• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
D.C.'s 1st inch of snow - date and how much

Ian

Predict the first 1" or greater snowfall at DCA.

Presict the total snowfall

Since we're chopping off days already (not that it ever really snows in November except in pretend world).... choose both date and total snowfall.

DATE will be the main decider, but if there is a tiebreaker we'll go to snowfall. Closest to date wins, if tie, closest to date and snow wins.

EXAMPLE:

12/18/2010 - 3.2"

Winner will receive: 8x10 ver of "Snowmageddon: Washington's Record-breaking Winter of 2009-10," co-authored by me and Kevin Ambrose (foreward by Paul Kocin, intro by Jason Samenow) and available in the next week. 120 pages of the best winter ever. Contest is open through 11/24.

Good luck.

11/19 EDIT: Please note, if the event is more than one day, the day you choose is the day you think the first 1"+ snowfall happens even if more comes the next day. While the total you use is the event total rather than just a daily total.

I updated the initial post to try to explain. In short, Kenny is right.

If you choose 12/2 and 3" of snow and there is a storm that goes from Dec 2-3 and drops 1.5 total with 1" on the 2nd, you are correct on the date and .5 off total. If the storm hit 12/1-2 and dropped 6" (with at least 1" coming on the first) you got the date wrong by 1 and the total wrong by 3.

I hope it's not too confusing that we have to start over. :P

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ballsy, Ellinwood. 3.4! I sure hope you're right.

EDIT: Although with the 2010 magic who knows?

I'm speculating that we get 70-80% of our total snowfall for the season in December, with a late Feb/early March storm to close out. That, coupled with my thoughts that we would get 12-16" of snow this year, brought me to that number.

Gotta get our storms in before the cold air runs out!

I'm speculating that we get 70-80% of our total snowfall for the season in December, with a late Feb/early March storm to close out. That, coupled with my thoughts that we would get 12-16" of snow this year, brought me to that number.

Gotta get our storms in before the cold air runs out!

+1 :snowman:

I like the way you think. Lets hop into winter and jackpot before the 2010 magic ends. Watch us torch and get no snow after December. :arrowhead:

Archived