. If i need to adjust that hashed area in a few hours based on what I'm seeing I will.

one very disconcertint hing is the evidence of brighter clouds in NoVA on satellite... the 700 low needs to dip south east quick or we are all going to get screwed with dry air (and it will become a dec. 26 redux)... a lot of little things going right with this system... but a lot also going very wrong. its going to be a counter balance... which wins out in the end.

Where did you dig up that weenie radar image?

thats my GR2AE dude except i dont turn off low echos... here's the color scale.

post-3403-0-60309100-1294773698.png

its a good scaale for clear air mode and regular mode... probably not the best winter scale but it works awesome during severe season to pick up outflow boundaries etc

if u want it just shoot me a PM and i'll give u the tpl file

thats my GR2AE dude except i dont turn off low echos... here's the color scale.

post-3403-0-60309100-1294773698.png

its a good scaale for clear air mode and regular mode... probably not the best winter scale but it works awesome during severe season to pick up outflow boundaries etc

if u want it just shoot me a PM and i'll give u the tpl file

No thanks - I'll just use a satellite image.. same thing

Archived